Eastern Institute of Technology
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Eastern Institute of Technology Employee Review

A professional tertiary Institute who are student focused

19 September 2012
2012 saw me working in three roles, .07 as a Literacy Champion, .01 as Literacy Advisor/Trainer and .02 as an IT Tutor for Vocational Trades. In my Champion role, I had sole responsibility for working with vocational teaching teams (approx 150 staff on 33 vocational programmes), helping with needs analysis of LLN, assessing students current literacy and numeracy abilities, mapping course demands, identifying context specific LLN opportunities within programmes and educating tutors who are responsible for the education of students in their care to design and develop appropriate LLN resources. As a Literacy Advisor, working in a team of three was responsible for the design and delivery of a region wide staff development programme on LLN which has been running successfully for the past 3 years. Finally as an IT Tutor for Vocational Trades, having chosen not to teaching at degree level for 2012, I chose to focus on second chance learners - this area of teaching, although much lower in demand of my high skills levels, gave me the most job satisfaction. The hardest part of my 2012 role was getting 'buy in' from teaching staff, staff who had not took part in LLN staff development, it took determination on my part to build their trust. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with students, whether is be degree, diploma or certificate levels, they each have their own agenda and found accommodating this both challenging and highly rewarding
Pros
professional development opportunities
Cons
sometimes the campus wide meetings were boring and uninteresting!
20 February 2018
Same location
Liaison (Former Employee) - Taradale, Hawke's Bay
My first time there I was being interviewed for a fixed term contract...didn't hear a thing my future manager was saying as I was looking out his window saying to myself what an awesome place to be. Great education opportunities if you could fit it in around your busy work schedule. Excellent colleagues who I gained a lot of respect for! Management were supportive in some areas and in others, a bit behind the times! The students made the days tolerable even the ones who dragged their feet and were at times uncooperative! When they graduated it made all the hard work worth it!
Pros
Well kept and tidy campus
Cons
Can't think of any
7 February 2018
Same location
Online Services (Current Employee) - Taradale, Hawke's Bay
Completing study with a job opportunity from EIT was a great way to further develop the skills I had gained from my course. It has given me the ability to advance futher and as an employer they have been encouraging and supportive.
Pros
Flexible hours
8 March 2017
Student (Former Employee) - Napier, Hawke's Bay
setting goals for stable future for my family showing them that with hard work pays off and being offered the help with work experience placement I have the right atitude to secure my familys future and show that wat ever they choose to do theycan achieve .