Fonterra
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Fonterra Employee Reviews

New Zealand129 reviews
Overall a very good factory to work. seasonal work. so 10%of laborers are temporary. Difficult to become a permanent employee even after one year.!2 hrs is too long for physical work since it is fast-paced work.
Pros
Moderate wage
Cons
12 Hrs shift
As a Milk Merchandiser typical day is visiting the store making sure that all Milk is well displayed and assurance that milk is available. Receiving of stocks being delivered daily and transfer to storage/container chiller and also transferring of milk to display/selling area. Responsible in placing daily order for the store base on the daily inventory and daily sales off-take.

Part of the job is the heavy lifting of an average of 25kg per crate and transferring of stocks using the milk trolley (125kg = 5 crates).

Best part is meeting new people & knowing other culture. Developing good rapport to co-workers and colleague.
Pros
Free uniform
Cons
Heavy lifting
Great job meet good people love the pay but not enough time spent with family as i have 5 kids if it wasnt for the money i would have left awhile ago stable job managers look after you overall good job also my mum is sick so would like to be closer to her
Pros
Great food
Cons
Not enough time with family
How product is made, especially what can be made from milk. The different products we make as a company, staff benefits on buying the product in which we make.
Pros
The small team in which I worked
Always helping workers to progress in their career. They put you on courses which include Health & Safety, Forkhoist. They promote a family environment, great place to work.
I found that working at the fonterra it was fun, I learnt a lot of different things like how to label pellets of milk powder and working along side a train and being able to see how they load up the carriages and how many processes they have to go through just to get the carriages loaded with the right paper work and then send them on there way to there destination, i would say that was the best part being able to learn the full time employees jobs. The hardest part of any job that was to be do was not being considered important and being a drake you sometimes were given the really low jobs and the fonterra employees refused to do i.e cleaning, re-stacking contaminated pallets with either maggots and also a rat infestation. I enjoyed a couple of my managers a few they was really nice.
Pros
meeting a lot of different people and there cultures
Cons
Not been considered as a valued worker in certain areas of fonterra
- Smooth operation of process and documentation of events.

- Learnt that stress is better handled in a calm productive matter, assess and produce an outcome out of the situation.

- Communication, open and documented.

- Various challenges involving process and management of ancillary service knowing that other departments within the factory a reliant on you.

- Working in a work environment where there seems to be some solidarity within the union.
Pros
Competitive salary, strong union.
Cons
Large annual hours, change in company structure.
learn something new every day
supportive team

opportunity to work in different areas

kept motivated

advantages to learn new skills

management always willing & supportive
Pros
good breaks
Cons
It's has been the best job I have worked in my entire life. I would do anything to get back in there and work for the Company.
Pros
Friendly staffs
Cons
Good hours
Enjoyed my time at Fonterra, loved the fact they promoted their staff and were willoing to put time and money into ongoing training, Became a trainded facilitator through Fonterra.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Fonterra?
I have been employed at Fonterra for almost 13 years. The company has allowed me to train and develop my skills in many areas.
Pros
Flexible, work life balance, work with great people
Cons
Unstable, poor management
I enjoyed my job but their wasn't enough hours, i was only working part-time on weekends for extra cash and hardest part about it was waking up at 4 am other than that it was a good learning experience.
Pros
Having my best-friend do it with me as well/ Being mentally focus
Cons
Waking up early
In my 13 years working at NZ Dairy Foods Ltd and changed hands to Fonterra Brands NZ Ltd, I have worked with different systems. ORACLE, JDE Edwards and SAP systems. Have seen many changes where many brands have merge into Fonterra Brands NZ Ltd, eg. Mainland Cheese, and Tip Top. Health and Safety is the main part in this industry and enjoyed my time working there.
Pros
Discount on products
Cons
Non stop work but never too hard on the body. Always well looked after. Lots of training given and management were always looking to up-skill all of their staff. Brilliant company to work for. If I was not planning on moving back to Christchurch at the time, i would have stayed there for a very long time!
Pros
Salary, training, benefits and job advancement.
Cons
A great supportive work environment with people from all over the world. Hard working culture with people who enjoy work life balance.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Budget constraints
Upon arrival, communicated with day shift Team Leaders regarding the days run, maintenance, H&S and anything that needed to be handed on to my team starting their shift.
Took the Daily Manufacturing Schedule meeting before staff commenced the work.

Did the floor walkabout and plant QC checks and covered any issue that needed address on the production lines.

Communicated the plant manager things that need covering.

Entered any H&S events into the register.

Checked the manufacturing plan for tomorrow.

Entered staff hours into payroll system

Checked antisemitism holidays, sickness and so on

more QC and plant checks

attend meetings as required

Process all of the required documentation for our production runs

Send a report to the day shift managers.
Pros
Interesting place to work
Cons
Work load pushed and 8hr day out to 10-12hr days
I enjoy working with a supportive team. People are pleasant and everyone works together cohesively as a unit. I have been given the chance to learn new skills and maximise the ones I already have.

The Manager has confidence in my abilities and I can achieve any task that is either big or small. If I am not sure how to tackle it I get advice from the subject matter experts and proceed accordingly.

I am efficient and organised.
Pros
Great team and great job.
Cons
Travelling to Waitoa from Hamilton
Corporate environment as expected but big company values, good team culture with some development opportunities and great products to offer to the market.
Pros
Bonus on performance
Cons
Long Hours
A good place to work at the time with a great salary package. Teamwork was at the forefront of my willingness to work there.
Also an awesome culture of safety in the workplace.

I built lasting friendships there.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Shift Work
I am located at Tip Top, Mt Wellington so you can imagine it's like working for "Willy Wonker and the Chocolate Factory" (except we manufacture Ice Cream). This is a manufacturing sight along with your Administration/Customer Services offices. I see everyone as an individual not as to the job they do. The people here are great and you can have a good laugh!

On the job training happens quite often, keeping everyone up to speed with new products, system updates etc. I currently work with a team of 6 which was at one stage 10 and again is unfortunately dwindling down.
Pros
Free Ice Cream
Cons
Having to walk outside in order to get to the cafeteria
Learn heaps with surport great bunch of people
advantages within company to upskill into different roles

management are always helpful and pass on relevent information
Pros
4 days on 4 days off
Cons
12 hour days