Fulton Hogan Management reviews

Discourteous work enviroment.
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Albany, Auckland4 November 2019
Fulton Hogan treats labor hire staffers with little respect. Operations management release shift information about 16 hours before start time. If you are a labor hire staffer you can expect hours to diminish rapidly with inadequate explanation. Management consistently reduce hours from one week to the next. Management is a confederacy of dunces, a boomer boys club drunk on the authority regional management positions give. Do not expect honest professional courtesy at Fulton Hogan.
Awesome company
Operator (Former Employee) –  Penrose, Auckland21 December 2018
The people at Fulton Hogan are awesome, including management. Their PPE gear is awesome, they know how to look after their team. Their Health and Safety is very strict, one of the best. I learnt from their most experience operators and you need good ears because they only say it once....lol
Pros
Good hours
Cons
More training
Great family orientated company
Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  Dunedin City, Otago30 October 2018
Great opportunities to learn and advance in your career
safe, positive and encouraging environment to work in and work for
plenty of variety in day to day work
giving opportunities of leadership, project management and a variety of roles of in the civil engineering world (environmental, civil construction, surveying, asphalt and drainage)
Pros
career advancement, management roles, variety
Cons
lack of younger employees in the region
Good place to work at to upskill and get ahead in your career
Construction Engineer (Former Employee) –  NZ8 March 2018
Typical day of work to show up motivated and ready to work, learnt everything I needed to know about project management. Management can treat everyone like robots communicating through emails and other people. There was a blue blood initiative which really brings everyone together. The most enjoyable part of the job was being part of something big.
Pros
being part of a range of civil projects
Cons
Management communicate through emails and other people instead of foot and mouth
Petroleum Plant Operator
Petroleum Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand31 October 2017
Great place to work. Plenty of training opportunities, plenty of paid time off, and plenty of career opportunities and room for advancement. The work-life balance made the job worth it in the end.
Pros
At least 30 days of PTO from day one.
Cons
Lower management could use some work. Upper management was awesome.
feild service mechanic
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland24 August 2017
it is a fun place to work there is no micro management and the just leave you to get on with your job as long as you get it done in a timely manner there are good people working there
Pros
great place to work
Cons
i can not think of any
Family Orientated, caring.
Driver Operator (Current Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland19 August 2017
Typical day of work varied from dig outs, to potholes, road maintenance. I learned quite a lot working with Fulton Hogan to do with the road environment. The management do their best to make sure that all daily jobs are completed in a proper time frame. The workplace culture at Fulton Hogan is family orientated and safety orientated as well to make sure that we are healthy and able to work well. There are various aspects of the job that are difficult due to unforeseen circumstances and weather etc. The most enjoyable part of working for Fulton Hogan was my work colleagues and the the work friendly environment at the work place.
Worst Company in History
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Whitford, Auckland15 October 2016
Whitford Quarry, has to be a stand alone division.
This department is run by an egotistical,narcissistic regional manager whom if you disagree with, your (so called) career will not only stagnate but when you have finally had enough and leave you will get the worst revue imaginable. This guy is that good that he has lost ALL his staff within 2 years.
If your ever needed the ultimate mental challenge, then apply for a job there (helps if you don't speak English) and when they give you the yearly appraisal just get him to fill it out as there worthless..
As for there OFI reports (Joke) !!.
Good part; The workers
Bad part; The lying about incidents and material testing.
Pros
Long term.
Cons
Being asked to lie, (material testing) (incidents)
good people
Cleaner/general labourer/supervisor (Former Employee) –  Balclutha, Otago1 September 2016
while working at Fulton Hogan I found the people there were good to work with easy to get along with 99% of the management were good but like most work places there is always the ones who aren't so nice to deal with. if your looking for a good work place give FH a go
Pros
good peope to work with
Cons
some times the hours can be a killeron the home life
Good equipment, reasonable hours
Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Paraparaumu4 April 2016
Vehicle check before leaving the yard
Got the gear needed for the job
Communication was the key to the job & working together as a team

Management was mostly punctual & on time unless was called out to an emergency like an accident ect.

Co workers were good but you have up's & down's now & then.

Hardest part of the job was to think on your feet in a dire situation & explaining it through to your team so everybody knows exactly where to be & what their roll is. There's also heavy lifting involved, set up & break down of site's. Knowing the measurements of road length & signs. Safety of your team, clients & the public.

Enjoyable part of the job is that your outside & at a different site everyday to change of scenery. Also when everyone knows what the plan is & what they are doing it's easy going.
Pros
Lunch breaks were given when needed & the crew were well to work with.
Awesome ground crew
Ground crew (Current Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington9 November 2015
Can be good Company to work for, but old gear tho in Wellington . Can be sum long days. The ground crews are good to work with.
Pros
Good ground crews
Cons
Management not the best, company very top heavy
If you're injured look for another job!
Apprentice carpenter (Former Employee) –  Southland Invercargill7 November 2015
I worked for Fulton Hogan for approximately 3 years as a apprentice carpenter in the Civil Building Division located in Southland. At first the job was really great and I made a lot of really close friends. Things changed when I was injured on site which resulted in a severe back injury which required surgery. The management tried to cover up my injury stating that it did not happen at work. When I thought things couldn't get worse a FH manager took on himself visiting me uninvited at my house and accusing me of lying about my injury. After my back surgery I found out that the Regional Manager attempted to use character assassination which isolated me from my work friends. FH management didn't take the time to support me and my family when I was injured instead they just attacked my credibility as a person. I would not recommend working for the Southland Branch. I have talked to many senior management at FH which stated that the Southland branch is is known as the wild wild West with making up their own rules. My advice is not to be injured on the job if you are do not get FH to manage your ACC entitlements. Instead just say you injured yourself at home and have ACC manage your Injury.
Pros
Good workmates
Cons
Bad management practices
It is a great place for the interim, and to help them out while they needed another staff member
Cafe Assistant (Current Employee) –  Christchurch, Hornby16 October 2015
The day would start at 6.30 and I would have particular sandwiches, rolls and sweet buns to make up, general food assistance.
I learnt a lot about speed and accuracy in my job, and the Management was lovely and very supportive. My Co-workers fantastic and helpful, the hardest part was trying not to eat the tasty food, and the most enjoyable was seeing people resting and relaxing in the cafe and the organised way of doing things there was well structured.
Pros
Free meal on break
Cons
The job was only Casual
productive and fun place
General Hand (Former Employee) –  Mt Maunganui8 January 2014
long hours, good management and work mates, a lot of travelling
productive people
Traffic control (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, N24 October 2013
setting up singns and cones for road layout.learnt to set up sites,management were always there,exellant co-workers,hardest part of job standing for 12 hour days enjoyable part of job was working as a team
Pros
drinks every fridays
Cons
Friendly team atmosphere. Good work flow through.
Machine operator/labourer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, New Zealand21 October 2013
I enjoyed working at Fulton Hogan, I acquired lots of skills in the process. The supervisory staff were always happy to teach and explain to ensure everyone performed to their optimum ability. Work was fast paced and efficiently managed.
Pros
Learning new skills
Cons
Communication flow sometimes halted between management and front line staff.
Not a good place to work
Maintance (Former Employee) –  Southland3 June 2013
I just left this company after working there for the last 10 years.
I wouldn't recommend this company to anybody.Nobody in management seems to no what they doing wages very low.No training keeped asking to learn new things never happened.Time to move on
Cons
good enviroment with zero harm culture
operator specialist (Former Employee) –  taranaki new zealand28 February 2013
good enviroment with zero harm culture, co workers are hard working.Management were good.Hardest part of the job was working in the heat.Got to see the country side.
Pros
good pay
Cons
worked for this company for number of years
Driver (Current Employee) –  invercargill21 August 2012
I found the workers to be good mates but management not good at all low wages long hours no recognition for the work we do low staff morale and this is a new zealand company no wonder they have a high staff turnover management needs to wake up otherwise there will be no one left including me this place used to be a good place to work but in the last few years under the curent management its been about the almighty dollar it used to be about the staff and family i hope they see this and make some changes but i doubt it
Pros
going home
Cons
long hours had to take extra work to pay the bills