Downer Group Management reviews

North Shore branch has one of the worst work culture I’ve ever came across!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North Shore, Auckland30 May 2019
People are treated poorly... no leadership, no clear direction, no training providing or any career development. My manager was good with her spreadsheets, but had absolutely terrible people skills. She wasn’t a good leader and just a terrible manager. The whole team hates her and waiting when she will get another job somewhere else.
Pros
Great people
Cons
A very bad manager
Qualitative testing and fun place
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland11 February 2018
I was working on project at NCTIR, it was a whole challenging project.it was first time I was working individual and was challenging at start to managing all client test request and submit reports. It was good experience to learn management skills. it was a good team and we have a fun time over a weekend.
Pros
Learning never stop
A growing Infrastructure construction and maintenance company
Project Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Auckland3 February 2018
Downer NZ has a number of divisions including Road Maintenance, Technology, Transportation, Road Science, and Infrastructure Projects. It has changed a lot in recent times making some important acquisitions in building and building services.

Downer operates in a number of ways, including term contracts, alliances, and tendered projects.

I work in the Infrastructure Projects division which has, over the past three years, evolved from regional teams working on local projects, to a one team philosophy, lead by two general managers split geographically - North Island based in Auckland and South Island based in Christchurch.

This change required site staff to become more flexible over location, with extended periods working away from home. For me this has brought both pros and cons such as travel and increased income but a reduction in work life balance and much time spent away from loved ones. Others view the opportunity to spend 12 months to 3 years working at different locations around the country, on larger infrastructure projects, some of National importance, as a major draw card for working in this division of the business.

The New Zealand Pike River Mining disaster, brought with it law changes that have forced all major Australasian companies to review the way they manage risk.

Downer NZ Infrastructure Projects is no exception and is looking to become more process driven, as reflected in it taking on ISO 9001:2015 accreditation this year and investing in a new governance team to develop it's Integrated Management System (IMS and improve it's Project Management
  more... Method(s).  less
Pros
Importance of the work
Cons
Work life balance
lovely experience
Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland8 January 2018
loved every minute of working at downers. management is great and understanding. All employees were a pleasure to work with, lots of fun I recommend all new comers.
Stable and secure employer
Electrical and HVAC Installation Manager (Former Employee) –  Manurewa East, Auckland2 January 2018
I truly enjoyed working for Downer Engineering where I learned so much and it complimented my experience. I had a good crew that I was managing and we met with the expectations of Chorus and telecom where KPI's were not only met but exceeded.
Pros
Great company to work for with supportive senior management
Cons
None to mention.
Very satisfying job.
Project Consents Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Wiri, Auckland29 June 2017
Responding to e-mails
Updating the many current files on the go.
Planning meetings with project managers & planners
Council meetings
Site visits
I learned time management skills
Management were easy to get along with on all levels
Hardest part was making sure all the supporting documentation was available to the project managers on site. ie: Council consents with supporting plans.
I enjoyed everything about this job. It offered variety, challenge & an opportunity to learn new things & meet different people.
I travelled approx. every 2 weeks to sites which were from Hawkes Bay to Wellington.
Pros
Challenge, satisfying, positive.
A good Fun Buch of Guys To Work With
Store Logistics Adminitrator (Current Employee) –  Dunedin, Otago30 May 2017
Receiving in Stock, organising inbound / outbound stock and equipment, I also order all stock for the store, supplying the infrastructure side of the business.
This covers areas including all central Otago , as far north as Oamaru.
I also receipt and process all invoices that happen to come through the store, Also I communicate with and have a close working relationship with all of the suppliers that provide the equipment that we need here.
I find the Job reasonably easy to handle each day through time management and talking with other staff and managers about their upcoming needs and requirements.
Pros
Staff are easy to get along with and enjoy a joke or two
Cons
Possibility for advancement is not all that good.
Asphalt Plant
High level customer Service (Former Employee) –  Penrose, Auckland16 January 2017
Very busy at times
learnt how to operate a weighmate system use to load trucks with asphalt
management not so great lack of communications witin the management team also to many managers not enough workers
Productive, the Company of Opportunities
Team Leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Auckland NZ5 January 2017
I spent 8 years here!!! learnt so much, I was exposed to so much of the business hence the reason I am working for them in Melbourne currently. Made so many good friends, good management, and also had the opportunity to be part of a lot of teams including the Leadership team that I thoroughly enjoyed. Hardest part of my job was having to leave to relocate and learn new things.
Awesome
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington7 December 2016
Great place to work, great people to work with and management of our department was exceptional.
The work was great.
Lots of training opportunities.
Productive Workplace with Foosball Tournament.
Senior IT Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland28 September 2016
*A typical day at work starts with answering ticket in the Remedy queue
*I learned that being assertive will go a long way.
*The management is easy-going.
*Co-workers are really helpful
*The hardest part of the job is coming up with a decision when a manager has an unsure feedback.
*Most enjoyable part of the job is when user's are satisfied with the service our team provides. This also includes when a project is completed.
Pros
Very nice office spaces
Cons
Demanding users
Great Team environment
Cyclic Operator (Former Employee) –  Invercargill, Southland31 August 2016
All work mates I worked with were skilled and I found them that they would watch your back always while working out in the field such as in road works etc. The day would start with a tool Box meeting to discuss job and any safety issues etc, Management was good and always outlined correct details for the job each day.
The most enjoyable part of the job!! the work itself
Pros
No pros
Cons
no cons
Very organised and great management/co-workers
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, New Zealand12 November 2015
The most enjoyable part of working was my co-workers.
I enjoyed most days because of how my co-workers were.
Management were very organised with most things.
We were well informed with what was going on in the company and what our tasks and goals were for the week,day,month,year.
We were definitely rewarded for our work.
Politics within the company.
Northern area Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  Penrose Branch.10 September 2015
Everybody works hard in the lower positions of the company. I learned that companies do have many staff that love the company and stay for 30+ years. I learnt that some management are embroiled in personal politics which helps nobody. My co workers were hard working and very helpful. My job was fantastic as I was able to make a notable difference and was appreciated by everyone at the branch.
Pros
Very enjoyable job for me.
Cons
Made redundant through perceived politics.
Nepotism and prejudism rule the workplace
Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato2 August 2015
There is no job security or management support at ITS Downers Group.
You are a temp so you wait for a text each day to know whether there will be work the next day - impossible to budget, scary when you have a household to support.
The staff break company rules and NZ laws constantly and when you report this to management, you are the one punished by getting no work. Some of the staff drink and drive, turn up to work intoxicated, drive without appropriate licenses and ITS Downers say they practice "zero harm".
DON'T work for this company!!!
Pros
Cons
See above
Great company,people,managers.
Optical Fibre Technician (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, S18 May 2015
Working for Downer was a great company to work for, they were really safety focused, which made everyone stop and just take 5, before we started our day. They were also big on training, so if were unsure we would be either shown by someone, or we would all be trained together so everyone was up to speed. Our field manger was fantastic, always there to help or even come out to the job site and help us to get the problem sorted.
A typical start, was ringing every customer, that was booked in for a Optical install, just to let them know we were coming, and also to we were coming on the right day and time that they had been informed by there internet provider.
Then we would look at all the information we had of were the fibre was located in the street and work out the best route to the house, and consult with them on the best place for all the hardware to make the new optical connection work.
Everyone that worked on the installs were great, always there to help or lend equipment if necessary. Great people, great work environment and when the job that the customer was happy with and the fibre was up and working at the speed they had signed up for that always made the day a good day.
Hardest part was when we would have blocked tubes which meant the fibre wasn't able to be blown from the street to the house. Which meat it was passed back to the build contractor who put all the tube's in, to come back and dig up and fix the problem, which delayed the customer from switching to fibre.
Pros
Fully equiped van, phone, tablet. Great team, good management.
Cons
Sometimes long days to finish the job for the comitment date.
Supportive management structure with professionalism
Area Engineer (Former Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand30 April 2015
Management team, although quite often changed, showed professionalism in carrying out actions and listening to the staff feedback. Typical day work would be to visit sites, audit, keep control of the finance and operations of all sites.
Pressure to get jobs done on time with lots of Travelling
Technician (Former Employee) –  Kerikeri, N16 April 2015
Good Company, but too many changes to Management and work practises. Demanding at times and hard work, but good wages. Had to work in dangerous weather conditions and horrible roads to drive on with no 4x4 vehicle
Pros
Worked from home with company vehicle
Cons
To much expectation to complete jobs with minimal time, frustrating and constant requests to move on to other work
fun work place
Project Foreman (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, S2 February 2015
most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new and interesting people and allowed to think outside the square .
doing jobs in time and under budget when told they couldn't be done , travelling through the sth island to do jobs .some times middle management got to comfortable in their jobs and were sometimes frustrating to work with and for
co workers took along time before they classed you as one of them - but came good in the end.
the hardest part of the job was being a newbie and bringing in new ideas that worked but weren't always acted on .
typical day was pre start meetings , ordering material , forward planning and fingers crossed everything went as planned
Pros
doing jobs on time and under budget, when told it couldnt be done
Cons
some of the middle management were to comfortable in their jobs
Productive workplace and awesome crew to work with
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Otorohanga, Waitomo28 January 2015
Typical day at work with downers started with a morning coffee and chat with workmates before heading our seperate ways to our work sites, i learnt a wide range of skills which i thought was bit hard and confusing at 1st but my workmates were there to explain the job at hand well and also helped me out when i had bit of trouble aswell as taught me how to operate the machinery involved with some jobs when i got qualified aswell as my license to operate the machinery on site.

Mangement at the time was awesome and understanding with me instead of dropping me in the deep end and sending me out on jobs i knew nothing about instead they paired me up with 1 of the experienced guys and crew to help me out.

The hardest part of the job was having to leave the awesome crew and workmates i was working with and management who taught me alot of the skills i picked up within the industry.

The most enjoyable part of the job was turning up everyday chatting with workmates aswell as mangement, they made me excited bout getting up and going to work everyday because not only were my workmates a bunch of awesome, funny and easy going people they made you feel like you were apart of their family and made the depo and workplace feel like a safe place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Downer Group. Our community is ready to answer.