EF Education First

EF Education First Employee Reviews for Activity Leader

Activity Leader31 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Found 31 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,111 reviews

Fun workplace and satisfying results

I loved my coworkers and my students. It is so fun to see the students happy and enjoying themselves. Fun workplace but the pay is fairly low for the amount of work you do. Although, management can be unorganized at times.

Fun part time work

As a local activity leader, you need to move around a lot, like a tour guide + a teacher job. Fun if you like traveling, and exploring. Kids can be a handful but cute.

Guter Arbeitsort

Ich hab den Sommer über als Activity Leader gearbeitet und es hat total Spaß gemacht! Das Team war cool drauf, die Kinder haben größtenteils keine Probleme bereitet und es war einfach ein echt guter Sommerjob. Würde ich jederzeit wieder machen.

Pros

Essens- und Transportkosten werden gestellt

Run away for your own sake

You cannot win here.Got not training whatsoever and got shouted at for any slight mistake. Absolutely incapable management team at every level. Four different managers in the space of 3 months in my section only which says a lot, not even mentioning the month we had no school director in the middle of high season. Got to deal with extremely disappointed students on a weekly basis (the prices they pay for this is a whole scam). Extreme and undoable hours in the summer and absolutely none during the winter. (In the middle of an energy crisis which is horrendous) No recognition for your efforts or knowledges. Eery conversations with the managers about their absolutely unreachable level of expectations where you have to scream internally because of how unrealistic it is. Basically if you want to get blame for an underfonded and disorganised workplace then this is the job for you!

One of the best summers of my life

You meet amazing people and have amazing experiences. I would recommend this to anyone however, you will need patience and a strong character due to some students.

Poor management and stressful

The job itself is stressful and requires all of your time and energy. The working times are unpredictable as things are always being cancelled or added. They never gave you a heads up for ANYTHING. Moreover, the management was all over the place and never gave you a straight answer, very uncooperative and unprofessional. They didn't pay me for three weeks and I basically had to beg them for my money. I DO NOT recommend working here.

Pros

Free lunch and new experiences

Cons

Long hours, poor management, unprofessional behaviour

Activity Supervisor

I have been part of a multi-lingual, conscientious, motivated team. Every day presented different challenges involving using all my communication, management, creative, empathetic skills. I really enjoyed the challenge.

Sometimes fun, but incredibly stressful job

There are undoubtedly good moments within this job. You will meet brilliant people and children, many of whom are international, and you will feel part of the team. I have made good friends for life from this job. However, I believe there are a number of negatives which you would want to consider before applying for this role. The pay you receive in this role does not reflect the high quantity of hours you will have to work, and the difficulties you are likely to also face in the role. Effectively, even during your small amount of time of, you will most likely still have to deal with incidents that occur and spend a lot of your time planning for the following days events. Overall, I am glad I did the job for the experience, as it showed me that I am more than capable of handling stressful situations, however it is certainly not a job for everyone, and if you would like a summer where you get plenty of time to do what you want to do, or long hours, responsibility and planning are not for you, then I would suggest you look for a different role.

Fun and different

Great fun for international exposure, lots of skills learnt e.g. patience, confidence when speaking to large groups of people and met great co-workers who were encouraging and helpful.

Official response from EF Education First

10 January 2020
Thank you for this feedback and your work at EF! Great to hear that you enjoyed coming to work, and being exposed to the international environment we operate in. Our people and culture are something we are very proud of and what really makes us different. Wish you all the best for 2020.

Long hours and stressful work environment

Job included leading fun games for international students and leading tours around local areas. An incredible experience meeting people from all over the world and kids learning a new language. Managment and upper managment were extremely disorganized and at times unproffessional. There was little to no training and you are expected to lead children on tours in a country you have never been in.

Pros

build amazing connections with interesting people

Cons

long hours, low pay and unorganized

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at EF Education First?

Don't even bother working here!

I never review any companies I have worked at but Im gonna have to make an expection for this one! *Dublin branch - Activity Leader.* I worked here and I signed a contract (because I was desperate for a job) which was a fixed flat rate of pay. Below minimum wage. I even left my studies early and didn't do 3 exams just so I do my training and start work on the date they offered me. They informed me at the very start that I will get a 6 week contract. They only gave me 4 weeks (after I completed 4 weeks they informed me) absolute snakes. Otherwise I would have worked in many other places I got offered. Most management were not trained properly on how to deal with their staff or how to deal with international students. They actually did not know how to do the most simple tasks which puzzled me abit. Spoken down to a lot and expected to do donkey work. Everyone is just talking about eachother, full gossib! This is NOT a workplace. Over all the different 18 jobs I have ever worked in my life, this one tops it for being the most unorganised dump. NOTHING is ever organised. Its not even normal. I would NOT recommend this place to anyone. Some staff were amazing but others didnt have a brain cell which lead to managment and organisation problems. They never appreciate any work you do. All the staff I have spoken to informed me that they will never work there again. Terrible management. Terrible company. Stay away from EF!

Pros

Nothing.

Cons

Long working hours. Low pay. Terrible management.

Fun, engaging work place

Getting to meet passionate individuals from all over the world for the summer was fun. Getting to know and be able to interact with young students from again, around the globe was very rewarding.

Demanding but fun.

Great fun and rewarding, but a lot is expected of you and the hours are very long. Management top down needs to be improved and there is a severe lack of training across all functions.

A great company with great values

During two summers, I had the chance to be part of a great team and an entirely new position that I wouldn’t have expected to happen during my life. I was an Activity Leader at Education First in Cambridge, UK.

Terrible Management

I'm not sure if it specific to my program, but, the management of EF was terrible. I know some in the administration at the school that were amazing people. In Activities, however, the person I reported to was unorganized, last-minute, and overall a mess.

Pros

Free trips to NYC destinations

Cons

Poor management, long hours, stressful environment, unorganized

Brilliant job, little pay, a once in a life time must. An experience more than a job!

Great experience to work on, working with students aged 13-18 from multi nationalities, all over Europe and Asia! Great cultural experience, I was based in Oxford in my first year and then London in my second! Little pay for the responsibilities/ hours. Suits a person who is in college/Uni etc.

Pros

free meals, fun on the job, living in great locations, cities etc etc.

Cons

Long hours, little pay for the responsibilities

Great Team

Long Hours, Great Summer Job, Work with lots of good people. Required to work 6 days a week for a period of 8 / 10 Weeks, so is very tiring. Rewarding however, pay could be better. If you work out how much you are paid per hour, it is very low for the role we do.

Pros

Good Team

Cons

Long Hours

great oportunity and learning experience

I loved working with lots of different students and because everyone worked so closely over the summer period everyone became very close which made the demanding job easier. The unsocial hours were expected as part of the job but were rewarding at the same time. The management and organisation of the business were lacking from time to time which is also the nature of the job to some extent.

Loved working with international students and staff but it was disorganized

I had a great time working with the kids but management was very disorganized. It was clear that they had no experience working with children. Also, what was told to the employees during their interview about the job was actually different than working in the position.

Pros

Working with international students and staff

Cons

Disorganized, some of the attitudes from the participants, getting paid 7.25 an hour

Exciting and Rewarding

Working with Education First always brings something new. Everyday is different with regards to working with the students and creating enjoyable activities for them. Working with the company is definitely rewarding as you can see the students grow and ensure that their educational break away from home is one that they will remember for years to come!

Pros

Tight knit management team, strong support, a fun role.

Cons

Long hours, lots of walking.

Awesome place to work

I love EF! I want to work for them year round, but for the summer it was great. Very diverse and got to learn about different cultures, languages and mannerisms

Ask a question about working or interviewing at EF Education First. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• EF Education First