Downer Group Employee Reviews in Dunedin, Otago

great
Redundancy bringing my apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, S19 November 2015
working with downer has given me all the skills I need in life
and cant say more good things about the company.
the system that they work under means your safety is well looked after.
Great company,people,managers.
Optical Fibre Technician (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, S18 May 2015
Working for Downer was a great company to work for, they were really safety focused, which made everyone stop and just take 5, before we started our day. They were also big on training, so if were unsure we would be either shown by someone, or we would all be trained together so everyone was up to speed. Our field manger was fantastic, always there to help or even come out to the job site and help us to get the problem sorted.
A typical start, was ringing every customer, that was booked in for a Optical install, just to let them know we were coming, and also to we were coming on the right day and time that they had been informed by there internet provider.
Then we would look at all the information we had of were the fibre was located in the street and work out the best route to the house, and consult with them on the best place for all the hardware to make the new optical connection work.
Everyone that worked on the installs were great, always there to help or lend equipment if necessary. Great people, great work environment and when the job that the customer was happy with and the fibre was up and working at the speed they had signed up for that always made the day a good day.
Hardest part was when we would have blocked tubes which meant the fibre wasn't able to be blown from the street to the house. Which meat it was passed back to the build contractor who put all the tube's in, to come back and dig up and fix the problem, which delayed the customer from switching to fibre.
Pros
Fully equiped van, phone, tablet. Great team, good management.
Cons
Sometimes long days to finish the job for the comitment date.
My working Ethos
Quality Mentor (Former Employee) –  Dunedin11 February 2015
I like to challenge myself at any task given to me. I am hard working and like to be hands on. Working in with the workforce has its rewards to earning respect.

Working with people is what I enjoy. I have learn't that people are the hardest tool to work with but if they are treated as you expect them to treat you the result is better performance.
Great job and a good place to work.
Field Staff Technician (Current Employee) –  Dunedin New Zealand21 January 2015
We do everything on a different place every day. Provisioning more than maintenance, as everyone wants broadband on those days. Have learned a lot on the last 7 Years, We travel between places and bring a good service to our customers.
Safety is priority.
Hardest part is DSL frequent disconnection, when you have to take time to discover where is your fault. Most enjoyable part is when you do 10 jobs on a day, because you get paid for what you do.
Pros
Great pay and working outside.
Cons
Weather