Fonterra
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Fonterra Employee Reviews

New Zealand129 reviews
Overall a very good factory to work. seasonal work. so 10%of laborers are temporary. Difficult to become a permanent employee even after one year.!2 hrs is too long for physical work since it is fast-paced work.
Pros
Moderate wage
Cons
12 Hrs shift
A typical day at work sometimes hard going but some times pretty good and sometimes the pressure was a little intense when things went wrong they went wrong without that pressure the job would have been really great environment to work in,experienced a lot technology was certainly there and then some when you couldn't figure it out it was a little to quite a bit too much but the people you worked with was awesome
Pros
free lunches sometimes you got things for free perks of the job
Cons
possibly when I lost my job it didn't end up well then
Great team to work with, learnt a lot of new tools, got very tech savy, always something to do which was what I like.
Got to do a range of work which made the day feel like it went quick.

Good boss.

A nice environment to work in. Felt comfortable to ask questions about stuff I was unsure about.

Positive outcome
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Pay
Good company to work for. Long hours and shift work difficult after almost 30 years. Team work necessary. Work environment adequate. Safety awareness priority.
Adequate breaks

Great remuneration

Friendly culture- team work

Productive teams

Great work flow

Gym on site

Qualified nurse and physiotherapist on site
Role comes with all the corporate political challenges that large corporate environments unfortunately are burdened with.

Learned a lot with in the company, bit would not recommend joining this large corporate where you are just a number.
Pros
Good people, learn a lot
Cons
Corporate Politics
Fonterra Brands had to be the best job I had working as a process operator. I only had an experience in pick packing and they trained me up so well, not just that staff members were there to help me when i got stuck filling in paper work it was great
Pros
shared lunch or $9.50 voucher for those who did a good deed
Cons
I love working here, its one of those jobs that I am always able to wake up in the morning and be motivated to start the day and put in my hours. :)))
Pros
Hour breaks
Cons
None really.
At fonterra the job is a lie from the add- "better work life balance" No out of a 9 day shift pattern you may get 3 days off one of which you sleep all day. middle day your still a zombie leaving one proper day off out of 9. That's if you aren't called back "call back" in to do your "fair share" of covers.

All the management care about are spread sheets not people. As a tanker driver I drive very tired due to a loop hole in driver hours Fonterra gets you to work 72+ hrs a week due to a 24 hour brake taken between last day and first night shift. But on a plus I can't actually remember being at work last two nights due to severe tiredness.

Fonterra Benifits greatly using sleep deprivation to get a driver to work faster to get home to bed. If you don't rush take your time (as instructed by driver trainer) you are micro managed and constantly called to explain why you finish last ever night. The management remind you you don't have to be here. But most my collages are stuck due to mortgage comitments, and no other well paid jobs around.

The first year was interesting but after that job is boring. No challenges at all. If computer brakes down job becomes interesting due to brain usage.

Your rarelly dealing with customers just farm workers normally resentfull as you get paid twice their salary .

Yes there is a union. Management always brake the union agreement trying to manipulate new workers "temps " who don't know there rights. This culture can only be encouraged from the very top.

I still work at fonterra as a tanker driver but will leave promptly after 5 years
 - more...
Pros
Well paid (due a huge pay rise soon I feel)
Cons
Boring dangerous tiresome
Lacks a bit of culture due to size, but is a good company overall. Great work-life balance, but that is typical of New Zealand. Pays employees for the job/work expected.
Fully recommended the pay is good the company is very helpful would have like to work there longer but as I was only contracted to couple weeks of work been under a agency didnt get offered full employment.
Pros
Certain percent off food from canteen
Cons
Collect your laptop from your locker. FInd a desk. Attend a thrice weekly team meeting. Use Lync to talk to people around the building or in other locations. Meet people at shared desk locations or cafe areas within the building.
Pros
Cafes for meetings
Cons
Hot desking
A typical day at Tip Top. I was always at work early so id help set up which was cool because it gave me self control. I knew where everything was and got savvy with what i had to do and where everything had to go. Asked questions when I had problems and they always got solved. The Operators at Tip Top were AMAZING!! I picked up on so much thanks to them. Most enjoyable part of working there was the environment. Everyone is chilled, likes to talk but remain focused as well. Id go back and work for them again.
I had the pleasure of working with some long timers. They taught me a lot regarding Forklift operations, Loading/unloading of containers. They also taught me how to load in a Marshaling zone, shrink wrap product and how to refuel my own Forkhoise with LPG - gas.

Loved working for Fonterra.
Pros
Fantastic Team
Cons
In 2015 i start working in Fonterra. I like this Job because its timing is good staff is cooperative good pay.
This job has some good points like long hours but some bad points we have to travel store to store some time just stuck in traffic.
Pros
Cons
Traffic
My favourite job!! Had a blast here money was great , loads of benefits that I really enjoyed. They not only look after you but your family as well. My daily job would consist of packing ice cream . Would vary , we'd be in teams of 5,12 and others. THreading ice cream containers or cones into the machines it'll then come through to the other side where another team would pack into boxes or small packaging. Fast pace packing, routine checks and thorough cleaning throughout the factory. Wearing protective gear as well for health and safety
Pros
Excellent pay/free ice cream to eat during work hours
Cons
No fans in factory
interaction with clients . Customer Service skills essential
Upskilling opportunities huge.

Workplace culture fresh ideas and new skills introduced were welcomed by most but however some staff were unhappy with any changes and preferred that things stay the same

I learnt that growth teamwork good communication are all important
Pros
Great hours
Cons
people set in their ways
Is a good stable foundation for someone looking to go far in life and do well...they are very good at up skilling workers to be better at what they do and the super scheme is second to none...
Pros
good money
Cons
shift work, long hours
- Flexible hours
- Activity based work approach (hot desks)

- Challenging environment but many opportunities to move within the business
I enjoyed my 32 years at Tip Top. I left only to start a new life with my wife in Tauranga so took the chance to move on.
If not for another restructure I would still be there.
Pros
People
Cons
Stress and Demands from management.
awesome company to work for paid well it work toward looking after staff better I would recommend to others for sure.its got it all if you like to keep challenging yourself,the dairy industry is 24/7 so shift work for some you get to operate some high tech plants.in a control room you will have team of operators also running high tech operatings.hardest part is 12hr shifts minimal family time there.the most enjoyable is doing what you like doing.
Pros
clean job in dairy
Cons
shift work