Downer Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Downer Group Employee Reviews

New Zealand81 reviews
Fast paced environment, challenging staff issues, communication was not the greatest and management were not easily available. They do have a good health and safety plan which is communicated well.
Pros
Work vehicle.
Cons
No recognition for long hours
I spent 8 years here!!! learnt so much, I was exposed to so much of the business hence the reason I am working for them in Melbourne currently. Made so many good friends, good management, and also had the opportunity to be part of a lot of teams including the Leadership team that I thoroughly enjoyed. Hardest part of my job was having to leave to relocate and learn new things.
Great place to work, great people to work with and management of our department was exceptional.
The work was great.

Lots of training opportunities.
- Working on my own, co-worker jealous but overall ok
- Gained new skill

- Day/Night Shift with good benefit on Nights

- downside 10h minimum shift not always respected

- Reason for leaving, no opportunity for sponsor and girlfriend pregnant
Pros
Own Vehicle
Cons
Company Location
Productive,assist co-workers.
Seeing good results

Every situation is different

Enjoy a challenge.

Like to be busy

Like to learn new scills
Pros
Traveling
Cons
I did learn a lot but the centre is not a welcoming place to work in not many positive people work there needs more positive and Encouraging leaders..........................
*A typical day at work starts with answering ticket in the Remedy queue
*I learned that being assertive will go a long way.

*The management is easy-going.

*Co-workers are really helpful

*The hardest part of the job is coming up with a decision when a manager has an unsure feedback.

*Most enjoyable part of the job is when user's are satisfied with the service our team provides. This also includes when a project is completed.
Pros
Very nice office spaces
Cons
Demanding users
All work mates I worked with were skilled and I found them that they would watch your back always while working out in the field such as in road works etc. The day would start with a tool Box meeting to discuss job and any safety issues etc, Management was good and always outlined correct details for the job each day.
The most enjoyable part of the job!! the work itself
Pros
No pros
Cons
no cons
When i was employed at Downer, they had just bought another buisnes called Tenix. Downer are new to The Power Industry and didn't really know what was going on. Me and my work collegues found it difficult to get any appropriate gear needed to get job done and found that they had no idea what was involved work wise to getting the job done. I felt pressured at work with them breathing down our necks wanting more production when we are doing our hardest, fastest, and safest work all rolled into one. Apart from that not too bad at all. Good salary and use of vehicles outside of work hours.
Excellent structure from managers through to engineers,
Very supportive.

Everyday is different from the last.

Good apprenticeship programme which i was fortunate enough to benefit from.
work with my fellow workers in downer i enjoy with them ,i learned how to communicate especially my english language ,i enjoyed my work in UFB installing splitters in flash 9 .work as work teamate .
Pros
more technical trainings
Cons
more overtimes
Downer were a great company to work for in the first two years but over the last year they are struggling to recruit and maintain staff. Unfortunately I feel that this is due to the nature of work and the company being one of the lowest paying in the industry. I have however learnt many new skills in the industry and progressed a few times to the role I am currently in. I currently have a great team that I look after and have fought to keep them but Downer just aren't willing to pay their worth. The hardest part of the job for me is the lack of planning and organisation by my superiors. While i have no problem thinking on my feet and finding solutions to these problems I feel that the company is too focused to cost cutting and not on its workers requirements.
Pros
over time allowences
Cons
looking after its people
working with downer has given me all the skills I need in life
and cant say more good things about the company.

the system that they work under means your safety is well looked after.
The most enjoyable part of working was my co-workers.
I enjoyed most days because of how my co-workers were.

Management were very organised with most things.

We were well informed with what was going on in the company and what our tasks and goals were for the week,day,month,year.

We were definitely rewarded for our work.
Ordering utility plans, gaining consent from land owners and the council to work in their land as well as scheduling the technicians work and updating each customer every day.
Everybody works hard in the lower positions of the company. I learned that companies do have many staff that love the company and stay for 30+ years. I learnt that some management are embroiled in personal politics which helps nobody. My co workers were hard working and very helpful. My job was fantastic as I was able to make a notable difference and was appreciated by everyone at the branch.
Pros
Very enjoyable job for me.
Cons
Made redundant through perceived politics.
There is no job security or management support at ITS Downers Group.
You are a temp so you wait for a text each day to know whether there will be work the next day - impossible to budget, scary when you have a household to support.

The staff break company rules and NZ laws constantly and when you report this to management, you are the one punished by getting no work. Some of the staff drink and drive, turn up to work intoxicated, drive without appropriate licenses and ITS Downers say they practice "zero harm".

DON'T work for this company!!!
Pros
Cons
See above
I was employed as a temp, but the Business who owned the machinery I was operating came back to Downers as his employment had ceased and stated he was going to work his equipment - so my role unfortunately ceased.
Pros
Great Foreman
Cons
Distance to travel to work
Working for Downer was a great company to work for, they were really safety focused, which made everyone stop and just take 5, before we started our day. They were also big on training, so if were unsure we would be either shown by someone, or we would all be trained together so everyone was up to speed. Our field manger was fantastic, always there to help or even come out to the job site and help us to get the problem sorted.
A typical start, was ringing every customer, that was booked in for a Optical install, just to let them know we were coming, and also to we were coming on the right day and time that they had been informed by there internet provider.

Then we would look at all the information we had of were the fibre was located in the street and work out the best route to the house, and consult with them on the best place for all the hardware to make the new optical connection work.

Everyone that worked on the installs were great, always there to help or lend equipment if necessary. Great people, great work environment and when the job that the customer was happy with and the fibre was up and working at the speed they had signed up for that always made the day a good day.

Hardest part was when we would have blocked tubes which meant the fibre wasn't able to be blown from the street to the house. Which meat it was passed back to the build contractor who put all the tube's in, to come back and dig up and fix the problem, which delayed the customer from switching to fibre.
Pros
Fully equiped van, phone, tablet. Great team, good management.
Cons
Sometimes long days to finish the job for the comitment date.
Management team, although quite often changed, showed professionalism in carrying out actions and listening to the staff feedback. Typical day work would be to visit sites, audit, keep control of the finance and operations of all sites.
Good Company, but too many changes to Management and work practises. Demanding at times and hard work, but good wages. Had to work in dangerous weather conditions and horrible roads to drive on with no 4x4 vehicle
Pros
Worked from home with company vehicle
Cons
To much expectation to complete jobs with minimal time, frustrating and constant requests to move on to other work