Play YouTube video button

Foodstuffs North Island Employee Reviews

Featured review
Foodstuffs North Island selected this as a representative review
Superb company culture
Senior Commercial Analyst /Contract (Former Employee) –  Auckland New Zealand22 August 2017
Superb company culture, top of the class executive management and team spirit.
That was my entry to retail and fmcg environment and I was pleased that coming from a versatile background I was able to open new dimension for senior management in terms of effective reporting.
Pros
cantine
Time at foodies
Storeman (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland29 August 2019
The work culture is really great as everyone works together as a team. The hardest part was proving yourself and trying your best to take opportunities as every now and than management would hire people who would up skill before me. The most enjoyable part I like about my job was when it gets busy and all you want to do is finish your work before the shift finshes. Team work and satefty was the biggest factor at foodstuffs
Pros
Get monthly awards such as employee of the month and long service.
Cons
Too much favoritism and family members
Great Culture and Balance
Retail Training Program Manager (Former Employee) –  North Island31 May 2019
My management team was fantastic, really supportive. The culture was awesome and a really cooperative. The culture within my team was great. We did some long hours, but I enjoyed my stint with the Foodies Family.
Pros
People
Cons
The change in cafeteria food at Stoddard Road.
Amazing place to work
Internship (Former Employee) –  Auckland22 May 2019
The internship program was an incredible opportunity, and I am so grateful that Foodies has a door open for people that have just come out of uni. I had the most incredible team that I worked with, my manager would set a side lots of time with me to ensure I was learning, growing and developing my professional and interpersonal skills. Great workplace culture, a very relaxed environment but at the same time it feels productive. Lots of support and opportunities, and have lots of events on to keep you engaged.
Pros
Lots of support, great work life balance, supportive management, growth opportunities
Cons
Big company, so can be hard getting to know everyone
Fun workplace
Grocery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland26 April 2019
A great experience filled with lots of amazing challenges that tested me in many different areas of my life. Enjoyed helping customers that were in need of help! Liked to know that I am really helping the community especially as it is such an older area where elderly live.
Pros
Customer satisfaction.
Cons
Loud areas.
Good Place to Work
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Mount Roskill, Auckland25 April 2019
Strong sense of work/life balance and ability to work flexibly.

Great leadership and good management. Clear direction and focus all the way from the CEO to the individual.

Workplace culture is really important in our business and you feel part of something bigger than just yourself. There is a real commitment to the cause and sense that we affect the lives of all NZ'ers.

The Coop environment has its challenges, when you are trying to support 200+ individual owners who all feel they know best. It is not that they don't know what's best for their store, they normally do, but that doesn't always translate to what's best for the group. So trying to get everyone on board to support one direction is tough but really exciting too.
Pros
Free parking, flexible working, great culture
Cons
Location of HQ
this place grows on you!
Leader in People and Capability (Current Employee) –  Auckland23 April 2019
I've been at foodies for nearly three years and to begin with it was tough, challenging but also exciting - that hasn't changed... just evolved - the challenges are more rewarding the the team is fantastic, business is tough and moves at a fast pace, but it is immensely rewarding, seeing the results for your efforts.
Pros
awesome people - lots of laughs
Cons
fast paced
Foodies
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Mount Roskill, Auckland5 December 2018
My role helps set up new owner operators on their Foodies journey.

I look after everything from the initial inquiry right up to board approval. I also support owner operators when they are recruiting new team members in to new build stores. I also recruit roles across our Support Centre.

The culture in my team celebrates self leadership and controlling your own destiny, encourages pushing the rules and constantly asking questions and looking for smarter ways to do things.

Foodies is full of opportunity if you have the drive and ambition to make it happen.
Pros
The people, Free Car parking
Cons
Mt Roskill location - tired office space (but moving to the airport in 2020!)
Good work life balance
Buying & Inventory Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand25 November 2018
Good work life balance. Nice environment to work in. Creative people, creative thinking. Progressive but coming from behind the curve. A few years and they will get there.
Really fun workplace, lots of opportunity to progress
Talent Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mount Roskill, Auckland14 October 2018
Great place to progress in your career, my manager is very supportive of helping me develop.You do have to show a lot of initiative - the support is there when you ask for it but you need to be proactive in seeking opportunities

Lots of social activities (netball tournaments, soccer tournaments, wine tasting, etc)

Can be a really hectic environment but there's a lot of opportunity to have fun (and have cake)
Pros
Free parking and onsite barista
Cons
Can be hard to find people in such a big company
Not Worth It
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  North Island9 October 2018
I thought this job would be a real great way to learn some skills and get a good start into the workforce. I was so excited about getting the job (although the period between me getting the job and starting work was about 6 weeks, not good at all). However, when I got the job, I saw I was going to be paid the Starting Out Wage. For those who do not know, this is a mere $13.20 per hour, for the first 6 months of an employee working there. Yes it’s legal, somehow. Obviously the company wants to get away with playing their staff as little as possible.
No benefits at all, you are not cared for at all. I was told I was getting a progress report with my boss for the first 3 months that I had worked there but that didn’t happen of course.

Oh! I forgot to mention that they will find any reason possible to deny you leave.

The only reason I am there is because it is better than nothing at all, although actively searching for a new job.

The only real plus side is there are some really fun people that I work with, but that has nothing to do with the company.

My tip from me to you: don’t do it.
Welcoming and good working ethics
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Manukau City, Auckland20 September 2018
Would always be welcomed by the crew upon arrival. Always worked together as team and had while doing it, although not too much as we continually focused at the task at hand,
Pros
Extra Hours Overtime
Cons
Short Breaks
workplace
Cleaner Total Groups (Former Employee) –  Auckland4 September 2018
My typical at work every day its was good and fun i learn how to short out the staff for the next day,learn how to clean and mix the chemical,to now how to order the staff is was short.how manage with the worker have to know them their self and have to respect each other have make fun talk about something to build up a good work their culture its so good because they are friendly and kindly every months they have a promotion to make a team to work hard to get goal and so proud of their self.The hardest part of the job is the toilets when is block the most enjoyable part is get together with other people at work.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
long hour
Very busy and full on work pace.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Clarence10 August 2018
The shop is busy and very active work environment. dont hear much from the Management team which is good. Customers always wanting to know where things are or why dont you stock....? Very physical work. I feel some people in the work environment are underrated and underpaid going by the double roles they do.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Place can be depressing at times.
The best place to work in New Zealand
SAP Pricing Analyst (Acting) (Former Employee) –  Auckland13 July 2018
Amazing experience throughout. From the company benefits to the bosses everything was amazing. Everyone was very supportive and helped to grow and develop my skills.
A day at work
Pick Packer / Reach Driver (Former Employee) –  Mount Roskill, Auckland5 July 2018
Working on night shift was great the work i could do and i would try challenge others and myself with the picking statistics. It was the people who worked with me that was fun. Nice caring environment (on nightshift) with staff of all different backgrounds and ages.
Pros
the people
Cons
nightshift having to work saturday mornings
Love the culture, enjoyable business to work for
General warehouse work (Former Employee) –  Favona, Auckland, NZ24 May 2018
turning up for work each day was easy, the culture, the people and making not just life time friends but people I can now call my family were reasons why I wanted to turn up each day.
Busy all the time. Never feel you completed your jobs at end of day.
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton East, Waikato19 May 2018
Duty Managers can be scape goats for many things. The real money is made being the store manager. Duty Manager can be very stressful and low pay i thought.
Pros
Your it.
Cons
Low pay. Especially for what you are required to do.
Invoice Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lower Hutt, Wellington18 March 2018
Good people to work for
company is down sizing hugely ,so time to move on
enjoyed my time there.
Bosses easy to talk to
Free car park to all staff
Pros
Close to home
good people
Stores person (Former Employee) –  Auckland18 March 2018
you laugh, have fun while working, friendly.
competitive work. easy work, nice and easy not too hard.
best time is home time.

you learn the values of integrity and respect, showing pride.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
good hours
enjoyable and very productive
Accounts Payable Administrator (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington10 March 2018
I was only there on contract for 6 weeks.
Very interesting.
Learned how to use JDE
Management was good
Worked as a team
There was no hard parts to the job
Doing reconcilations
Pros
Enjoyable work and company
Cons
No Cons