EF Education First

3.5Work–Life Balance
3.1Pay & Benefits

Found 31 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,086 reviews

Fun work place

Good management, nice location.Accommodation provided not the bestGood company to work for overall. Management are friendly and will try to find solutions to any issues you have.

Pros

Free lunches for the summer

Cons

fairly low pay- not very flexible

Good to gaining experience

Great for gaining experience, unfair pay and long hours . The work gets repetitive over time and no proper communication between management and freelancers

Flexible working hours, but basic pay

I am a postgraduate student and prior to that I was travelling, so this job has great flexibility for me to fit around my studies and active lifestyle.Your students rate your classes out of 5 and you receive a bonus each month if you achieve a certain average. This however, is still a living wage level amount.HR is supportive, polite and accommodating.Some great tips that come out of newsletters emailed to you, conferences are offered for connection building, CPD and a sense of community and you have a chance to build a rapport with students and get regulars.Advancement is not easily achievable, I have received only a £0.50 per hour pay raise since working for this company in the last 2 years. When I joined there was promise of advancing to +£2 per hour after 2 years as a 'senior tutor', but we have since been informed of a wage freeze so I have no current prospect of advancement.

Pros

Flexible schedule, good workplace culture, teaching resources provided.

Cons

Low pay rates.

Supply good resources, but pay is minimal

I worked here for 2.5 years in Suzhou China. Before the pandemic it was a rough place to work as they paid less than other training centers but made you work a lot more. However during and after the pandemic it was great as they were forced to compensate employees correctly. If you have a teaching license, go to a school. If not then this is a good place to start working

Pros

Stable income

Cons

Starting pay is low

Fun workplace

EF online is a great stepping stone for those who wish to start teaching online. The salary for freelance online teachers is probably for someone who already has a full time job and looking to make passive income.

Pros

Work-life balance

Cons

salary is not enough

Overall satisfied

The pay is fair, although you have to teach a lot of lessons to make any kind of real money. It can be exhausting at time because your essentially "on stage". Good work life balance and good flexibility on the weekends.

Flexible and fun

You talk to people from all over the world and help them achieve their goal of English language skills. The pay is low and there really isn't any way to advance.

Pros

Working with students that are mostly wonderful

Cons

The pay is not living wage, so really only a supplemental job

Great place to start

Really great place if you're just getting started with teaching English as a second language - hours are pretty flexible, pay leaves a bit to be desired and no benefits.

A good company to start with and to gain experience, you will meet interesting students from all over the world and you can have a flexible schedule.

This is an online job as an ESL teacher. The schedule is flexible and I can choose my hours. It's very convenient for those reasons. The cons are when you are not assigned as many hours as you'd like and they don't explain more than a drop in student demand for classes, also when you have a student no show you have to wait 15 minutes and receive only 0.4 of your salary..this can be very frustrating.

Pros

flexible hours

Cons

student no shows

respect teachers

I love working at EF because of it's amazing students and careful attention to the teachers' needs. If you get sick you can just sub out of your classes and not teach that day. However the material for the group lesson classes can be repetitive and boring to teach after a while. If the student cancels or doesn't show up to class, you are not pay for the full amount even though it was the student who didn't show up.

Pros

nice students, good communication with teachers, fixed or flexible schedule

Cons

lower pay then other companies, not paid for cancelation, can be boring sometimes

I really like the work flexibility and quality of students

I enjoy the work environment and flexibility. I always have a growth mindset. I wish the pay was better and I wish there was more career development for employees.

Pros

Nice work flexibility

Cons

Low salary

Decent First Start

The company has great potential but in my experience, there was a lack of communication that overshadowed the potential for understanding and growth. It is a very nice company, but many opportunities at the moment are abroad. If you are looking for something abroad, this may be the company for you.

Pros

Remote Opportunity

Cons

No healthcare, no benefits as a self Contractor Teacher

No opprtunity. You are classified as freelance but you are an employee

Work-life balanceWork-life balance at EF Education First is awful. You have to work tons of hours to make minimum wage. Students often cancel or don't show with little to no compensationPay & benefitsMy pay and benefits at EF Education First were terrible. They find ways to cut your payManagementConstant change in management

Very Flexible

English First Is a great place to work if you are looking for some extra money or do not need a full-time job. I teach from 5:00 to 8:00 AM (CST) I also work Friday and Saturday nights. YOU ARE TOTALLY IN CONTROL OF YOUR SCHEDULE but it is during the Peak Bejing Times.

Pros

Flexible Work from Home

Cons

No raises Contract Employee

No career growth

Very difficult to work. No transparency. I don't know who I am reporting to. They expect us to work overtime and don't appreciate. The messages we recieve on the mails are mostly about doing more work or extra hours. No chance to interact with colleagues so I don't know what is happening with the others.

Pros

No pros, except that timings are flexible.

Cons

No bonus, no growth, salary is a little more than what I pay my maid

I don't recommend working here

I was treated appallingly . The worst part is the pay which was £8.50 per hour which is nothing. It isn't worth it and to be treated like nothing by the staff, too. I recommend working elsewhere.

Pros

Cons

Low pay. Poor culture.

Official response from EF Education First

11 November 2019
EF does not tolerate harassment of any kind in the workplace. If you feel that you have been a victim of harassment, please contact our compliance team at compliance@ef.com so that a fair and thorough investigation can take place. Best regards.

Good staff development

A typical day at work involves teaching 5 fifty-minute classes to groups of adult learners at various stages of English knowledge. Training that I have received and given helps to improve areas of teaching such as classroom management, facilitating group interaction and grammar knowledge. The workplace culture is positive an hardworking. Teaching has been extremely rewarding as I have helped many students overcome their difficulties learning English. There are few negatives to the job but higher salary/more annual leave would be nice.

Great job, flexible pay

This is a good job when you are starting the online teaching industry. However the pay is low. You do NOT make $19.00/hr. Even with bonuses. I love the job, management is easy to work with and you are flexible to make and change your own schedule. You work in group classes or one on one and I have never had a problem scheduling classes. (outside of holidays.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

low pay

If you care about teaching, do NOT accept a job here

This place is the worst of for-profit education models. They've got a beautiful piece of real estate in Fisherman's Wharf, with floor-to-ceiling windows, hi-tech computer labs, and foosball tables. Their students pay thousands of dollars to attend classes at this beautiful school and live in San Francisco. (Their housing, by the way, is usually in remote or run down parts of the city. Students complain all the time, both to teachers and to management. As far as I know nothing changes). They pay their teachers poorly, barely above minimum wage for teaching time, and prep time is at minimum wage and actual countable prep hours are very limited. No benefits or job security. The CEO, meanwhile, is a billionaire. Management is disorganized, frequently juggling multiple student or teacher complaints/issues at once, and generally unclear about expectations. No support or structure here. At best, I felt overlooked. At worst, I felt exploited. I saw the bad reviews for this position and thought, how bad could it really be? There are always bad reviews for jobs online from that one person who disagreed with their manager, had a bad experience one time, etc. I don't usually write reviews for my past employers, good or bad, because I believe everyone's experience is unique and job descriptions/interviews give the best sense of whether you think a position is right for you. But I feel compelled to write this one: if you care abousteer clear of this unscrupulous company. They won't tell you this, but it's an open secret that their teachers quit all the time. People disappeared after -

misleading

Their training upon arrival is sub-optimal and their settlement help is abysmal. Don't bother going for summer teaching because the 'bonus' isn't guaranteed. Especially if you are going to be living in Shanghai be sure to look elsewhere for better paying opportunities or go to a third tier city so you can make your money go farther.

Pros

you get to China

Cons

you get paid the same no matter what tier city it is so be careful

Great summer job

A great summer job. Not too tiering, often quite fun. A very relaxed place to work but the management was so unorganised and the company is very profit orientated. Sometimes it was boring as you'd be teaching the same lesson all day to different classes.

Pros

Pay, some free stuff, sometimes you get free snacks, free excursions for staff, weekly staff socials, opportunity for overtime with activities, most of the children are great to work with

Cons

You have to teach from the EF course book which is really boring and tedious, the management is a mess and disorganised, the management also don't seem to care that much