Fonterra Employee Reviews

good support to up skill
L5B Packing Operator/L6 Spoc within Dpp2 (Current Employee) –  Whareroa28 January 2017
Is a good stable foundation for someone looking to go far in life and do well...they are very good at up skilling workers to be better at what they do and the super scheme is second to none...
Pros
good money
Cons
shift work, long hours
Productive flexible working environment
Sales Operations Executive (Current Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand11 January 2017
- Flexible hours
- Activity based work approach (hot desks)
- Challenging environment but many opportunities to move within the business
Stable place to work with Great people.
Freezer Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Mt Wellington Auckland10 January 2017
I enjoyed my 32 years at Tip Top. I left only to start a new life with my wife in Tauranga so took the chance to move on.
If not for another restructure I would still be there.
Pros
People
Cons
Stress and Demands from management.
loved the end of year trips away
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Whangarei, Northland20 December 2016
awesome company to work for paid well it work toward looking after staff better I would recommend to others for sure.its got it all if you like to keep challenging yourself,the dairy industry is 24/7 so shift work for some you get to operate some high tech plants.in a control room you will have team of operators also running high tech operatings.hardest part is 12hr shifts minimal family time there.the most enjoyable is doing what you like doing.
Pros
clean job in dairy
Cons
shift work
Physical & Heavy Work
Milk Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, Auckland5 December 2016
As a Milk Merchandiser typical day is visiting the store making sure that all Milk is well displayed and assurance that milk is available. Receiving of stocks being delivered daily and transfer to storage/container chiller and also transferring of milk to display/selling area. Responsible in placing daily order for the store base on the daily inventory and daily sales off-take.

Part of the job is the heavy lifting of an average of 25kg per crate and transferring of stocks using the milk trolley (125kg = 5 crates).

Best part is meeting new people & knowing other culture. Developing good rapport to co-workers and colleague.
Pros
Free uniform
Cons
Heavy lifting
Well paid job
Process Worker (Current Employee) –  Takanini, Auckland12 October 2016
Great job meet good people love the pay but not enough time spent with family as i have 5 kids if it wasnt for the money i would have left awhile ago stable job managers look after you overall good job also my mum is sick so would like to be closer to her
Pros
Great food
Cons
Not enough time with family
Product
SOP Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui4 October 2016
How product is made, especially what can be made from milk. The different products we make as a company, staff benefits on buying the product in which we make.
Pros
The small team in which I worked
Productive and friendly environment
Covering staff for meal breaks (Former Employee) –  Takanini, Auckland4 August 2016
Always helping workers to progress in their career. They put you on courses which include Health & Safety, Forkhoist. They promote a family environment, great place to work.
it was an exciting place to work
Temp (Former Employee) –  Taranaki27 June 2016
I found that working at the fonterra it was fun, I learnt a lot of different things like how to label pellets of milk powder and working along side a train and being able to see how they load up the carriages and how many processes they have to go through just to get the carriages loaded with the right paper work and then send them on there way to there destination, i would say that was the best part being able to learn the full time employees jobs. The hardest part of any job that was to be do was not being considered important and being a drake you sometimes were given the really low jobs and the fonterra employees refused to do i.e cleaning, re-stacking contaminated pallets with either maggots and also a rat infestation. I enjoyed a couple of my managers a few they was really nice.
Pros
meeting a lot of different people and there cultures
Cons
Not been considered as a valued worker in certain areas of fonterra
Engaged workplace.
L7 Supervising Operator (Current Employee) –  Hawera, Taranaki9 June 2016
- Smooth operation of process and documentation of events.

- Learnt that stress is better handled in a calm productive matter, assess and produce an outcome out of the situation.

- Communication, open and documented.

- Various challenges involving process and management of ancillary service knowing that other departments within the factory a reliant on you.

- Working in a work environment where there seems to be some solidarity within the union.
Pros
Competitive salary, strong union.
Cons
Large annual hours, change in company structure.
produtive & great people
Finail product sampler (Current Employee) –  Te Awamutu, Waikato29 April 2016
learn something new every day
supportive team
opportunity to work in different areas
kept motivated
advantages to learn new skills
management always willing & supportive
Pros
good breaks
Productive and fun workplace
Storeperson (Acting Team Leader) (Former Employee) –  Takanini, Auckalnd16 February 2016
It's has been the best job I have worked in my entire life. I would do anything to get back in there and work for the Company.
Pros
Friendly staffs
Cons
Good hours
Enjoyable work environment
Laboratory Administration Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Whareroa12 February 2016
Enjoyed my time at Fonterra, loved the fact they promoted their staff and were willoing to put time and money into ongoing training, Became a trainded facilitator through Fonterra.
A great Company to work for
I have been employed at Fonterra for almost 13 years. The company has allowed me to train and develop my skills in many areas.
Pros
Flexible, work life balance, work with great people
Cons
Unstable, poor management
Overall I enjoyed milking cows, this experience has helped me a lot to understand how a dairy industry works and what farm workers go through everyday
Dairy Farm Hand (Former Employee) –  Whangarei, Northland4 January 2016
I enjoyed my job but their wasn't enough hours, i was only working part-time on weekends for extra cash and hardest part about it was waking up at 4 am other than that it was a good learning experience.
Pros
Having my best-friend do it with me as well/ Being mentally focus
Cons
Waking up early
Good work environment and work ethics.
Data Governance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Takanini, Auckland19 November 2015
In my 13 years working at NZ Dairy Foods Ltd and changed hands to Fonterra Brands NZ Ltd, I have worked with different systems. ORACLE, JDE Edwards and SAP systems. Have seen many changes where many brands have merge into Fonterra Brands NZ Ltd, eg. Mainland Cheese, and Tip Top. Health and Safety is the main part in this industry and enjoyed my time working there.
Pros
Discount on products
Cons
12hr shifts feel like 5hrs!
L4 Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, NZ11 October 2015
Non stop work but never too hard on the body. Always well looked after. Lots of training given and management were always looking to up-skill all of their staff. Brilliant company to work for. If I was not planning on moving back to Christchurch at the time, i would have stayed there for a very long time!
Pros
Salary, training, benefits and job advancement.
Great work environment
Personal Assistant to GM Planning & Scheduling (Current Employee) –  Auckland, N8 October 2015
A great supportive work environment with people from all over the world. Hard working culture with people who enjoy work life balance.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Budget constraints
It was interesting and an awesome learning enviorment
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Mt Wellington, Auckland8 October 2015
Upon arrival, communicated with day shift Team Leaders regarding the days run, maintenance, H&S and anything that needed to be handed on to my team starting their shift.
Took the Daily Manufacturing Schedule meeting before staff commenced the work.
Did the floor walkabout and plant QC checks and covered any issue that needed address on the production lines.
Communicated the plant manager things that need covering.
Entered any H&S events into the register.
Checked the manufacturing plan for tomorrow.
Entered staff hours into payroll system
Checked antisemitism holidays, sickness and so on
more QC and plant checks
attend meetings as required
Process all of the required documentation for our production runs
Send a report to the day shift managers.
Pros
Interesting place to work
Cons
Work load pushed and 8hr day out to 10-12hr days
The workplace
Administrator Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Waitoa30 August 2015
I enjoy working with a supportive team. People are pleasant and everyone works together cohesively as a unit. I have been given the chance to learn new skills and maximise the ones I already have.

The Manager has confidence in my abilities and I can achieve any task that is either big or small. If I am not sure how to tackle it I get advice from the subject matter experts and proceed accordingly.

I am efficient and organised.
Pros
Great team and great job.
Cons
Travelling to Waitoa from Hamilton

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fonterra. Our community is ready to answer.