EF Education First

English Teacher138 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Found 138 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,111 reviews

Fun work environment

The teachers were all really helpful and everyone got along well with each other. It was one of those workplaces where it was just great to work. The management was good and the school had good benefits for the staff. Also, there were regular PDs for teachers to help us improve our skills so that we could provide better classes.

Decent place to work

Team leaders are helpful. There is clear communication about any issues. Management is approachable. The pay is decent if you work weekends and there is room for growth.

Run from this job and company

Workdays involved bratty students, watching teachers cry, leave, or simply quit. Write-ups for attitude because “customer service” is a priority over classroom management.Local Management had no ability to make meaningful changes. BIG company parties with lavish bars and food. Teachers earn very low wages. You’re lucky if your campus has a Union. Laughable PTO. Benefits apply to very few teachers. 401k matching is 25% - of your already dismal wage, so good luck saving anything. Terrible prep time (15 minutes/block). No Learning management system.No American English version of the textbooks, so we used British books. Their "Flagship" campus formed a Union and then everyone got laid off “due to the pandemic” This company is deplorable and the CEO should be ashamed to call this an educational institution.

Pros

Lunch discount, you can leave for 3 months of unpaid time off and return

Cons

Compensation, prep time, work culture of “family” until you ask for a raise.

Nice gig while it lasted

The pay was not too bad; okay if you could get all the bonuses. Platform generally worked well. Company quite proactive in notifying teachers of any platform problems or changes in policy, etc. Payment on time and accurate; no hassles. Teaching materials somewhat underwhelming, rather repetitive, and some activities based on dubious pedagogical principles. That said, the lessons were ready and no prep needed. The kids were lovely to work with. Change in Chinese governmental policy forced EF to close down the remote portion of its business there; though the brick-n-mortar schools still open, I think. But they gave us several months' warning, so that was ok.

Poor salary

Poor salary, everywhere in the world, but the students are usually nice, a part from teenagers. A day at a work is like every school in the summer, busy.

Online teaching mediocre but short lived

Unfortunately the Chinese government regulations changed so online teachers lost their jobs. It was a simple enough job. Could be a bit isolating as you work alone but very hit and miss with the kids you taught.

Good for a student but not for your career

-Not very flexible and worked weekends. Management are really helpful but no workplace culture at all. Meeting people all over the globe is definitely interesting.

Productive and fun place to work.

I loved working there.I learned so much and it was a great work environment.Management always encouraged teachers to be the best.One of the best companies to work for.

Pros

Always learning and development for teachers

Cons

Not enough leave

Great side job while it lasted.

Worked with young learners at early hours in the morning. Program was well run and easy to use. The management would respond quickly and pay was competitive.

Although it came to an end, this was a fantastic job and the people were too. I really can't say anything bad about this company.

I taught students English and loved doing it. The supporting staff was awesome and always there is you needed them. It is a great company to work for and teaching is amazing.

Limited advancement and weird management practices

The work is fine, the students are really fun and eager to work . There is no HR, management is not clued in on best practice and could care less. Management is synonymous with threatening. You are a nameless teacher and your needs and concerns will not be addressed. The company does not give references as they have not idea who anyone is nor care to know. In addition, I am pretty sure the 4 star reviews on here are created by management. To earn a quality salary you must work weekends, nights and public holidays. Annual leave is refused based on how management feels.

Pros

- well it's a salary

Cons

- lack of work life balance and no advancement whatsoever

Passive-aggressive managers, unsatisfactory breaks, emphasis on superficial nonsense rather than educational values.

The relocation of EF Executive courses to Hills road has been a disaster for teachers and students alike: Breaks down from 20 mins to 10; lunch down from 1 hour to 40mins; unpaid meetings during breaks; cuts in activity payments; 3 hour training sessions, with dubious relevance to teaching, on Friday afternoons (which is absolutely contrary to the prevailing wisdom regarding wellbeing in the workplace and work-life balance).Inept, passive-aggressive top management.

Pros

All the cake and balloons you can eat.

Cons

Inept, passive-aggressive top management.

Good place to start in ESL but don't stay long

Terrible company to work for, only care about the money. Don't care at all about their staff or students. It is however a good way to get into ESL teaching abroad as they do offer a fantastic teacher training program

The students are extremely polite.

My typical day starts at 6:00am. I teach four students for twenty-five minutes.I learn how to manage my time to ensure I log on and off quickly.The workplace culture was extremely relaxing. The students and parents were nice.The hardest part of the job was making sure my Internet did not go out due to storms. The most enjoyable part was teaching the students.

Pros

Excellent students

Cons

The working hours are too early

Easy and convenient with flexible hours

You are not treated as a human being but a number. Disposable at will. There is no room for professional development. Observations are random and they will constitute an opinion of “overall performance” from as little as 5 isolated incidents. I was callously dropped after 2 years hard work and keeping well within KPIs with high student satisfaction after being given positive feedback. They focus on numbers and strict policy guidelines. Say if you have a late grade even in the entirety of one year they will use this as an excuse. Despite their long disciplinary procedure they have the right to dismiss you at the end of your contract for whatever reason they decide. This company may well be struggling as they have frozen their pay at £9.50 an hour. Do not expect any advances or professional feedback. You might get constructive feedback once in the entirety of a year unless you ask. And they do not communicate by phone. Email only. Expect employment for a year but be prepared to be dropped at the end.

Pros

Brilliant organisation and clear tools. Nice students. Very useful platform for beginners.

Cons

Communication is often skewed. You need to flag everything or they’ll hold it against you

I have enjoyed my time working for EF Kids and wish it could continue.

EF Kids is the best online teaching company I have worked for due to a combination of pay, flexible scheduling and support from management. If it wasn't for the changes in China's policies, I would work here indefinitely.

Pros

Flexible Schedule and Good Communication from Support

Cons

Exploitive salary and toxic management

You will be forced to work EVERY saturday and sunday Teach 8 classes back to back (which means 9 hours at work)resulting in working a ridiculous 180 hrs a month you also have to do writing corrections ( unpaid ) flat management structure ( everything is taken personally , you have to practically beg for leave or get hounded when on sick leave

Pros

nothing

Cons

forced weekend shifts, very low pay, toxic management

Excellent company in spite of setbacks

I have been working at EF Education First for two years, teaching private English lessons to Chinese kids. I work maybe 15-20 hours a week, very early in the morning. By 8 or 9 a.m., I'm finished and then I have my whole day ahead of me. I do have a day job (Commercial Real Estate) but that, too, is self paced.The only problem is, through no fault of its own, EF is exiting the online-English business in China. The Chinese Government has just instituted strict rules about when and how their students are taught.This was a great little gig, and I'm sorry to see it end.

Pros

Great hours.

Horrible Pay and Benefits, Management treats you poorly, and Everyone is disposable

This company does not value its employees. It seems that EF has a manufactured sense of teaching in which everything is super rehearsed and robotic. EF does not allow you to advance or even have your own career as a freelance English teacher. The management expects you to do all their cookie cutter activities to score points and win a contract renewal. Beyond that, the pay is abysmal and you have no motivation to keep improving with the company. Furthermore, employees can be let go and not have a contract renewal without a strong reason given. This company should be avoided like the plague.

Pros

The flexibility

Cons

Horrible pay, management that doesn't care about teachers, lack of communication

Rite du Passage

Don't be mislead by my star review IF you want a work-vacation. Really awesome company whom left me with little more than I began a year after assumed employment. Recruitment was awesome, and offered outstanding help to get me abroad. (During COVID-19 lockdown.)I have worked in TEFL for 5 years prior and education for nearly twenty.Once I got to China, and settled into my apartment I was let go from the center before my probation ended. The reason for this was ambiguously, "a couple of concerns" those being my uniform wasn't on in the staff room not once, but twice! I was late for the check-up meeting scheduled after lunch. I was told in the style-guide to wear khakis or black pants, and I signed a contract that stated I must dress professionally. I meditate after eating, and so I was 5 minutes late.Someone else had reviewed that management is young and brash, and I concur. The local management was micro(management) and thoughtless during China's transition from for-profit training centers to non-profit.I can't recommend this job for those of you who suffer context blindness, because it isn't straight forward IMHO. Show me a little trust.

Pros

Respectable corporate

Cons

Thorough training

Wonderful flexibility great pay if you work during the peak hours.

I have been with you EF education first for the past couple years and I absolutely love how it fits with my schedule. Lots of flexibility to earn as much as you want. A real pleasure teaching the children in China.

Pros

Flexibility, good pay, pleasant working with families and their children.

Cons

Very early morning hours. Job ends by 9 AM during non daylight savings time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at EF Education First. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• EF Education First