Emergent Biosolutions
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Emergent Biosolutions Employee Reviews

required to work hard and always be available - after hours, weekends and during vacations.
people who rose within the organization tended to be individuals who were not in tune with what was going on within the organization
A lot of favoritism not a long term job mostly women who work there which means drama. If your a temp the only way you will get hired is to have your head up somebody in management Butt. Not a good place for a good hard working person to work. Just look at the turn over rate
Management at the Rockville, MD site shows a lot of favoritism toward individual employees. No matter how often you go above and beyond expectations within your scope of work, they still disregard your accomplishments. The maintenance supervisor is a very toxic individual and does very little to hide it. Working for Emergent can give you excellent work experience, but I don't recommend working there long term unless you're buddies with someone in management.
Coworkers were amazing, we covered each other as needed without even having to ask twice and it was a fun place to work WITH MY Coworkers!

Mid level management is the epitome of clueless with absolutely NO REAL experience.
People who have been with the company a long time only are valued and promoted whether they deserve it or not. If you are interesting in moving forward in your career I would not recommend going to this company unless you are going in at a management level that way you have built in credibility walking in the door otherwise they do not value prior outside experience or education. There are many high school educated people in management jobs and people who have only worked at Emergent that have done nothing else in their careers that think they know what they are doing but they don't. Old facilities bad work environment, little room for advancement, a good company if you plan on never moving up or making more money there is very limited growth potential. HR is lazy and arrogant and has delusions of grandeur. There are a lot of nice people there but it is just a small company trying to become big but is stuck in a good old boy management system.
Great opportuity to try new skills and roles, but once you show you can do it well and quickly, it becomes the expectation. Going above and beyond is expected and not rewarded. Leaders are like a boys club and gossip about confidential matters.
I had my work experience for my college course at Emergent Biosolutions. I learned a lot from the IT team there and value the experience that I acquired there.
Worked on meaningful projects. The full-time employees were quite disgruntled in our group. Were a lot of layoffs after my departure. Campus environment and other colleagues were great and willing to support.
I worked at the one in Lansing Michigan! It was horrible, they had little employment so it fell on the rest of the people in the animal care lab to get the work done. We had long hours, weekends off (rotation) but you were so tired on the weekends, all you could do was sleep. They let me go because I was sick and didn’t want to pay for a respirator, that’s medical discrimination! I plan to sue!
Very good company to work. Job security is there but too much busy. Sometime maintaining work/life balance is tough. Giving back to the community make you feel good.
This company supports Family work life balance. Upper management supports employees growth and development at all levels of the company, Low stress environment and positive Culture.
Emergent is a very hard and physical demanding job, you should always be open and involve yourself in activities. After recent decline in testing it was a lot more complex, and management took a downfall.
It was a fast paced, execting environment with enough mentors and walking examples that can show you the culture and expectations. Upper mgmt were as transparent as they could reasonably be, and held regular meetings to explain the plans and and finiancial goals regularly. Much was expected at times but was a human place to work with some flexibility. The best part of the job was knowing your work could preserve life.
Overall my personal experience has been pretty good. I work with a decent group of individuals, i have a flexible schedule, on site gym, security, cafeteria, and management tries to be accommodating. Its not perfect but i have been to worse.
Cons
HR could be more efficient
Got opportunity to purchase new state of the art equipment and validate and implement for routine use. It is good to work for Emergent. I was given the opportunity to set up lab for MicroCount equipment for microbial count and ID.
When you working with company as a contractor-you are exactly that "A Contractor" when the contract ends, that is when your search for a stable position begins. -CONTRACT WORK WITH THIS COMPANY IS "NOT" GUARANTEED!! In short-Contractors are not hired.
This place will burn you out quickly. If the long hours and weekends don't kill you the lack of appreciation will. Look elsewhere!

The company promises good "culture" and benefits such as Friday hours but the majority of the employees in my department (the ones that actually work) never get to enjoy many benefits.

Management promotes idiots who have no prior experience.
fast paced, always challenging. Some great people, moving towards matrix business unit structure which makes roles and responsibilities murky at times. Get to wear a ton of hats and learn on multiple fronts of business if motivated.
Pros
good culture, strong mission, successful M&A/integration strategy
Cons
sometimes unrealistic expectations
The work environment is toxic, poor management. There is no room for advancement. Long hours most of the time you could be just sitting around waiting for work.
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
Poor management, favoritism, a lot of down time
There is no room for growth, this place works well with underachievers. You literally have to have no ambition to work here. Strong minded individuals run away they do not like a challenge or to be held accountable for their actions or lack of actions. Leaders are in position that should never be put into that position. Favoritism is a trend with this company, if they like you you’ll be fine if not well goodbye. Stay away from this place it’s a real nightmare. I am warning you please use caution so many people have left and or quit. No real structure or organization. They come to work just to sit and watch videos on YouTube and look at clothes online. The managers do not check on you at all. There is no structure or guaidance.
Cons
Stressful, underpaid, favoritism, lack of work, lack of growth, lack of stability.
When I started at Emergent it was a relaxed fun place to work, WE worked diligently and effectively . As the company grow the morale would take a hit now and then. Management styles changed some to the good some to the bad
Pros
Benefits, vacation time
Cons
over-stressed at times
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Emergent Biosolutions. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7