Downer Group Employee Reviews in Hamilton, Waikato

Enjoyable
Site Traffic Management Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton New Zealand5 April 2017
Clocking in was always something id look forward to. Getting to catch up with the work crew well waiting for the supervisor to send us to our jobs. every morning as a team we would all help each other out by loading each vehicle with the equipment we needed for the day. once we new where the job was going to be and our vehicles had the equipment we needed we would then make our way to the job and set up. it was never a dull day with the crew members i worked with we were all like family looked after each other at work like we would do our own family's at home. every day i was learning new things from individual team members whether it was helping load the digger on to the truck to showing me how each plant/machinery worked which i really enjoyed because i was learning the knowledge from the experienced operators. They were never fussed in teaching members in there crew how things were done they always looked at it like we were the up an coming workers so if they needed the extra hand if the operator wasn't in for the day or two then we would have the experience to operate which was also good cause they would then help put the guys through there licences to get them qualified. the whole 6 years 3 months i was with Downers was an amazing journey from knowing hardly anything to becoming a person who has gained so much knowledge all thanks to the people who i had worked with well been there.
Productivity was good and the workplace was excellent.
Driver/ STMS Sealling crew (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato6 March 2017
I enjoyed working with the crew I was with because we all got to know how each person worked and what their limitations were. I was working as a temp .
Being out with the selling crew , it was all about keeping everyone safe as there is a lot of danger around the job and we would all have a tailgate before starting any job and the hazards that could happen.
The hardest part of the day is when everyone is tired at the end of the day and we have to pack up, signs/cones any paper that was used.
I enjoyed the job regardless , I love hard work.
We always managed to finish our roads so we were quite Productive for Downers EDI.
Pros
Team work, long hours, everyone looked after each other.
Cons
Sometimes we never had enough signs or other equipment for on the road. It was, work with what you got.
Very organised and great management/co-workers
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, New Zealand12 November 2015
The most enjoyable part of working was my co-workers.
I enjoyed most days because of how my co-workers were.
Management were very organised with most things.
We were well informed with what was going on in the company and what our tasks and goals were for the week,day,month,year.
We were definitely rewarded for our work.
Nepotism and prejudism rule the workplace
Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato2 August 2015
There is no job security or management support at ITS Downers Group.
You are a temp so you wait for a text each day to know whether there will be work the next day - impossible to budget, scary when you have a household to support.
The staff break company rules and NZ laws constantly and when you report this to management, you are the one punished by getting no work. Some of the staff drink and drive, turn up to work intoxicated, drive without appropriate licenses and ITS Downers say they practice "zero harm".
DON'T work for this company!!!
Pros
Cons
See above
Long hours and work overload
Business Technician Inside Plant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton2 October 2014
Start at 7:30am Finish whenever. Stand by and Call out on weekends every third week. Sometimes travelling great distances to jobs around the country.
Learned to programme MUX cabinets, ADSL, VDSL, wireless ADSL and digital phone systems. Installing BRA & PRA networks.
Management was good when left to own devices. Supplied equipment and resources when needed.
Great co-workers, Three of us covered TelstraClears network from Waikato, Coromandle, Bay of plenty to Taumarunui. Worked as a team and always helped one another.
Hardest part of the job was always doing overtime, standby and callouts.
Enjoyed working with high tech equipment.
Pros
Enjoyed the high tech equipment.
Cons
Long hours low wages.
I.T.S
traffic control (Current Employee) –  hamilton17 November 2012
theres only one thing hard on traffic control and thats standing doing stop go for 10 to 15hrs a day with no break 5 days a week maybe if there was a way of sitting down then itll be great
good
s.t.m.s (Former Employee) –  hamilton1 September 2012
always good working in diferent areas of the waikato,i learnt different ways of work sites to ensure safety.wasnt realy a difficult job hardest part for me was standing on stop/go for long periods of the day.i enjoyed moving around from rural sites,highways and scenic routes.
Pros
cruisy job
Cons
lack of exercise on the job