Downer Group Employee Reviews

Productivity was good and the workplace was excellent.
Driver/ STMS Sealling crew (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato6 March 2017
I enjoyed working with the crew I was with because we all got to know how each person worked and what their limitations were. I was working as a temp .
Being out with the selling crew , it was all about keeping everyone safe as there is a lot of danger around the job and we would all have a tailgate before starting any job and the hazards that could happen.
The hardest part of the day is when everyone is tired at the end of the day and we have to pack up, signs/cones any paper that was used.
I enjoyed the job regardless , I love hard work.
We always managed to finish our roads so we were quite Productive for Downers EDI.
Pros
Team work, long hours, everyone looked after each other.
Cons
Sometimes we never had enough signs or other equipment for on the road. It was, work with what you got.
Hands on approach to anything
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  New Zealand8 February 2017
Working with clients is what i enjoy most. New challenges each day keeps the doctor away. Travelling in and between jobs is always fun. Love life and people.
Pros
Never off sick
Cons
Always rushing
Asphalt Plant
High level customer Service (Former Employee) –  Penrose, Auckland16 January 2017
Very busy at times
learnt how to operate a weighmate system use to load trucks with asphalt
management not so great lack of communications witin the management team also to many managers not enough workers
Productive and busy place to work for
Fibre Provisioning Technician (Current Employee) –  Washdyke10 January 2017
It is an enjoyable job with regular customer contact and strive to improve and learn. Good team to work with and collaborate in time of need.
Pros
Manage you own work day
Cons
sometimes long hours
Productive, the Company of Opportunities
Team Leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Auckland NZ5 January 2017
I spent 8 years here!!! learnt so much, I was exposed to so much of the business hence the reason I am working for them in Melbourne currently. Made so many good friends, good management, and also had the opportunity to be part of a lot of teams including the Leadership team that I thoroughly enjoyed. Hardest part of my job was having to leave to relocate and learn new things.
Awesome
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington7 December 2016
Great place to work, great people to work with and management of our department was exceptional.
The work was great.
Lots of training opportunities.
Good experience
Concrete Cutter (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury7 November 2016
- Working on my own, co-worker jealous but overall ok
- Gained new skill
- Day/Night Shift with good benefit on Nights
- downside 10h minimum shift not always respected
- Reason for leaving, no opportunity for sponsor and girlfriend pregnant
Pros
Own Vehicle
Cons
Company Location
Working in the field
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington5 October 2016
Productive,assist co-workers.
Seeing good results
Every situation is different
Enjoy a challenge.
Like to be busy
Like to learn new scills
Pros
Traveling
not really
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland28 September 2016
I did learn a lot but the centre is not a welcoming place to work in not many positive people work there needs more positive and Encouraging leaders..........................
Productive Workplace with Foosball Tournament.
Senior IT Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland28 September 2016
*A typical day at work starts with answering ticket in the Remedy queue
*I learned that being assertive will go a long way.
*The management is easy-going.
*Co-workers are really helpful
*The hardest part of the job is coming up with a decision when a manager has an unsure feedback.
*Most enjoyable part of the job is when user's are satisfied with the service our team provides. This also includes when a project is completed.
Pros
Very nice office spaces
Cons
Demanding users
Great Team environment
Cyclic Operator (Former Employee) –  Invercargill, Southland31 August 2016
All work mates I worked with were skilled and I found them that they would watch your back always while working out in the field such as in road works etc. The day would start with a tool Box meeting to discuss job and any safety issues etc, Management was good and always outlined correct details for the job each day.
The most enjoyable part of the job!! the work itself
Pros
No pros
Cons
no cons
Not too bad
Distribution Line Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington26 July 2016
When i was employed at Downer, they had just bought another buisnes called Tenix. Downer are new to The Power Industry and didn't really know what was going on. Me and my work collegues found it difficult to get any appropriate gear needed to get job done and found that they had no idea what was involved work wise to getting the job done. I felt pressured at work with them breathing down our necks wanting more production when we are doing our hardest, fastest, and safest work all rolled into one. Apart from that not too bad at all. Good salary and use of vehicles outside of work hours.
Great company with excellent workmates.
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  New Zealand29 March 2016
Excellent structure from managers through to engineers,
Very supportive.
Everyday is different from the last.
Good apprenticeship programme which i was fortunate enough to benefit from.
work in site
Fibre Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Invercargill, Southland20 February 2016
work with my fellow workers in downer i enjoy with them ,i learned how to communicate especially my english language ,i enjoyed my work in UFB installing splitters in flash 9 .work as work teamate .
Pros
more technical trainings
Cons
more overtimes
Challenging company
Chip Sealing Foreman (Current Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury3 January 2016
Downer were a great company to work for in the first two years but over the last year they are struggling to recruit and maintain staff. Unfortunately I feel that this is due to the nature of work and the company being one of the lowest paying in the industry. I have however learnt many new skills in the industry and progressed a few times to the role I am currently in. I currently have a great team that I look after and have fought to keep them but Downer just aren't willing to pay their worth. The hardest part of the job for me is the lack of planning and organisation by my superiors. While i have no problem thinking on my feet and finding solutions to these problems I feel that the company is too focused to cost cutting and not on its workers requirements.
Pros
over time allowences
Cons
looking after its people
great
Redundancy bringing my apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, S19 November 2015
working with downer has given me all the skills I need in life
and cant say more good things about the company.
the system that they work under means your safety is well looked after.
Very organised and great management/co-workers
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, New Zealand12 November 2015
The most enjoyable part of working was my co-workers.
I enjoyed most days because of how my co-workers were.
Management were very organised with most things.
We were well informed with what was going on in the company and what our tasks and goals were for the week,day,month,year.
We were definitely rewarded for our work.
A varied role
Administrator/Consenter (Former Employee) –  Hornby, New Zealand21 October 2015
Ordering utility plans, gaining consent from land owners and the council to work in their land as well as scheduling the technicians work and updating each customer every day.
Politics within the company.
Northern area Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  Penrose Branch.10 September 2015
Everybody works hard in the lower positions of the company. I learned that companies do have many staff that love the company and stay for 30+ years. I learnt that some management are embroiled in personal politics which helps nobody. My co workers were hard working and very helpful. My job was fantastic as I was able to make a notable difference and was appreciated by everyone at the branch.
Pros
Very enjoyable job for me.
Cons
Made redundant through perceived politics.
Nepotism and prejudism rule the workplace
Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato2 August 2015
There is no job security or management support at ITS Downers Group.
You are a temp so you wait for a text each day to know whether there will be work the next day - impossible to budget, scary when you have a household to support.
The staff break company rules and NZ laws constantly and when you report this to management, you are the one punished by getting no work. Some of the staff drink and drive, turn up to work intoxicated, drive without appropriate licenses and ITS Downers say they practice "zero harm".
DON'T work for this company!!!
Pros
Cons
See above

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Downer Group. Our community is ready to answer.