Downer Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Downer Group Employee Reviews

New Zealand81 reviews
Fast paced environment, challenging staff issues, communication was not the greatest and management were not easily available. They do have a good health and safety plan which is communicated well.
Pros
Work vehicle.
Cons
No recognition for long hours
i learned to know my ways all around auckland and i also drove around the whole of New Zealand, the good thing about this job was getting to travel
I like to challenge myself at any task given to me. I am hard working and like to be hands on. Working in with the workforce has its rewards to earning respect.

Working with people is what I enjoy. I have learn't that people are the hardest tool to work with but if they are treated as you expect them to treat you the result is better performance.
most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new and interesting people and allowed to think outside the square .
doing jobs in time and under budget when told they couldn't be done , travelling through the sth island to do jobs .some times middle management got to comfortable in their jobs and were sometimes frustrating to work with and for

co workers took along time before they classed you as one of them - but came good in the end.

the hardest part of the job was being a newbie and bringing in new ideas that worked but weren't always acted on .

typical day was pre start meetings , ordering material , forward planning and fingers crossed everything went as planned
Pros
doing jobs on time and under budget, when told it couldnt be done
Cons
some of the middle management were to comfortable in their jobs
day begins with picking up jobs & job assessment know what type of fault you are tackling check to have the right tools also know the type of work & amount of time will be used on job good relation with co-workers is not having the right mentality for the job doing new work everyday also having a chance to work in other parts of the country.
Pros
having work from home
Cons
bad relationship with co-workers
Typical day at work with downers started with a morning coffee and chat with workmates before heading our seperate ways to our work sites, i learnt a wide range of skills which i thought was bit hard and confusing at 1st but my workmates were there to explain the job at hand well and also helped me out when i had bit of trouble aswell as taught me how to operate the machinery involved with some jobs when i got qualified aswell as my license to operate the machinery on site.

Mangement at the time was awesome and understanding with me instead of dropping me in the deep end and sending me out on jobs i knew nothing about instead they paired me up with 1 of the experienced guys and crew to help me out.

The hardest part of the job was having to leave the awesome crew and workmates i was working with and management who taught me alot of the skills i picked up within the industry.

The most enjoyable part of the job was turning up everyday chatting with workmates aswell as mangement, they made me excited bout getting up and going to work everyday because not only were my workmates a bunch of awesome, funny and easy going people they made you feel like you were apart of their family and made the depo and workplace feel like a safe place to work.
We do everything on a different place every day. Provisioning more than maintenance, as everyone wants broadband on those days. Have learned a lot on the last 7 Years, We travel between places and bring a good service to our customers.
Safety is priority.

Hardest part is DSL frequent disconnection, when you have to take time to discover where is your fault. Most enjoyable part is when you do 10 jobs on a day, because you get paid for what you do.
Pros
Great pay and working outside.
Cons
Weather
Start at 7:30am Finish whenever. Stand by and Call out on weekends every third week. Sometimes travelling great distances to jobs around the country.
Learned to programme MUX cabinets, ADSL, VDSL, wireless ADSL and digital phone systems. Installing BRA & PRA networks.

Management was good when left to own devices. Supplied equipment and resources when needed.

Great co-workers, Three of us covered TelstraClears network from Waikato, Coromandle, Bay of plenty to Taumarunui. Worked as a team and always helped one another.

Hardest part of the job was always doing overtime, standby and callouts.

Enjoyed working with high tech equipment.
Pros
Enjoyed the high tech equipment.
Cons
Long hours low wages.
high staff turnover, management terrible, no communication, treat temps like dirt,
Pros
hours
Cons
company
Secutity of tenure
Job security and Iam applying for permanent residence
The people and the area where amazing. Need to play by the rules when working .
i learned how to use netmap.

i enjoy the environment.

the co-workers is very kind.
Pros
free accommdation
Cons
Worked for this company a few years back, enjoyed my time there , Reason for leaving got asked by another company to work for them. Left on good terms , taught alot of young guys the ropes.
Re applied to work for them again late last year for the same type of work, so was well qualified for the job. However was phoned by their HR and was told I was too old as they don't employ anyone over 60 , got this email in reply

"We have reviewed your application and after considering your skills, qualifications, background and experience relevant to this particular position, we regret to inform you that we will not be progressing your application to the next stage.

We will continue to hold your application on file for any future opportunities that we think you would be more suited to"

Despite them advertising for similar positions have never heard from them again
A typical day would not be without; problem solving, troubleshooting and management of expectations.

We would learn something every day whether it be technical detail or how to minimize risks.

Both the hardest and most enjoyable part of the job was the employment relations.
Pros
Job satisfaction and great people.
Cons
Empty promises, reactive management and token corporate gestures around health&safety (the focus is on a safe environment, they fail to consider the human element and the effect that ongoing workplace stresses have on an individual's ability to stay safe.)

They'll send you up a power pole, fully kitted out, with hard hat and safety harness... but turn a blind eye to the fact that you've been working 10hours already, the light is fading and the only break you got a chance to take that day was interrupted by dispatch dumping more work on you. Praise is lumped on those who work 7days a week.

There is no structure or system to effectively use the pool of staff available. Attempts to raise issues and seek resolution = personal attacks and a generally squeeze being applied until the individual either leaves, or otherwise shuts up. They operate on a divide and conquer principle... every employee is an island. Very poor morale.

Depression is rife. The company uses an EAP programme, to provide counselling to staff, but you'll have to fight to take leave, to make an appointment. The support starts and ends there, you take your problems to EAP and fix them there, or don't come back. No interest in creating a workplace that works for frontline staff. Sadly this means the good people move on and the ones who remain get more and more bitter.

Best viewed as a stepping stone to somewhere else or an opportunity to work ALL OF THE HOURS and save some money.

Be warned tho, you wont get the option to scale back your hours as you age/ life changes. It's all or nothing.
Pros
Permanent roles, Overtime rates, Safety gear provided.
Cons
Long hours, compulsory overtime, lack of essential resources, no support for real issues.
I work in an environment that recognises individual achievement ,upskilling and is culture tolerant .Everyday is different and this makes my work very interesting and challenging.
did like the work no day the same all way busy worked all over
like to help and keep every thing moving, worked over sea on break downs after floods. did learn a lot of new things

it could be a hard job some days, had to make sure all plant was safe to use and ready to use on time,

and watch costs so could win jobs when using it. looked after about 300 units from pearoa hamiltion to tekiui plant was from cranes 100 ton to smaller hydraulic cranes etc paver hot mix plant repairs and mods to roller, diggers, pump , trucks utes cars just about every time of machine you can get
Pros
free clothes all ways got payed on time
Cons
all way changing mangers had about 10 plus mangers in my time, on call 24 hours
Must Present every day to work
I have learned about Matrix Software in Downers

Report Direct to Project Manager
Cons
7 to 5
theres only one thing hard on traffic control and thats standing doing stop go for 10 to 15hrs a day with no break 5 days a week maybe if there was a way of sitting down then itll be great
Downer EDI Works is committed to designing, constructing and maintaining the best solutions for its customers while focusing on the safety of its employees and the sustainability of the communities in which it operates. It can offer its employees a variety of work and provides comprehensive training and career development opportunities.
always good working in diferent areas of the waikato,i learnt different ways of work sites to ensure safety.wasnt realy a difficult job hardest part for me was standing on stop/go for long periods of the day.i enjoyed moving around from rural sites,highways and scenic routes.
Pros
cruisy job
Cons
lack of exercise on the job