Downer Group Employee Reviews

Nepotism and prejudism rule the workplace
Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato2 August 2015
There is no job security or management support at ITS Downers Group.
You are a temp so you wait for a text each day to know whether there will be work the next day - impossible to budget, scary when you have a household to support.
The staff break company rules and NZ laws constantly and when you report this to management, you are the one punished by getting no work. Some of the staff drink and drive, turn up to work intoxicated, drive without appropriate licenses and ITS Downers say they practice "zero harm".
DON'T work for this company!!!
Pros
Cons
See above
Interesting
Operator (Former Employee) –  Christchurch30 June 2015
I was employed as a temp, but the Business who owned the machinery I was operating came back to Downers as his employment had ceased and stated he was going to work his equipment - so my role unfortunately ceased.
Pros
Great Foreman
Cons
Distance to travel to work
Great company,people,managers.
Optical Fibre Technician (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, S18 May 2015
Working for Downer was a great company to work for, they were really safety focused, which made everyone stop and just take 5, before we started our day. They were also big on training, so if were unsure we would be either shown by someone, or we would all be trained together so everyone was up to speed. Our field manger was fantastic, always there to help or even come out to the job site and help us to get the problem sorted.
A typical start, was ringing every customer, that was booked in for a Optical install, just to let them know we were coming, and also to we were coming on the right day and time that they had been informed by there internet provider.
Then we would look at all the information we had of were the fibre was located in the street and work out the best route to the house, and consult with them on the best place for all the hardware to make the new optical connection work.
Everyone that worked on the installs were great, always there to help or lend equipment if necessary. Great people, great work environment and when the job that the customer was happy with and the fibre was up and working at the speed they had signed up for that always made the day a good day.
Hardest part was when we would have blocked tubes which meant the fibre wasn't able to be blown from the street to the house. Which meat it was passed back to the build contractor who put all the tube's in, to come back and dig up and fix the problem, which delayed the customer from switching to fibre.
Pros
Fully equiped van, phone, tablet. Great team, good management.
Cons
Sometimes long days to finish the job for the comitment date.
Supportive management structure with professionalism
Area Engineer (Former Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand30 April 2015
Management team, although quite often changed, showed professionalism in carrying out actions and listening to the staff feedback. Typical day work would be to visit sites, audit, keep control of the finance and operations of all sites.
Pressure to get jobs done on time with lots of Travelling
Technician (Former Employee) –  Kerikeri, N16 April 2015
Good Company, but too many changes to Management and work practises. Demanding at times and hard work, but good wages. Had to work in dangerous weather conditions and horrible roads to drive on with no 4x4 vehicle
Pros
Worked from home with company vehicle
Cons
To much expectation to complete jobs with minimal time, frustrating and constant requests to move on to other work
work place is real good
full class 1 driver (Former Employee) –  manukau26 February 2015
i learned to know my ways all around auckland and i also drove around the whole of New Zealand, the good thing about this job was getting to travel
My working Ethos
Quality Mentor (Former Employee) –  Dunedin11 February 2015
I like to challenge myself at any task given to me. I am hard working and like to be hands on. Working in with the workforce has its rewards to earning respect.

Working with people is what I enjoy. I have learn't that people are the hardest tool to work with but if they are treated as you expect them to treat you the result is better performance.
fun work place
Project Foreman (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, S2 February 2015
most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new and interesting people and allowed to think outside the square .
doing jobs in time and under budget when told they couldn't be done , travelling through the sth island to do jobs .some times middle management got to comfortable in their jobs and were sometimes frustrating to work with and for
co workers took along time before they classed you as one of them - but came good in the end.
the hardest part of the job was being a newbie and bringing in new ideas that worked but weren't always acted on .
typical day was pre start meetings , ordering material , forward planning and fingers crossed everything went as planned
Pros
doing jobs on time and under budget, when told it couldnt be done
Cons
some of the middle management were to comfortable in their jobs
fun & challenging
Services Technician -Level (Former Employee) –  Auckland, N1 February 2015
day begins with picking up jobs & job assessment know what type of fault you are tackling check to have the right tools also know the type of work & amount of time will be used on job good relation with co-workers is not having the right mentality for the job doing new work everyday also having a chance to work in other parts of the country.
Pros
having work from home
Cons
bad relationship with co-workers
Productive workplace and awesome crew to work with
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Otorohanga, Waitomo28 January 2015
Typical day at work with downers started with a morning coffee and chat with workmates before heading our seperate ways to our work sites, i learnt a wide range of skills which i thought was bit hard and confusing at 1st but my workmates were there to explain the job at hand well and also helped me out when i had bit of trouble aswell as taught me how to operate the machinery involved with some jobs when i got qualified aswell as my license to operate the machinery on site.

Mangement at the time was awesome and understanding with me instead of dropping me in the deep end and sending me out on jobs i knew nothing about instead they paired me up with 1 of the experienced guys and crew to help me out.

The hardest part of the job was having to leave the awesome crew and workmates i was working with and management who taught me alot of the skills i picked up within the industry.

The most enjoyable part of the job was turning up everyday chatting with workmates aswell as mangement, they made me excited bout getting up and going to work everyday because not only were my workmates a bunch of awesome, funny and easy going people they made you feel like you were apart of their family and made the depo and workplace feel like a safe place to work.
Great job and a good place to work.
Field Staff Technician (Current Employee) –  Dunedin New Zealand21 January 2015
We do everything on a different place every day. Provisioning more than maintenance, as everyone wants broadband on those days. Have learned a lot on the last 7 Years, We travel between places and bring a good service to our customers.
Safety is priority.
Hardest part is DSL frequent disconnection, when you have to take time to discover where is your fault. Most enjoyable part is when you do 10 jobs on a day, because you get paid for what you do.
Pros
Great pay and working outside.
Cons
Weather
Long hours and work overload
Business Technician Inside Plant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton2 October 2014
Start at 7:30am Finish whenever. Stand by and Call out on weekends every third week. Sometimes travelling great distances to jobs around the country.
Learned to programme MUX cabinets, ADSL, VDSL, wireless ADSL and digital phone systems. Installing BRA & PRA networks.
Management was good when left to own devices. Supplied equipment and resources when needed.
Great co-workers, Three of us covered TelstraClears network from Waikato, Coromandle, Bay of plenty to Taumarunui. Worked as a team and always helped one another.
Hardest part of the job was always doing overtime, standby and callouts.
Enjoyed working with high tech equipment.
Pros
Enjoyed the high tech equipment.
Cons
Long hours low wages.
Recruitment Agecies
labourer, driver (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, S16 May 2014
high staff turnover, management terrible, no communication, treat temps like dirt,
Pros
hours
Cons
company
Result Orinted
Duct jointer (Current Employee) –  Timaru, S15 April 2014
Secutity of tenure
Job security and Iam applying for permanent residence
Fun place to work.
Network Inspector (Former Employee) –  Whakatane14 April 2014
The people and the area where amazing. Need to play by the rules when working .
fun workplace
Drafting (Current Employee) –  Porirua, N15 March 2014
i learned how to use netmap.

i enjoy the environment.

the co-workers is very kind.
Pros
free accommdation
Cons
Not an equal opportunity employer
Concrete Foreman,Driver,Digger, Roller,Operator (Former Employee) –  New Plymouth26 January 2014
Worked for this company a few years back, enjoyed my time there , Reason for leaving got asked by another company to work for them. Left on good terms , taught alot of young guys the ropes.
Re applied to work for them again late last year for the same type of work, so was well qualified for the job. However was phoned by their HR and was told I was too old as they don't employ anyone over 60 , got this email in reply
"We have reviewed your application and after considering your skills, qualifications, background and experience relevant to this particular position, we regret to inform you that we will not be progressing your application to the next stage.

We will continue to hold your application on file for any future opportunities that we think you would be more suited to"
Despite them advertising for similar positions have never heard from them again
Downer is like a big family and very people orientated
Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, S24 January 2014
A typical day would not be without; problem solving, troubleshooting and management of expectations.

We would learn something every day whether it be technical detail or how to minimize risks.

Both the hardest and most enjoyable part of the job was the employment relations.
Pros
Job satisfaction and great people.
Disappointing.
Telco Provisioning (Current Employee) –  Wellington14 January 2014
Empty promises, reactive management and token corporate gestures around health&safety (the focus is on a safe environment, they fail to consider the human element and the effect that ongoing workplace stresses have on an individual's ability to stay safe.)

They'll send you up a power pole, fully kitted out, with hard hat and safety harness... but turn a blind eye to the fact that you've been working 10hours already, the light is fading and the only break you got a chance to take that day was interrupted by dispatch dumping more work on you. Praise is lumped on those who work 7days a week.

There is no structure or system to effectively use the pool of staff available. Attempts to raise issues and seek resolution = personal attacks and a generally squeeze being applied until the individual either leaves, or otherwise shuts up. They operate on a divide and conquer principle... every employee is an island. Very poor morale.

Depression is rife. The company uses an EAP programme, to provide counselling to staff, but you'll have to fight to take leave, to make an appointment. The support starts and ends there, you take your problems to EAP and fix them there, or don't come back. No interest in creating a workplace that works for frontline staff. Sadly this means the good people move on and the ones who remain get more and more bitter.

Best viewed as a stepping stone to somewhere else or an opportunity to work ALL OF THE HOURS and save some money.
Be warned tho, you wont get the option to scale back your hours as you age/ life changes. It's all or nothing.
Pros
Permanent roles, Overtime rates, Safety gear provided.
Cons
Long hours, compulsory overtime, lack of essential resources, no support for real issues.
productive workplace
Inside Plant Technician (Current Employee) –  Hastings, N20 August 2013
I work in an environment that recognises individual achievement ,upskilling and is culture tolerant .Everyday is different and this makes my work very interesting and challenging.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Downer Group. Our community is ready to answer.