Downer NZ Employee Reviews

Staffs are rude
Electrical Inspector (Former Employee) –  Auckland13 February 2018
Today there was road works carried on my street and no signs were visible but down the road was stopped by a ride work and when asked for the sign failed to show one.
When call to the head office with complaint of the staff been so rude the office staff was even worst.
Wow downer is losing its touch with people.
Qualitative testing and fun place
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland11 February 2018
I was working on project at NCTIR, it was a whole challenging project.it was first time I was working individual and was challenging at start to managing all client test request and submit reports. It was good experience to learn management skills. it was a good team and we have a fun time over a weekend.
Pros
Learning never stop
Fun place to work, organised
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  131 Kerrs Road Manukau10 February 2018
- 24 Hour service centre- good team work
- I have learned that of safety for fellow staff out in the field working sometimes in very poor condition very of vital importance.
- I had learned to use the GPS tracking of technicians vehicles for their safety
- completion of work tickets in timely manner paying attention to high priority jobs
- the workplace had good team of people and was fun to work with.
- often we celebrates fellow staff birthdays and /or farewells
- I loved the impromptu exercises we had at least once and twice a day where we all get up and do exercises, shake our bodies and laugh for about 5 minutes and then settle for work.
The hardest part was when the weather turn bad. Tickets for fault comes flying in on Spark exchanges, Vodafone's cell sites or Auckland councils properties etc.
Trying to work out the priorities on each jobs was very difficult especially if it happens on weekends.
Technicians Managers were helpful in organising his area of staff for deployment and things get fun again.
Pros
Christmqas gifts from company, fornightly shared lunches, farewell and birthdays celebrations
Cons
Sometimes staff shortages, unable to get tech to attend to job
See also later review
Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland3 February 2018
The role was on a fixed term contract in the quality / project engineer role.

The contact was part 2 of a 2 part contract, installing steam pipes, from geothermal well heads to a new geothermal power station in the central north island.

Downer were, reportedly awarded the work in preference to the stage 1 contractor, in part to due to the clients dissatisfaction with the Stage 1 contractors documentation of their work.

Downer set up a well defined and resourced process for controlling quality and producing documentation for the works. My job was to deliver it.

The project had a number of challenges, including constructability issues and time pressures. The new steam pipes needed to be ready in time to turn the turbines in the new power station when they were ready to start earning the client money to repay their investment.

The project was successful for both my employer and the client and led to the offer of more permanent employment with Downer. The project convinced me of the benefits of a well defined process.
Pros
Great team spirit.
Cons
Long hours & time pressure.
A growing Infrastructure construction and maintenance company
Project Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Auckland3 February 2018
Downer NZ has a number of divisions including Road Maintenance, Technology, Transportation, Road Science, and Infrastructure Projects. It has changed a lot in recent times making some important acquisitions in building and building services.

Downer operates in a number of ways, including term contracts, alliances, and tendered projects.

I work in the Infrastructure Projects division which has, over the past three years, evolved from regional teams working on local projects, to a one team philosophy, lead by two general managers split geographically - North Island based in Auckland and South Island based in Christchurch.

This change required site staff to become more flexible over location, with extended periods working away from home. For me this has brought both pros and cons such as travel and increased income but a reduction in work life balance and much time spent away from loved ones. Others view the opportunity to spend 12 months to 3 years working at different locations around the country, on larger infrastructure projects, some of National importance, as a major draw card for working in this division of the business.

The New Zealand Pike River Mining disaster, brought with it law changes that have forced all major Australasian companies to review the way they manage risk.

Downer NZ Infrastructure Projects is no exception and is looking to become more process driven, as reflected in it taking on ISO 9001:2015 accreditation this year and investing in a new governance team to develop it's Integrated Management System (IMS and improve it's Project Management
  more... Method(s).  less
Pros
Importance of the work
Cons
Work life balance
lovely experience
Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland8 January 2018
loved every minute of working at downers. management is great and understanding. All employees were a pleasure to work with, lots of fun I recommend all new comers.
Stable and secure employer
Electrical and HVAC Installation Manager (Former Employee) –  Manurewa East, Auckland2 January 2018
I truly enjoyed working for Downer Engineering where I learned so much and it complimented my experience. I had a good crew that I was managing and we met with the expectations of Chorus and telecom where KPI's were not only met but exceeded.
Pros
Great company to work for with supportive senior management
Cons
None to mention.
Learnt many things
Digger operator & truck driver (Former Employee) –  Queenstown, Otago29 August 2017
Here I learnt many things to do with heavy machinery, such as operating diggers, rollers, loaders and driving trucks aswell. Most crews were good to work alongside
Very satisfying job.
Project Consents Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Wiri, Auckland29 June 2017
Responding to e-mails
Updating the many current files on the go.
Planning meetings with project managers & planners
Council meetings
Site visits
I learned time management skills
Management were easy to get along with on all levels
Hardest part was making sure all the supporting documentation was available to the project managers on site. ie: Council consents with supporting plans.
I enjoyed everything about this job. It offered variety, challenge & an opportunity to learn new things & meet different people.
I travelled approx. every 2 weeks to sites which were from Hawkes Bay to Wellington.
Pros
Challenge, satisfying, positive.
A good Fun Buch of Guys To Work With
Store Logistics Adminitrator (Current Employee) –  Dunedin, Otago30 May 2017
Receiving in Stock, organising inbound / outbound stock and equipment, I also order all stock for the store, supplying the infrastructure side of the business.
This covers areas including all central Otago , as far north as Oamaru.
I also receipt and process all invoices that happen to come through the store, Also I communicate with and have a close working relationship with all of the suppliers that provide the equipment that we need here.
I find the Job reasonably easy to handle each day through time management and talking with other staff and managers about their upcoming needs and requirements.
Pros
Staff are easy to get along with and enjoy a joke or two
Cons
Possibility for advancement is not all that good.
fun place to be.
Road works (Former Employee) –  Waiheke Island, Auckland17 May 2017
waking up early fresh ready for work starting work at 7 in the morning is really a wake up call but once you start liking and enjoying what you do, you really start looking forward to what you have planned for the day and to see a few work mates during the day keeps it all together making it comfortable.
Great Experience
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury12 May 2017
A typical day at work includes installing new service and troubleshooting problems on existing service. I have excellent co-workers and good relationships with all of them! The hardest part of my job is the uncertainty of what I will be doing from day to day.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Work not organied very well. Could be better.
Enjoyable
Site Traffic Management Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton New Zealand5 April 2017
Clocking in was always something id look forward to. Getting to catch up with the work crew well waiting for the supervisor to send us to our jobs. every morning as a team we would all help each other out by loading each vehicle with the equipment we needed for the day. once we new where the job was going to be and our vehicles had the equipment we needed we would then make our way to the job and set up. it was never a dull day with the crew members i worked with we were all like family looked after each other at work like we would do our own family's at home. every day i was learning new things from individual team members whether it was helping load the digger on to the truck to showing me how each plant/machinery worked which i really enjoyed because i was learning the knowledge from the experienced operators. They were never fussed in teaching members in there crew how things were done they always looked at it like we were the up an coming workers so if they needed the extra hand if the operator wasn't in for the day or two then we would have the experience to operate which was also good cause they would then help put the guys through there licences to get them qualified. the whole 6 years 3 months i was with Downers was an amazing journey from knowing hardly anything to becoming a person who has gained so much knowledge all thanks to the people who i had worked with well been there.
Overall good company to work for.
Scaffolder (Former Employee) –  Barrow Island23 March 2017
Enjoyed my working experience with Downer. The scaffolding department was an awesome team to be a part of. Great blokes and a good management team. Would always look for an opportunity to work with the Downer team again.
Pros
Good Roster. Worked with a great team of scaffolders. Paid well.
Cons
Working away from home.
Productivity was good and the workplace was excellent.
Driver/ STMS Sealling crew (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato6 March 2017
I enjoyed working with the crew I was with because we all got to know how each person worked and what their limitations were. I was working as a temp .
Being out with the selling crew , it was all about keeping everyone safe as there is a lot of danger around the job and we would all have a tailgate before starting any job and the hazards that could happen.
The hardest part of the day is when everyone is tired at the end of the day and we have to pack up, signs/cones any paper that was used.
I enjoyed the job regardless , I love hard work.
We always managed to finish our roads so we were quite Productive for Downers EDI.
Pros
Team work, long hours, everyone looked after each other.
Cons
Sometimes we never had enough signs or other equipment for on the road. It was, work with what you got.
Hands on approach to anything
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  New Zealand8 February 2017
Working with clients is what i enjoy most. New challenges each day keeps the doctor away. Travelling in and between jobs is always fun. Love life and people.
Pros
Never off sick
Cons
Always rushing
Asphalt Plant
High level customer Service (Former Employee) –  Penrose, Auckland16 January 2017
Very busy at times
learnt how to operate a weighmate system use to load trucks with asphalt
management not so great lack of communications witin the management team also to many managers not enough workers
Productive and busy place to work for
Fibre Provisioning Technician (Current Employee) –  Washdyke10 January 2017
It is an enjoyable job with regular customer contact and strive to improve and learn. Good team to work with and collaborate in time of need.
Pros
Manage you own work day
Cons
sometimes long hours
Productive, the Company of Opportunities
Team Leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Auckland NZ5 January 2017
I spent 8 years here!!! learnt so much, I was exposed to so much of the business hence the reason I am working for them in Melbourne currently. Made so many good friends, good management, and also had the opportunity to be part of a lot of teams including the Leadership team that I thoroughly enjoyed. Hardest part of my job was having to leave to relocate and learn new things.
Awesome
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington7 December 2016
Great place to work, great people to work with and management of our department was exceptional.
The work was great.
Lots of training opportunities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Downer NZ. Our community is ready to answer.