Farmers Trading Company
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Farmers Trading Company Pay & Benefits reviews

New Zealand71 reviews
I've always found Farmers to have a pretty good range of products and I was excited to work in a place I'd personally shop from. What I found from my very first day though, was that there was a lack of communication and overall support from management. I have stayed with the company for just over a year, but I wouldn't say there are many benefits. Other than making some money and gaining experience, the only thing that has kept me around are the friends that I've made there. The company couldn't hire any more people, meaning the workload was heavy, but other things such as our health and well-being were overlooked. While the job as a Sales/Service Assistant is alright, it's the workload that took me by surprise, and the way that we're treated unfairly that makes it the opposite of fun.
Pros
Good colleagues, mid-range products, staff exclusive sales
Cons
Bad management, workplace bullying, heavy workload
Unfortunately farmers is not the workplace it appears to be, and there are multiple issues within the company most prominently the issues regarding salary and management. To start with the salary is depressing; sales persons will only have an hourly rate of minimum wage when they begin and there is no commission despite making the company onwards of $25,000 in sales per day... seriously even 0.5% commission per sale would suffice and would barely make a dent in the pockets of this greedy company. Management are shocking and run off power play - simple tasks like refunding a faulty item to a Eftpos card can only be performed by a manager making staff feel incompetent. If managers were doing there jobs properly they would look to resolve the toxic and nasty bullying culture within the store, but they won’t because they are apart of the problem. The only perks of the job is that the work is not challenging at all and the hours accomodate to the likes of students that only require around 10 hours work per week.
Farmers has taught me a lot of things. Consistency and paying attention to detail are one of the most important things I have learned there.

Management there is very friendly and effective. Manager are always ready to help you with any customer difficulties.
Plus once you have reached store target you get many benefits reached
A good place to begin working but if you want to further yourself it is not possible. A great company to gain work experience and expand on Logistics
Pros
Barbecues and free doughnuts twice a year
Cons
Shift work but no overtime rate of pay.
Being my first Job, everything was new to me and everything was good. i.e:

People

Cafeteria

Car park

Money

Holidays

Hardest part of my job was having to leave
Pros
Cafetria, Discounts, people
helpful staff
fun work environment

free lunches

outings with co workers

birthday card with wishes from all staff

weekly meetings

learn about new product
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Farmers was a great place for me to work while I was studying for my Bachelor's degree. Easy to pick up extra shifts if you had too in different departments which gave you more money and even better more knowledge in the department you were placed in. I have enjoyed working with all my co-workers and this made it easier for me to form friendships and connections. At the beginning there were a lot of training days available to prepare us for the role, we could go to any manager about attending these workshops and was not difficult at all. The hardest part of the job is dealing with new managers coming and going through the business, with that they bring their own style of doing things and this can go either way with staff. I would say a great place to work part time but not so much full time and definitely not enough to live off or raise a family on, which is a shame with the huge reputation farmers has.
Pros
work lunches, staff discount days, flexible hours
Cons
New managers frequently
Even a small/medium sized Farmers like Pakuranga was a busy place to work. There were the constant promotions, the large and varied staff, and seven days regular trading.
A typical day would start with a floor walk, and checking any coms from head office relating to your department. From this work was assigned to staff, or dealt with personally as required.

Farmers has a comprehensive training program with day courses run out of head office.

The Store Managers and Retail Managers were all good, hard working and motivating.

I really enjoyed my time at Pakuranga, the staff were excellent, really friendly, welcoming and made the job what it was.

However, the hours at 45 hrs per week minimum, could make for long weeks on a salary. It could be hard to work a 16 hour day and know your pay packet wasn't going to be any different at the end of the month.
One great thing was only working one weekend in three.

The team at Pakuranga was what made it enjoyable. The store had developed a really nice, friendly and open environment, which along with the busy workload, made the days go by pretty quickly.
Pros
Very friendly and welcoming team
Cons
12-16 hour days on a salary
After working for Farmers- The team are really helpful and we work as a team. Great staff benefits and discounts at other stores. Great to be able to work with a huge range of customers both male and female, mature and youth.
Pros
friendly staff, discounts, flexible work hours, customer service experience.
Cons
not enough staff.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Farmers Trading Company?