Play YouTube video button

Foodstuffs North Island Employee Reviews for Cashier

Featured review
Foodstuffs North Island selected this as a representative review
Superb company culture
Senior Commercial Analyst /Contract (Former Employee) –  Auckland New Zealand22 August 2017
Superb company culture, top of the class executive management and team spirit.
That was my entry to retail and fmcg environment and I was pleased that coming from a versatile background I was able to open new dimension for senior management in terms of effective reporting.
Pros
cantine
Cons
Strong culture produces a Great working environment
Part time Checkout Operator and Store Room Assistant (Current Employee) –  Auckland12 November 2019
The staff are what really turn this job from an average job into a great one, there is an excellent sense of community, and all the staff are super super friendly and welcoming. This means every time I go into the job, I always have fun, from my relationships with my co-workers up to the owner/operator. This job does require you to be ready for some occasionally stressful moments in peak hours when you can have a lot of customers to deal with, the occasional downside is you can't get some extremely annoying customers like any job. From my current position, I have learnt a large number of skills from learning how to be a Self/Normal checkout operator and many different aspects of the business from managing the phones to working in the storeroom. My typical day involves 1/2 running a checkout and the other half being on the phone, helping customers, working in the storeroom.
Not Worth It
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  North Island9 October 2018
I thought this job would be a real great way to learn some skills and get a good start into the workforce. I was so excited about getting the job (although the period between me getting the job and starting work was about 6 weeks, not good at all). However, when I got the job, I saw I was going to be paid the Starting Out Wage. For those who do not know, this is a mere $13.20 per hour, for the first 6 months of an employee working there. Yes it’s legal, somehow. Obviously the company wants to get away with playing their staff as little as possible.
No benefits at all, you are not cared for at all. I was told I was getting a progress report with my boss for the first 3 months that I had worked there but that didn’t happen of course.

Oh! I forgot to mention that they will find any reason possible to deny you leave.

The only reason I am there is because it is better than nothing at all, although actively searching for a new job.

The only real plus side is there are some really fun people that I work with, but that has nothing to do with the company.

My tip from me to you: don’t do it.