Downer Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Downer Group Management reviews

New Zealand82 reviews
Fast paced environment, challenging staff issues, communication was not the greatest and management were not easily available. They do have a good health and safety plan which is communicated well.
Pros
Work vehicle.
Cons
No recognition for long hours
The most enjoyable part of working was my co-workers.
I enjoyed most days because of how my co-workers were.

Management were very organised with most things.
We were well informed with what was going on in the company and what our tasks and goals were for the week,day,month,year.

We were definitely rewarded for our work.
Everybody works hard in the lower positions of the company. I learned that companies do have many staff that love the company and stay for 30+ years. I learnt that some management are embroiled in personal politics which helps nobody. My co workers were hard working and very helpful. My job was fantastic as I was able to make a notable difference and was appreciated by everyone at the branch.
Pros
Very enjoyable job for me.
Cons
Made redundant through perceived politics.
There is no job security or management support at ITS Downers Group.
You are a temp so you wait for a text each day to know whether there will be work the next day - impossible to budget, scary when you have a household to support.

The staff break company rules and NZ laws constantly and when you report this to management, you are the one punished by getting no work. Some of the staff drink and drive, turn up to work intoxicated, drive without appropriate licenses and ITS Downers say they practice "zero harm".

DON'T work for this company!!!
Pros
Cons
See above
Working for Downer was a great company to work for, they were really safety focused, which made everyone stop and just take 5, before we started our day. They were also big on training, so if were unsure we would be either shown by someone, or we would all be trained together so everyone was up to speed. Our field manger was fantastic, always there to help or even come out to the job site and help us to get the problem sorted.
A typical start, was ringing every customer, that was booked in for a Optical install, just to let them know we were coming, and also to we were coming on the right day and time that they had been informed by there internet provider.

Then we would look at all the information we had of were the fibre was located in the street and work out the best route to the house, and consult with them on the best place for all the hardware to make the new optical connection work.

Everyone that worked on the installs were great, always there to help or lend equipment if necessary. Great people, great work environment and when the job that the customer was happy with and the fibre was up and working at the speed they had signed up for that always made the day a good day.

Hardest part was when we would have blocked tubes which meant the fibre wasn't able to be blown from the street to the house. Which meat it was passed back to the build contractor who put all the tube's in, to come back and dig up and fix the problem, which delayed the customer from switching to fibre.
Pros
Fully equiped van, phone, tablet. Great team, good management.
Cons
Sometimes long days to finish the job for the comitment date.
Management team, although quite often changed, showed professionalism in carrying out actions and listening to the staff feedback. Typical day work would be to visit sites, audit, keep control of the finance and operations of all sites.
Good Company, but too many changes to Management and work practises. Demanding at times and hard work, but good wages. Had to work in dangerous weather conditions and horrible roads to drive on with no 4x4 vehicle
Pros
Worked from home with company vehicle
Cons
To much expectation to complete jobs with minimal time, frustrating and constant requests to move on to other work
most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new and interesting people and allowed to think outside the square .
doing jobs in time and under budget when told they couldn't be done , travelling through the sth island to do jobs .
some times middle management got to comfortable in their jobs and were sometimes frustrating to work with and for
co workers took along time before they classed you as one of them - but came good in the end.
the hardest part of the job was being a newbie and bringing in new ideas that worked but weren't always acted on .

typical day was pre start meetings , ordering material , forward planning and fingers crossed everything went as planned
Pros
doing jobs on time and under budget, when told it couldnt be done
Cons
some of the middle management were to comfortable in their jobs
Typical day at work with downers started with a morning coffee and chat with workmates before heading our seperate ways to our work sites, i learnt a wide range of skills which i thought was bit hard and confusing at 1st but my workmates were there to explain the job at hand well and also helped me out when i had bit of trouble aswell as taught me how to operate the machinery involved with some jobs when i got qualified aswell as my license to operate the machinery on site.

Mangement at the time was awesome and understanding with me instead of dropping me in the deep end and sending me out on jobs i knew nothing about instead they paired me up with 1 of the experienced guys and crew to help me out.

The hardest part of the job was having to leave the awesome crew and workmates i was working with and management who taught me alot of the skills i picked up within the industry.

The most enjoyable part of the job was turning up everyday chatting with workmates aswell as mangement, they made me excited bout getting up and going to work everyday because not only were my workmates a bunch of awesome, funny and easy going people they made you feel like you were apart of their family and made the depo and workplace feel like a safe place to work.
Start at 7:30am Finish whenever. Stand by and Call out on weekends every third week. Sometimes travelling great distances to jobs around the country.
Learned to programme MUX cabinets, ADSL, VDSL, wireless ADSL and digital phone systems. Installing BRA & PRA networks.

Management was good when left to own devices. Supplied equipment and resources when needed.
Great co-workers, Three of us covered TelstraClears network from Waikato, Coromandle, Bay of plenty to Taumarunui. Worked as a team and always helped one another.

Hardest part of the job was always doing overtime, standby and callouts.

Enjoyed working with high tech equipment.
Pros
Enjoyed the high tech equipment.
Cons
Long hours low wages.
high staff turnover, management terrible, no communication, treat temps like dirt,
Pros
hours
Cons
company
A typical day would not be without; problem solving, troubleshooting and management of expectations.

We would learn something every day whether it be technical detail or how to minimize risks.

Both the hardest and most enjoyable part of the job was the employment relations.
Pros
Job satisfaction and great people.
Cons
Empty promises, reactive management and token corporate gestures around health&safety (the focus is on a safe environment, they fail to consider the human element and the effect that ongoing workplace stresses have on an individual's ability to stay safe.)

They'll send you up a power pole, fully kitted out, with hard hat and safety harness... but turn a blind eye to the fact that you've been working 10hours already, the light is fading and the only break you got a chance to take that day was interrupted by dispatch dumping more work on you. Praise is lumped on those who work 7days a week.

There is no structure or system to effectively use the pool of staff available. Attempts to raise issues and seek resolution = personal attacks and a generally squeeze being applied until the individual either leaves, or otherwise shuts up. They operate on a divide and conquer principle... every employee is an island. Very poor morale.

Depression is rife. The company uses an EAP programme, to provide counselling to staff, but you'll have to fight to take leave, to make an appointment. The support starts and ends there, you take your problems to EAP and fix them there, or don't come back. No interest in creating a workplace that works for frontline staff. Sadly this means the good people move on and the ones who remain get more and more bitter.

Best viewed as a stepping stone to somewhere else or an opportunity to work ALL OF THE HOURS and save some money.

Be warned tho, you wont get the option to scale back your hours as you age/ life changes. It's all or nothing.
Pros
Permanent roles, Overtime rates, Safety gear provided.
Cons
Long hours, compulsory overtime, lack of essential resources, no support for real issues.