Downer Group Employee Reviews in Auckland City, Auckland

Staffs are rude
Electrical Inspector (Former Employee) –  Auckland13 February 2018
Today there was road works carried on my street and no signs were visible but down the road was stopped by a ride work and when asked for the sign failed to show one.
When call to the head office with complaint of the staff been so rude the office staff was even worst.
Wow downer is losing its touch with people.
Qualitative testing and fun place
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland11 February 2018
I was working on project at NCTIR, it was a whole challenging project.it was first time I was working individual and was challenging at start to managing all client test request and submit reports. It was good experience to learn management skills. it was a good team and we have a fun time over a weekend.
Pros
Learning never stop
See also later review
Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland3 February 2018
The role was on a fixed term contract in the quality / project engineer role.

The contact was part 2 of a 2 part contract, installing steam pipes, from geothermal well heads to a new geothermal power station in the central north island.

Downer were, reportedly awarded the work in preference to the stage 1 contractor, in part to due to the clients dissatisfaction with the Stage 1 contractors documentation of their work.

Downer set up a well defined and resourced process for controlling quality and producing documentation for the works. My job was to deliver it.

The project had a number of challenges, including constructability issues and time pressures. The new steam pipes needed to be ready in time to turn the turbines in the new power station when they were ready to start earning the client money to repay their investment.

The project was successful for both my employer and the client and led to the offer of more permanent employment with Downer. The project convinced me of the benefits of a well defined process.
Pros
Great team spirit.
Cons
Long hours & time pressure.
A growing Infrastructure construction and maintenance company
Project Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Auckland3 February 2018
Downer NZ has a number of divisions including Road Maintenance, Technology, Transportation, Road Science, and Infrastructure Projects. It has changed a lot in recent times making some important acquisitions in building and building services.

Downer operates in a number of ways, including term contracts, alliances, and tendered projects.

I work in the Infrastructure Projects division which has, over the past three years, evolved from regional teams working on local projects, to a one team philosophy, lead by two general managers split geographically - North Island based in Auckland and South Island based in Christchurch.

This change required site staff to become more flexible over location, with extended periods working away from home. For me this has brought both pros and cons such as travel and increased income but a reduction in work life balance and much time spent away from loved ones. Others view the opportunity to spend 12 months to 3 years working at different locations around the country, on larger infrastructure projects, some of National importance, as a major draw card for working in this division of the business.

The New Zealand Pike River Mining disaster, brought with it law changes that have forced all major Australasian companies to review the way they manage risk.

Downer NZ Infrastructure Projects is no exception and is looking to become more process driven, as reflected in it taking on ISO 9001:2015 accreditation this year and investing in a new governance team to develop it's Integrated Management System (IMS and improve it's Project Management
  more... Method(s).  less
Pros
Importance of the work
Cons
Work life balance
lovely experience
Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland8 January 2018
loved every minute of working at downers. management is great and understanding. All employees were a pleasure to work with, lots of fun I recommend all new comers.
Productive, the Company of Opportunities
Team Leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Auckland NZ5 January 2017
I spent 8 years here!!! learnt so much, I was exposed to so much of the business hence the reason I am working for them in Melbourne currently. Made so many good friends, good management, and also had the opportunity to be part of a lot of teams including the Leadership team that I thoroughly enjoyed. Hardest part of my job was having to leave to relocate and learn new things.
not really
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland28 September 2016
I did learn a lot but the centre is not a welcoming place to work in not many positive people work there needs more positive and Encouraging leaders..........................
Productive Workplace with Foosball Tournament.
Senior IT Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland28 September 2016
*A typical day at work starts with answering ticket in the Remedy queue
*I learned that being assertive will go a long way.
*The management is easy-going.
*Co-workers are really helpful
*The hardest part of the job is coming up with a decision when a manager has an unsure feedback.
*Most enjoyable part of the job is when user's are satisfied with the service our team provides. This also includes when a project is completed.
Pros
Very nice office spaces
Cons
Demanding users
Supportive management structure with professionalism
Area Engineer (Former Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand30 April 2015
Management team, although quite often changed, showed professionalism in carrying out actions and listening to the staff feedback. Typical day work would be to visit sites, audit, keep control of the finance and operations of all sites.
fun & challenging
Services Technician -Level (Former Employee) –  Auckland, N1 February 2015
day begins with picking up jobs & job assessment know what type of fault you are tackling check to have the right tools also know the type of work & amount of time will be used on job good relation with co-workers is not having the right mentality for the job doing new work everyday also having a chance to work in other parts of the country.
Pros
having work from home
Cons
bad relationship with co-workers
A company with excellent work culture and really looks after its employees
Contract Engineer (Former Employee) –  Auckland, N7 November 2012
Downer EDI Works is committed to designing, constructing and maintaining the best solutions for its customers while focusing on the safety of its employees and the sustainability of the communities in which it operates. It can offer its employees a variety of work and provides comprehensive training and career development opportunities.