Downer Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Downer Group Employee Reviews for Fitter

Fitter13 reviews
Good Supervisors will find work for you or recommend you to other projects. Hard to get time off when required even if you have the hours up, but that's most construction companies
very understanding at the start Indirect discrimination at the extreme level A lot of promises but no out come Lured into the trap of promotion and as per the company requirements I found out after 2 months there was never such thing team leader position and got pushed away from home which added up one extra hour of travel
learnt new things about oil and gas. good teamwork and good supervision. salary was good as well as the location. would work for them again.
Pros
location
Cons
permits
I like the people I worked with. the type of work I was involved with was very interesting and rewarding. would like to work with these people again.
Pros
good accomodation
Cons
To be honest. The workman in Australia, have too many issues and bad work ethic. Especially Downer , Vic. I wouldnt work with them again. They seem to think their EBA, is better than any other. All management came from Geelong. They would rather wait for a little rain to come, instead of actually working. My Supervisor from South Africa didnt want me too leave. But i put up with enough immature people. Safety went out the window. The wrong flagging used when hydrotesting, if they actually put it up...! Threats from workman, because the bledisloe cup was on, which was disputed by most people to watch. Because they dont watch or support that sport. AFL only. So i had to leave early with others.
Pros
safety lady bringing ice blocks around site.
Cons
Bad work attitude
Working at Downer EDI Rail was very rewarding, I was trained in the things I needed to do then left alone and trusted to get the job done and had support from my supervisor's if required. I acquired many new qualifications working here so that gave me the ability to perform many different tasks, so job variety was good and I enjoyed the different challenges that came my way. It was a rather large group of people that worked here, and as I seem to get along with anyone, became a trusted and respected workmate with them all.
This job is an enjoyable, interesting one with an easy going but productive vibe. To learn how the network of pipeline and compressor stations interact is eye opening. The heat in Qld can be oppressive but when well managed through appropriate rest breaks etc, is bearable.
You start a day with being assigned your task and do a take 5 or SWMPS. You plan your assigned task and ask for additional resource should you require. After completion of task, you do a general house keeping and if your shift is not over you assist others as required. Training opportunity is great at Downer and the management is readily available to assist as needs arises. Your co-workers are good and they assist whenever required so general team work is evident. The hardest part of the job is when special tools are not available and the small tasks prolongs. The most enjoyable part of work is when I complete my assigned task on time and am really satisfied with my effort.
Pros
Assistance is always available
Cons
Special tools non existance
Enjoyable place to work. Commitment from all departments. Management encourage positive culture such as sense of ownership, open communication. Everyone enjoys working as a team. The hardest part of the day is when parts are not available to complete a job. Accomplishing what one has started
Very punctual and efficient with paperwork. Like working away fifo
Pros
Good camp accommodation
Cons
no cons
Its construction work so its only as good as you are . A bit short on the fun side of things and morale can get low
Pros
free camp
Cons
to much travelling
enjoyed working at pluto but not enough over time.when working away from home we are in it for the money,as we are away from family.
Pros
working in the pilbara
Cons
not enough overtime
121/2 hour days, meals supplied at camp, fixing drills and maintenance on some light vehicles, parts ordering. Have gained knowledge of diesel fitter and gained a few extra tickets with extended training by the company. Management is variable depending on the level. Young guys out of uni at top jobs does not always produce the best outcome, sometimes experience just wins out over everything. Most co workers are great, language barriers in the mines can be challenging with so many Overseas people coming to work here with out much english or experience. The hours are long and sometimes talks with supervisors can be frustrating as there often seems to be bias opinions. I enjoy the trade I am in and thrive on working with my hands and learning news skills each day. My work has started as a small toen mechanic and progressed into a trade of may variables and challenges on the way. I am proud of my acchievments and progressions in my trade.
Pros
big company, great training, good experience
Cons
to much travel, high cost of travel straining on the family, too much time away, too far away, takes over 24 hours of travel each way.