Farmers Trading Company
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Farmers Trading Company Employee Reviews

New Zealand71 reviews
I've always found Farmers to have a pretty good range of products and I was excited to work in a place I'd personally shop from. What I found from my very first day though, was that there was a lack of communication and overall support from management. I have stayed with the company for just over a year, but I wouldn't say there are many benefits. Other than making some money and gaining experience, the only thing that has kept me around are the friends that I've made there. The company couldn't hire any more people, meaning the workload was heavy, but other things such as our health and well-being were overlooked. While the job as a Sales/Service Assistant is alright, it's the workload that took me by surprise, and the way that we're treated unfairly that makes it the opposite of fun.
Pros
Good colleagues, mid-range products, staff exclusive sales
Cons
Bad management, workplace bullying, heavy workload
I have mixed feelings of working for farmers, I loved working with the staff and customers, but felt underpaid and low staff numbers so was always very stretched which became quite stressful.
Pros
Customers and staff
Cons
Pay rates
Unfortunately farmers is not the workplace it appears to be, and there are multiple issues within the company most prominently the issues regarding salary and management. To start with the salary is depressing; sales persons will only have an hourly rate of minimum wage when they begin and there is no commission despite making the company onwards of $25,000 in sales per day... seriously even 0.5% commission per sale would suffice and would barely make a dent in the pockets of this greedy company. Management are shocking and run off power play - simple tasks like refunding a faulty item to a Eftpos card can only be performed by a manager making staff feel incompetent. If managers were doing there jobs properly they would look to resolve the toxic and nasty bullying culture within the store, but they won’t because they are apart of the problem. The only perks of the job is that the work is not challenging at all and the hours accomodate to the likes of students that only require around 10 hours work per week.
Overall a great place to work and would recommend to friends or family to apply for roles that they wish to develop in. Farmers do well with creating extra personal progression in various systems and procedures.
selling is the main thing that you are constantly told, be polite to customers at all times, do not like you having to have personal appointments eg doctors during work hours, but you have no say in when the doctor etc is free.
Not a great place to work for very stressful & had to work with incompetent managers. Pay was depressing for those who had worked there for 15 years+.
Great working conditions
Lots of learning

High Health and safety awareness

Good management

Very good system reduce mistakes and avoid misconduct

Farmers your department stor
hello, I worked here for my gateway at selywn college. amazing place to work at :) will be looking forward to working here again some day if possible.
varies from day to day
enhances customer service, cash handling etc

stressful because we are often under staffed

when fitting room is full and there is only 1 staff to attend to customers

break time when 1 is able to relax for awhile
Enjoy my work environment and am challenged in my role as Assistant store manager however feel that entering my 20th year with the company I need to experience and push myself in a new work environment and company.
Staff are nice people to work with, however, the Minority of Management just ruined my whole experience. After 16yrs, there was no respect for my knowledge. The Company taught me a lot, which all went down the tubes because of a few members of management.
I Have loved my time working in Special Eye consultant for 2yrs and promoted to work Clarins Counter Manager .I am really proud of my successful events and meeting sales target that our store one of the top ten Sales for Clarins.With the support of our Cosmetic Manager and Store Manager. But time has changed to leaved company because
i have job offer Clarins Melbourne .
Farmers has taught me a lot of things. Consistency and paying attention to detail are one of the most important things I have learned there.

Management there is very friendly and effective. Manager are always ready to help you with any customer difficulties. Plus once you have reached store target you get many benefits reached
Being with the company so many years they never promote you to any positions but they hired people from overseas there is no such thing work from ground up anymore our hours been cut down still fighting for leaving wages
No appreciation for team no recognition for anyone and a hole lot of terribly handled situations that could have easily been avoided. Not good enough to be a manager but good enough to train all the new ones hired externally. Too many secrets and when you find out it's most likely no longer relevant as yet another policy has been handed down to contradict 5 other core policies that had no relevance either. Some really awesome people yet the good ones are always expected to do more and the slackers are just left to their own devices
FTC seems to have lost it's way recently ( 2 - 5 yrs). Training for new, existing employees and Management is extremely poor. Everything is focused on sales, and staff's state of mind/health & feelings are not a priority.
Pros
Cons
Lack of Training for new, existing & Management Team Members
Great work/life balance
Not looking to update or advance any initiatives or processes/systems like most major retailers... stuck in their old ways

Management is great and will support you in all decisions

Development of skills is not a strong suit of Farmers
A great place to work, good working culture, great people that make it a fun place to work.
There are some days that can be very hectic but overall there's a good work balance and team support.
Awesome atmosphere with friendly knowledgeable people to learn from.
As mentioned, a very family orientated company being a family store.

Great product with new fashion and styles coming through all the time.
A typical day at work would involve lots of customer service and tidying the shop. I learned lots about products and management were very friendly and understanding of everyone's needs. The culture of the workplace was very family-like and everyone felt at home. The hardest part of the job was trying to stay productive so most of the shift would be very long. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the satisfaction of the customer when you genuinely help them find what they are in need of and giving them a pleasant experience.
Pros
Nice workmates, staff discount
Cons
Minimum Pay, Not very productive
I have sent many requests for work in this field and always repeat it because I love this work and I love migration and know new traditions and other bans