EF Education First

3.5Work–Life Balance
3.1Pay & Benefits

Found 32 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,111 reviews

Fun work place

Good management, nice location.Accommodation provided not the bestGood company to work for overall. Management are friendly and will try to find solutions to any issues you have.

Pros

Free lunches for the summer

Cons

fairly low pay- not very flexible

Great summer job

A great summer job. Not too tiering, often quite fun. A very relaxed place to work but the management was so unorganised and the company is very profit orientated. Sometimes it was boring as you'd be teaching the same lesson all day to different classes.

Pros

Pay, some free stuff, sometimes you get free snacks, free excursions for staff, weekly staff socials, opportunity for overtime with activities, most of the children are great to work with

Cons

You have to teach from the EF course book which is really boring and tedious, the management is a mess and disorganised, the management also don't seem to care that much

No job security, teachers not valued

After working with them for three years, they started cutting my hours. I literally couldn't afford to work for them anymore. Low pay, no benefits, no paid vacation, terrible internal customer service.

Pros

Make your own schedule, work from home

Cons

Low pay, no benefits, no job security, no paid vacation

Not bad job for people who want to travel.

The job is physically demanding. Saturdays and Sundays are long hours. It takes time to get used to living in China. Some schools have a better workplace culture than others. Free chinese lessons are a plus.

Pros

Free chinese lessons

Fun environment but Poor Benefits

Fast paced work environment with great co-workers. Limited benefits and ZERO paid time off makes it an unsustainable job. Somewhat flexible in terms of work hours, but an inconsistent schedule.

Flexibility

One thing I love about working here is the flexibility. You can make your own schedule as a teacher and adjust it as needed. There are no benefits if you are independent contractor though.

Pros

Freedom and flexibility

Cons

No benefits (independent contractors)

Days with fun and passion

At EF, people around you are really motivated and hardworking. We got alone well with each other like a family. Compared with most companies in China, EF provides pretty competitive insurance and leave package for employees but the salaries and career path should be considered redesign to encourage more experienced people.

Pros

Insurance and annual leave

Cons

Promotion policy

Bad managment

Sales oriented, has no idea how to run English schools. Messes up teacher pay all the time. Does not pay well. Poor benefits. No job security. Your worth is based on personality only.

Pros

Cons

Many

Great, flexible job

I work as an online EFL teacher. They provide great training for teaching and using their platform. You can set your own hours and work at whatever time works best for you. Grading students is not difficult, but sometimes it does take longer than they say it should. This is my only problem with the job: if it takes you longer than they allot to do something, you do not get paid for that time. But, the benefits of the job, and the ease of the job, far outweigh that.

Good job environment but quite unstable

Education First gave me an opportunity to learn more about teaching and develop my managerial skills. I co-manage a team of 13 teachers together with my Director of Studies at Shanghai Lixin University of Commerce, which is a client of English First Academic Partnerships, a subdivision of Education First (EF) here in Shanghai (China). My current schedule includes 12 hours of teaching and 28 hours of management and office work a week. I teach IELTS, Business English and General English to undergraduate students in their early 20s. I supervise all seven courses in our department (for a total of five thousand students in two different campuses) and I train our teachers. I observe their lessons twice a semester and I write a report based on ten areas (such as: Basics, Materials, Error Correction, Classroom Management, Adaptations, Rapport, Teacher Language, Staging and Links, Feedback, Reflection). This is followed by a post-observation feedback session where I praise the teachers for their achievements or strengths and I suggest some target areas for future development. This is the most enjoyable part of my job. I also really enjoy planning lessons, managing course and spending time with my students. The hardest part of the job, at the moment, is the commute. Shanghai is world's largest city and I currently travel two hours a day for work.

Pros

Professional Development

Cons

University Campuses are spread over a really vaste urban area

A ruthless language factory

This has to be one of the most exploitative schools I have ever worked in as a Teacher. Avoid this school like the plague. It makes Ryan Air look like a Charity. Their Dublin branch tried to put all its teachers on a flat-rate of pay which worked out at below the minimum wage. You have been warned. This factory-like school will show no mercy.

Pros

Cons

long, underpaid hours

A company that supports its workforce and sets high standards

I enjoyed working for EF. They supported me consistently throughout my time with them and helped to raise my teaching standards to a considerable degree.

Pros

Consistent support from senior management.

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at EF Education First. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• EF Education First
  • Teacher
  • Pay & Benefits
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?