Downer Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Downer Group Management reviews

New Zealand80 reviews
Very busy environment and challenging
Fast paced environment, challenging staff issues, communication was not the greatest and management were not easily available. They do have a good health and safety plan which is communicated well.
Pros
Work vehicle.
Cons
No recognition for long hours
good work
very hard fast paced work but kept food on the table the management was great and showed you how its done very well, id recommend this to anyone that isn't afraid of hard work
A real Downer
Downers dont hire direct instead to work there you must go via a labour hire firm. They treat their labour hire staffers badly. Anything from making them work up to 13-15 hour days on lollypop duty without a toilet for miles and no known finish times (really hard if youve got kids/pets to pick up from care and the care places shut at 6pm while youre still at work) to promising them full time work after 90 days only then to throw them under a bus after one week for absolutely no reason at all (or some invented reason). Id steer well clear of downer because thats exactly what they are.
passive and stressfull
work is good but the people in the management is somehow stressfull, they will check every time you stand from your desk, and thy have a checklist how long have you gone.

They will capture your idle time and will notify you if you are using your cellphone.

no personal call allowed
Good people poor management
Great team and good fellas, Management always busy. Otherwise good when they leave you to get on with it, Toolbox meetings,, go on and on for 3 and 4 hours
Poor management, lack of support
Company is growing too fast and overloading staff with poor management and a lack of support.
People are put in positions they cannot succeed in and left with no support.
Had a hard time there at end
Nice place to work. Management in some departments take time to understand . Enjoyed working with various people and groups. They are very good for helping you get licences and qualifications
North Shore branch has one of the worst work culture I’ve ever came across!
People are treated poorly... no leadership, no clear direction, no training providing or any career development. My manager was good with her spreadsheets, but had absolutely terrible people skills. She wasn’t a good leader and just a terrible manager. The whole team hates her and waiting when she will get another job somewhere else.
Pros
Great people
Cons
A very bad manager
Nouvelle expérience à l'étranger
-Contrôle de la circulation (informer,assister et sécuriser les automobilistes)
-Aménagement des infrastructures terrestres avant travaux sur chantier (Installation des panneaux, balises, cônes de signalisation)

-Travaux publics ( entretien, rénovation et construction du réseau routier)
Pros
Emploi à l'étranger
Cons
60 heures par semaine
Qualitative testing and fun place
I was working on project at NCTIR, it was a whole challenging project.it was first time I was working individual and was challenging at start to managing all client test request and submit reports. It was good experience to learn management skills. it was a good team and we have a fun time over a weekend.
Pros
Learning never stop
A growing Infrastructure construction and maintenance company
Downer NZ has a number of divisions including Road Maintenance, Technology, Transportation, Road Science, and Infrastructure Projects. It has changed a lot in recent times making some important acquisitions in building and building services.

Downer operates in a number of ways, including term contracts, alliances, and tendered projects.

I work in the Infrastructure Projects division which has, over the past three years, evolved from regional teams working on local projects, to a one team philosophy, lead by two general managers split geographically - North Island based in Auckland and South Island based in Christchurch.

This change required site staff to become more flexible over location, with extended periods working away from home. For me this has brought both pros and cons such as travel and increased income but a reduction in work life balance and much time spent away from loved ones. Others view the opportunity to spend 12 months to 3 years working at different locations around the country, on larger infrastructure projects, some of National importance, as a major draw card for working in this division of the business.

The New Zealand Pike River Mining disaster, brought with it law changes that have forced all major Australasian companies to review the way they manage risk.

Downer NZ Infrastructure Projects is no exception and is looking to become more process driven, as reflected in it taking on ISO 9001:2015 accreditation this year and investing in a new governance team to develop it's Integrated Management System (IMS and improve it's Project Management - more...
Pros
Importance of the work
Cons
Work life balance
lovely experience
loved every minute of working at downers. management is great and understanding. All employees were a pleasure to work with, lots of fun I recommend all new comers.
Stable and secure employer
I truly enjoyed working for Downer Engineering where I learned so much and it complimented my experience. I had a good crew that I was managing and we met with the expectations of Chorus and telecom where KPI's were not only met but exceeded.
Pros
Great company to work for with supportive senior management
Cons
None to mention.
Very satisfying job.
Responding to e-mails
Updating the many current files on the go.

Planning meetings with project managers & planners

Council meetings

Site visits

I learned time management skills
Management were easy to get along with on all levels
Hardest part was making sure all the supporting documentation was available to the project managers on site. ie: Council consents with supporting plans.

I enjoyed everything about this job. It offered variety, challenge & an opportunity to learn new things & meet different people.

I travelled approx. every 2 weeks to sites which were from Hawkes Bay to Wellington.
Pros
Challenge, satisfying, positive.
A good Fun Buch of Guys To Work With
Receiving in Stock, organising inbound / outbound stock and equipment, I also order all stock for the store, supplying the infrastructure side of the business.
This covers areas including all central Otago , as far north as Oamaru.

I also receipt and process all invoices that happen to come through the store, Also I communicate with and have a close working relationship with all of the suppliers that provide the equipment that we need here.

I find the Job reasonably easy to handle each day through time management and talking with other staff and managers about their upcoming needs and requirements.
Pros
Staff are easy to get along with and enjoy a joke or two
Cons
Possibility for advancement is not all that good.
Asphalt Plant
Very busy at times
learnt how to operate a weighmate system use to load trucks with asphalt

management not so great lack of communications witin the management team also to many managers not enough workers
Productive, the Company of Opportunities
I spent 8 years here!!! learnt so much, I was exposed to so much of the business hence the reason I am working for them in Melbourne currently. Made so many good friends, good management, and also had the opportunity to be part of a lot of teams including the Leadership team that I thoroughly enjoyed. Hardest part of my job was having to leave to relocate and learn new things.
Awesome
Great place to work, great people to work with and management of our department was exceptional.
The work was great.

Lots of training opportunities.
Productive Workplace with Foosball Tournament.
*A typical day at work starts with answering ticket in the Remedy queue
*I learned that being assertive will go a long way.

*The management is easy-going.
*Co-workers are really helpful

*The hardest part of the job is coming up with a decision when a manager has an unsure feedback.

*Most enjoyable part of the job is when user's are satisfied with the service our team provides. This also includes when a project is completed.
Pros
Very nice office spaces
Cons
Demanding users
Great Team environment
All work mates I worked with were skilled and I found them that they would watch your back always while working out in the field such as in road works etc. The day would start with a tool Box meeting to discuss job and any safety issues etc, Management was good and always outlined correct details for the job each day.
The most enjoyable part of the job!! the work itself
Pros
No pros
Cons
no cons
Very organised and great management/co-workers
The most enjoyable part of working was my co-workers.
I enjoyed most days because of how my co-workers were.

Management were very organised with most things.
We were well informed with what was going on in the company and what our tasks and goals were for the week,day,month,year.

We were definitely rewarded for our work.