Downer Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Downer Group Management reviews

Had a hard time there at end
Nice place to work. Management in some departments take time to understand . Enjoyed working with various people and groups. They are very good for helping you get licences and qualifications
Productive workplace and awesome crew to work with
Typical day at work with downers started with a morning coffee and chat with workmates before heading our seperate ways to our work sites, i learnt a wide range of skills which i thought was bit hard and confusing at 1st but my workmates were there to explain the job at hand well and also helped me out when i had bit of trouble aswell as taught me how to operate the machinery involved with some jobs when i got qualified aswell as my license to operate the machinery on site.

Mangement at the time was awesome and understanding with me instead of dropping me in the deep end and sending me out on jobs i knew nothing about instead they paired me up with 1 of the experienced guys and crew to help me out.

The hardest part of the job was having to leave the awesome crew and workmates i was working with and management who taught me alot of the skills i picked up within the industry.

The most enjoyable part of the job was turning up everyday chatting with workmates aswell as mangement, they made me excited bout getting up and going to work everyday because not only were my workmates a bunch of awesome, funny and easy going people they made you feel like you were apart of their family and made the depo and workplace feel like a safe place to work.
Long hours and work overload
Start at 7:30am Finish whenever. Stand by and Call out on weekends every third week. Sometimes travelling great distances to jobs around the country.
Learned to programme MUX cabinets, ADSL, VDSL, wireless ADSL and digital phone systems. Installing BRA & PRA networks.

Management was good when left to own devices. Supplied equipment and resources when needed.
Great co-workers, Three of us covered TelstraClears network from Waikato, Coromandle, Bay of plenty to Taumarunui. Worked as a team and always helped one another.

Hardest part of the job was always doing overtime, standby and callouts.

Enjoyed working with high tech equipment.
Pros
Enjoyed the high tech equipment.
Cons
Long hours low wages.
Recruitment Agecies
high staff turnover, management terrible, no communication, treat temps like dirt,
Pros
hours
Cons
company
Downer is like a big family and very people orientated
A typical day would not be without; problem solving, troubleshooting and management of expectations.

We would learn something every day whether it be technical detail or how to minimize risks.

Both the hardest and most enjoyable part of the job was the employment relations.
Pros
Job satisfaction and great people.
Disappointing.
Empty promises, reactive management and token corporate gestures around health&safety (the focus is on a safe environment, they fail to consider the human element and the effect that ongoing workplace stresses have on an individual's ability to stay safe.)

They'll send you up a power pole, fully kitted out, with hard hat and safety harness... but turn a blind eye to the fact that you've been working 10hours already, the light is fading and the only break you got a chance to take that day was interrupted by dispatch dumping more work on you. Praise is lumped on those who work 7days a week.

There is no structure or system to effectively use the pool of staff available. Attempts to raise issues and seek resolution = personal attacks and a generally squeeze being applied until the individual either leaves, or otherwise shuts up. They operate on a divide and conquer principle... every employee is an island. Very poor morale.

Depression is rife. The company uses an EAP programme, to provide counselling to staff, but you'll have to fight to take leave, to make an appointment. The support starts and ends there, you take your problems to EAP and fix them there, or don't come back. No interest in creating a workplace that works for frontline staff. Sadly this means the good people move on and the ones who remain get more and more bitter.

Best viewed as a stepping stone to somewhere else or an opportunity to work ALL OF THE HOURS and save some money.

Be warned tho, you wont get the option to scale back your hours as you age/ life changes. It's all or nothing.
Pros
Permanent roles, Overtime rates, Safety gear provided.
Cons
Long hours, compulsory overtime, lack of essential resources, no support for real issues.