EF Education First

EF Education First Employee Reviews for English As A Second Language Teacher

English As A Second Language Teacher111 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Found 111 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,111 reviews

The students were friendly.

The students were friendly and eager to learn. It was interesting to share experiences with them. Many of them preferred to talk and did not want a formal lesson.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Low pay

If you’re desperate for a teaching job…

You get virtually no benefits, virtually no class prep time, insensitive and micro-managing supervisors. The only “good thing” is that you get paid, and you learn about what a toxic workplace can look like.This company is extremely disorganized, and see their students as customers first. This means that they would prioritize profit rather than help students by giving them honest and sincere opportunities for growth. Sometimes, the supervisors won’t even stoop to using emotional manipulation to get you to do what they want.

Pros

Teaching experience

Cons

Get paid 15 minutes of prep time for an 80 minute class, short lunch break

Great place to work. Well respected as a teacher. Payment always on time. Problems solved in timely manner. Training good . Curriculum well established.

You will be overworked and underpaid.

worked with some amazing people at EF. The teaching team is the most diverse I've ever come across - with a mix of ages, cultures, interests, etc. I met some real friends for life and I cannot recommend the team enough.But unfortunately, that's the only real positive. Oh, tell a lie. Sometimes they buy you donuts.The teaching team will consist of hourly teachers (90%) with the rest being made of up contracted staff. Hourly teachers are paid around £15 an hour whilst the contracted staff are paid roughly £20,000 a year. In a city that is one of the most expensive to live in, it is farcical that the company can happily pay so little. What's more, the teaching staff have not had a pay rise since 2016. The management will do everything they can to give hours to contracted staff (despite making promises to them that they won't be given all day shifts). This means that contracted staff end up earning about £10 an hour. Planning is not paid. Extra admin stuff (like filling in grades and schemes of work) is not paid. As you will most likely be working from 8:45am-5pm, most of your free time will be spent planning.You will be overworked and underpaid and if you even dare to question it you will be blacklisted and lose your hours. They have an incredibly high turnover of staff. I worked at EF Oxford for 15 months and must have worked with upwards of 60 different teachers. There are only 15 classrooms.Management are rude and obnoxious. Communication is extremely poor and there is a lot of favouritism of specific staff.They will try and sell you on career advancement by saying -

Pros

Sometimes there would be donuts in the staff canteen, I think they paid for lunch a few times, The teaching team is amazing.

Cons

Not paid enough and the company do not want to do anything about it.

Will suck the life out of you

Abominable pay, no security, bad management, no sense of community. The students are ok, but the cons don't make the job worth it. Avoid the company if you can.

Pros

Global company

Cons

No job security

Fair overall experience.

I heard their hourly rate went down since I worked there, so I can't say I recommend it as much as I would have while I was there. Management was very hands-off, which I liked, but might frustrate workers wanting more feedback.

Great students, poor treatment of remote teachers

The orientation program and the platform are very intuitive, easy to use and during your trial period, you get assigned a mentor that guides you through how the EF platform works. I had two different mentors who were amazing, experienced people at the beginning and made the transition smooth. You open up availability every week. On Thursdays, classes are assigned to you according to the availability you set the week before. Getting classes was not ever a problem until Autumn 2021 when the company decided to overhire a lot of new, inexperienced tutors from not-so-developed countries to cut down labour costs that more qualified, veteran native-speaking teachers like myself were causing the company. Apart from that, the management changed during the pandemic. It was previously managed by a former ESL teacher with a business background but in late 2019, the new management was comprised of people with a business background that had little to no regard/respect for teachers and applied a series of policies that made it extremely difficult to get students.Last but not least, their cancellation policy is outrageous. You get paid 40% of the hourly rate ONLY if the student cancels the class within 2 hours of the class starting time. Otherwise, if the student cancels within 48 hours, your class slot is left blank and you can only replace the time you've lost if you're lucky enough to be able to get a sub from the board (which seldom happens). To add insult to injury, if the student did not cancel the class but does not attend it, you only get paid 30% of the hourly rate.Finally, -

Pros

Amazing adult students, flexible scheduling, no lesson preparation

Cons

Extremely low hourly rate, no room for growth, dismissive management, unstable income

Light hearted environment

This is a very light-hearted environment when you're working and you are able to be successful with the students easily the materials that was provided were very clear and precise I enjoy presenting this material to the students I also enjoy embellishing the material as much as they allow me to

Good step in the door

Pro - If you're a native English speaker entering the ESL world, EF is a great start. You'll get lots of varied experiences. Cons - Pay won't be high.

Great graduate job

Great for a recent graduate, great way to make extra income . May be dismissed for no reason without explanation so keep that in mind. Be always on the look out

Great place to work for first time international teachers

Committed to employee success. Supportive of international teachers. Made them feel welcome and helped tremendously with helping international teachers get acclimated-- socially and professionally. Visas were quick and al the work was done for you.

Pros

Respect, Career advancement, great team building events

Cons

Friday night/ Saturday morning work

Flexible, but low pay & inconsistent scheduling

I worked as an Online ESL Teacher for a couple of years. I enjoyed it because it allowed flexibility. But the pay was too low, scheduling was too inconsistent, and some of the students were not the nicest. Towards the end it was so hard to get classes and I was not making any money and because I didn’t reach a certain amount of hours they tried to drop my pay to what I was making when I first started, so I had to drop them.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Low pay, inconsistent scheduling

Great ESL experience

I worked for several ESL companies teaching children in China. EF was the best. The onboarding experience was thorough, so I had a good grasp of how to operate the website from day one. The students were great,too.

This is a very fun and rewarding job. I look forward to teaching each day.

This is an excellent company to work for. The students are so kind and friendly, and I can tell that I am making a difference in their lives, and in their education.

Pros

Friendly staff, and students.

Cons

Early morning shifts

Can be as rewarding as you want it to be.

The is company is a good stepping stone if you want to move on to other companies or schools in China. Otherwise moving up can take a lot of time and be dependent upon your DOS or other factors. If you’re looking to just do a one year contract this job is great for you although it may be a bit longer of a process now due to the pandemic.

Pros

You get lots of teaching experience and a chance to see another China.

Cons

Workplace culture might suck and really depends on the other teachers working with you.

Fun place to teach kids English

Good curriculum. Liked teaching the students..some things could be unpredictable. Enjoyed the flexibility of the schedule and helping kids to learn a new language

Great Summer Job

I worked at the summer school at EF Dublin. It was a great experience for me as it was my first in-person teaching experience. The training was extremely helpful and thorough.Management was always a little disorganised due to last-minute changes but they always stayed calm under pressure and kept the teachers up to date with new students and changes to classes as soon as they could.I felt supported by the Academic Manager in my training prior to teaching and in my observations which helped me improve my teaching skills.

Pros

Skills development, friendly colleagues

Cons

1 day off per week, Teachers must work as Activities Leader one day per weekend

Not a good company to work for!

This company pays less than minimum wage, but requires a degree plus certifications! The students are rude and often don’t show up. The managers treat employees like indentured servants! They are making a lot of money, but pay the teachers very little. What a terrible company!

Currently it's difficult to get visas to China.

The company is great but they don't tell you a lot of information. They like to keep you in the dark until the last possible minute. If you can get out there it's fantastic. That does also depend on the franchise you get and the ratio of foreigners to locals

Great Company

I have been working for EF for a little over three years now. I love the company and have always had a full schedule. The class material is provided. The pay is fair. I work for EF Kids. However, this position will be closing in March. The adult classes are still available.

Pros

Great Company

Cons

Kids classes are closing

A good starter job for teaching abroad

They are very supportive of the process of getting there and finding an apartment. Very helpful and pay/reimburse most of those costs. The ongoing training is good and the regular session curriculum is good. The company tries to create a fun youthful energetic culture. The local teachers are usually very supportive and happy to help if you have a language barrier problem, like communicating with a delivery driver. I was able to make a lot of lifelong friends.The pay is dismal but the benifits arent bad. The process for moving up is clear but you have to be a company man to get to a real career position. Upper management's problem solving approach is usually along the lines of telling everyone there is no problem. The sales team makes a lot of counterproductive decisions to make customers happy that arent in the best interest of the kids (moving a kid to a class thats too hard for them because their schoolmate from the same grade is there)Overall, if you are going to teach abroad, its a decent job for a year and then you can get a higher paying job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at EF Education First. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• EF Education First
  • English As A Second Language Teacher
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?