Foodstuffs North Island
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Foodstuffs North Island Employee Reviews for Cashier

Cashier4 reviews
New Zealand4 reviews
I worked within a multi-cultural environment which I really enjoyed. I got an opportunity to meet people from all works of life and from different cultures. All team mates were really friendly and helpful.
The most enjoyable part of my work was meeting new people everyday and building relationships. I gained experience in getting along with people from different cultures living in NZ.
The staff are what really turn this job from an average job into a great one, there is an excellent sense of community, and all the staff are super super friendly and welcoming. This means every time I go into the job, I always have fun, from my relationships with my co-workers up to the owner/operator. This job does require you to be ready for some occasionally stressful moments in peak hours when you can have a lot of customers to deal with, the occasional downside is you can't get some extremely annoying customers like any job. From my current position, I have learnt a large number of skills from learning how to be a Self/Normal checkout operator and many different aspects of the business from managing the phones to working in the storeroom. My typical day involves 1/2 running a checkout and the other half being on the phone, helping customers, working in the storeroom.
I thought this job would be a real great way to learn some skills and get a good start into the workforce. I was so excited about getting the job (although the period between me getting the job and starting work was about 6 weeks, not good at all). However, when I got the job, I saw I was going to be paid the Starting Out Wage. For those who do not know, this is a mere $13.20 per hour, for the first 6 months of an employee working there. Yes it’s legal, somehow. Obviously the company wants to get away with playing their staff as little as possible. No benefits at all, you are not cared for at all. I was told I was getting a progress report with my boss for the first 3 months that I had worked there but that didn’t happen of course. Oh! I forgot to mention that they will find any reason possible to deny you leave. The only reason I am there is because it is better than nothing at all, although actively searching for a new job. The only real plus side is there are some really fun people that I work with, but that has nothing to do with the company. My tip from me to you: don’t do it.