Downer Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Downer Group Employee Reviews in Dunedin, Otago

Dunedin, Otago7 reviews
Fast paced environment, challenging staff issues, communication was not the greatest and management were not easily available. They do have a good health and safety plan which is communicated well.
Pros
Work vehicle.
Cons
No recognition for long hours
very hard fast paced work but kept food on the table the management was great and showed you how its done very well, id recommend this to anyone that isn't afraid of hard work
Receiving in Stock, organising inbound / outbound stock and equipment, I also order all stock for the store, supplying the infrastructure side of the business.
This covers areas including all central Otago , as far north as Oamaru.

I also receipt and process all invoices that happen to come through the store, Also I communicate with and have a close working relationship with all of the suppliers that provide the equipment that we need here.

I find the Job reasonably easy to handle each day through time management and talking with other staff and managers about their upcoming needs and requirements.
Pros
Staff are easy to get along with and enjoy a joke or two
Cons
Possibility for advancement is not all that good.
working with downer has given me all the skills I need in life
and cant say more good things about the company.

the system that they work under means your safety is well looked after.
Working for Downer was a great company to work for, they were really safety focused, which made everyone stop and just take 5, before we started our day. They were also big on training, so if were unsure we would be either shown by someone, or we would all be trained together so everyone was up to speed. Our field manger was fantastic, always there to help or even come out to the job site and help us to get the problem sorted.
A typical start, was ringing every customer, that was booked in for a Optical install, just to let them know we were coming, and also to we were coming on the right day and time that they had been informed by there internet provider.

Then we would look at all the information we had of were the fibre was located in the street and work out the best route to the house, and consult with them on the best place for all the hardware to make the new optical connection work.

Everyone that worked on the installs were great, always there to help or lend equipment if necessary. Great people, great work environment and when the job that the customer was happy with and the fibre was up and working at the speed they had signed up for that always made the day a good day.

Hardest part was when we would have blocked tubes which meant the fibre wasn't able to be blown from the street to the house. Which meat it was passed back to the build contractor who put all the tube's in, to come back and dig up and fix the problem, which delayed the customer from switching to fibre.
Pros
Fully equiped van, phone, tablet. Great team, good management.
Cons
Sometimes long days to finish the job for the comitment date.
I like to challenge myself at any task given to me. I am hard working and like to be hands on. Working in with the workforce has its rewards to earning respect.

Working with people is what I enjoy. I have learn't that people are the hardest tool to work with but if they are treated as you expect them to treat you the result is better performance.
We do everything on a different place every day. Provisioning more than maintenance, as everyone wants broadband on those days. Have learned a lot on the last 7 Years, We travel between places and bring a good service to our customers.
Safety is priority.

Hardest part is DSL frequent disconnection, when you have to take time to discover where is your fault. Most enjoyable part is when you do 10 jobs on a day, because you get paid for what you do.
Pros
Great pay and working outside.
Cons
Weather