Downer Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Downer Group Employee Reviews in Christchurch, Canterbury

Great Experience
A typical day at work includes installing new service and troubleshooting problems on existing service. I have excellent co-workers and good relationships with all of them! The hardest part of my job is the uncertainty of what I will be doing from day to day.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Work not organied very well. Could be better.
Productive place
good place to work and has the potential for excellent career development as it works in many industries. After working so many years for Downer I felt like part of the family
Good work environment
I was in a crew of 6 top blokes
Our team leader brilliant health and safety very good

The best part of the day was the debrief of the day over a cold beer
Pros
Good overtime
Cons
Long days
Good experience
- Working on my own, co-worker jealous but overall ok
- Gained new skill

- Day/Night Shift with good benefit on Nights

- downside 10h minimum shift not always respected

- Reason for leaving, no opportunity for sponsor and girlfriend pregnant
Pros
Own Vehicle
Cons
Company Location
Challenging company
Downer were a great company to work for in the first two years but over the last year they are struggling to recruit and maintain staff. Unfortunately I feel that this is due to the nature of work and the company being one of the lowest paying in the industry. I have however learnt many new skills in the industry and progressed a few times to the role I am currently in. I currently have a great team that I look after and have fought to keep them but Downer just aren't willing to pay their worth. The hardest part of the job for me is the lack of planning and organisation by my superiors. While i have no problem thinking on my feet and finding solutions to these problems I feel that the company is too focused to cost cutting and not on its workers requirements.
Pros
over time allowences
Cons
looking after its people
Interesting
I was employed as a temp, but the Business who owned the machinery I was operating came back to Downers as his employment had ceased and stated he was going to work his equipment - so my role unfortunately ceased.
Pros
Great Foreman
Cons
Distance to travel to work
fun work place
most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new and interesting people and allowed to think outside the square .
doing jobs in time and under budget when told they couldn't be done , travelling through the sth island to do jobs .some times middle management got to comfortable in their jobs and were sometimes frustrating to work with and for

co workers took along time before they classed you as one of them - but came good in the end.

the hardest part of the job was being a newbie and bringing in new ideas that worked but weren't always acted on .

typical day was pre start meetings , ordering material , forward planning and fingers crossed everything went as planned
Pros
doing jobs on time and under budget, when told it couldnt be done
Cons
some of the middle management were to comfortable in their jobs
Recruitment Agecies
high staff turnover, management terrible, no communication, treat temps like dirt,
Pros
hours
Cons
company
Downer is like a big family and very people orientated
A typical day would not be without; problem solving, troubleshooting and management of expectations.

We would learn something every day whether it be technical detail or how to minimize risks.

Both the hardest and most enjoyable part of the job was the employment relations.
Pros
Job satisfaction and great people.