Downer Group Employee Reviews for Fiber Technician

3.9Pay & Benefits
3.4Job Security & Advancement
work in site
Fibre Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Invercargill, Southland20 February 2016
work with my fellow workers in downer i enjoy with them ,i learned how to communicate especially my english language ,i enjoyed my work in UFB installing splitters in flash 9 .work as work teamate .
Pros
more technical trainings
Cons
more overtimes
Great company,people,managers.
Optical Fibre Technician (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, S18 May 2015
Working for Downer was a great company to work for, they were really safety focused, which made everyone stop and just take 5, before we started our day. They were also big on training, so if were unsure we would be either shown by someone, or we would all be trained together so everyone was up to speed. Our field manger was fantastic, always there to help or even come out to the job site and help us to get the problem sorted.
A typical start, was ringing every customer, that was booked in for a Optical install, just to let them know we were coming, and also to we were coming on the right day and time that they had been informed by there internet provider.
Then we would look at all the information we had of were the fibre was located in the street and work out the best route to the house, and consult with them on the best place for all the hardware to make the new optical connection work.
Everyone that worked on the installs were great, always there to help or lend equipment if necessary. Great people, great work environment and when the job that the customer was happy with and the fibre was up and working at the speed they had signed up for that always made the day a good day.
Hardest part was when we would have blocked tubes which meant the fibre wasn't able to be blown from the street to the house. Which meat it was passed back to the build contractor who put all the tube's in, to come back and dig up and fix the problem, which delayed the customer from switching to fibre.
Pros
Fully equiped van, phone, tablet. Great team, good management.
Cons
Sometimes long days to finish the job for the comitment date.