Hallensteins
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Hallensteins Employee Reviews

New Zealand19 reviews
The store manager I had at the time (who is no longer the manager of this branch) of working here made coming to work a chore, the job itself was only good when he wasn't there but when I was there the energies in the store between staff seemed to have dropped Majorly. After my first day he complained to another worker about how bad I was at the job, ON THE FIRST 3 HOUR SHIFT. Wasn't very good at training staff, made me feel dumb for asking questions yet complained to other staff about my lack of knowledge in some areas. I learnt nothing being there other than the things I learnt myself over trial and error.
Great place to work, Provides you with great customer service experience and having the opportunity to work with many different customers from different backgrounds.
Typical day you start out with a heck of a lot of stock and most of the time a massive store change which sets the tone for a stressful day
Get massive targets which are sometimes unachievable but the team you get to work with are amazing, and they really become family.

Pros-

The team become your family

You accrue leave, not just a set amount of Leave per year

Staff discount

Cons-

Head office really don’t care about you

They take take take but never give anything in return

Hard to get pay rises
Hallensteins was a great company, this was my first job in retail and all of my co-workers were so helpful and lovely. My manager was Lovely and did everything in her power to ensure all of the employees were happy in their roles. Only let downs would be in regard to the head office as they wouldn’t let you take time off sometimes even for family events which is a bit disappointing but what you can expect in retail. Also sales targets were unrealistic and hard to reach, they put a lot of pressure on and at points resulted in conflict among the team. Also they pay really low for the amount of money you bring in for them along with the amount of work you are expected to do.

Other than that a 10/10 company who i would recommend to anyone wanting a job in retail.
Pros
Lovely staff, passionate managers
Cons
Low pay, sales targets
Although it was great environment management would not properly understand the social things I have in my life outside of work including sport and family
Pros
Good discounts
Cons
No hours (rare if so) and no pay rise unless you are a manager
I have experienced in this retail, fast-pace store is a must working at hallensteins, customer service skills is a high recommended here. Working here is a ability to learn product knowledge.
Cons
Long hours.
A typical day at work consisted of attending a team meeting, then picking garments, packing them in boxes and dispatching them off. Sometimes we would have extra jobs afterward such as barcoding, new lines( putting clothes away or sorting them out in sizes) and cleaning up the workspace. I have learned how to work in a team and clearly follow instructors from my supervisors. I have learned how to use their computer and handheld gun programmes. I also took part in stocktakes - which were taken very seriously. The hardest part of the job was maintaining speed. It was a physically demanding job, where you had to be on your feet the whole time, so sometimes I just had to try push through tiredness to get the work done. The most enjoyable part would be that it wasn't rocket science, you knew what you had to do. Supervisors allocated everyone jobs, there was no confusion as to what had to be done each day. As a full-time high school student, this job suited me very well.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Hours ( depended on the work load)
Hallenstiens was the first retail job i had, they taught me everything i would ever need to know and were extremely patient. The emplyees there were all fun and enjoyed what they did. The company always made sure to make sure there staff were valued and gave incentives.
Pros
amazing place to work
Cons
lots of standing
Great working environment, I have learnt alot from this company. Management is great. I have a lot of skills and experience. I have been there 3 years
Great culture, and team atmosphere. Good induction processes and a feeling of inclusion. Enjoyed the role very much.
I was involved in reaching sales targets, stocking shelves, selling and customer services skills. Assisting customers with sizes and ordering in if required.
Great and positive experience. Warm and welcoming environment, management was not the best but we managed as best we could. Fast and efficient team which benefit us hugely.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
Not enough hours
Typical day is stock in the morning and then selling the rest of the day. You learn how to sell better and how to deal with people. Team at henderson branch is really good. There is no "really hard part of the job. The team is defiantly the most enjoyable part of the job.
Busy from 8am till 12 pm then from 3pm to 6pm.

8 steps to great customer service, which can be used anytime anywhere, any situation. Redseed training.

shared job, great way to learn all management knowledge and requirements if there was a vacancy you are well prepared and confident in advance to pursue that position.

Very friendly, and supportive work together and sometime go out for dinner or after work drinks great team.

When you are try to do the work of a full team with less. Doing reports 3/4 a week.

Building a great team, and management. Making targets, having great customer moments and relationships.
Pros
Play company games
Cons
On a typical days work we would come in and have a morning meeting everyday with the whole team to show what is needed to be done for the day then we go and do what is needed and if there was time we would do extra so that the next days work load would be lifted a little.
While working for Hallensteins Brothers I have learnt so many things, when I first started I was a pick/packer and then I continued to move my way up and started to do things on my own like stock control and also some admin work in the office. It was a good 2 years there, I have leant a lot and made some good friends while there.
Pros
Getting taught something new around the building.
Working at the Hallensteins Distribution Centre was a great experience for me. The shifts they offered suited my lifestyle. A typical day at work would be moderately busy, which I liked because I was kept occupied throughout the day. The day itself would be managed professionally by my supervisors and they were structured in a way that benefited the company as well as employees (about 2 hours between breaks).

From taking on this role I learnt that I had to have a lot of initiative. For example, if I came across stock in incorrect locations in the warehouse, it would make it easier for everyone/the company if I took on the task of putting it into the correct location without having to be asked to do so. The work culture was to work as a team in order to get the work done. If some pickers finished earlier than others, helping those who were still picking was always the way to go in order to get the job done for the day. Every one was friendly and welcoming which really helped in terms of feeling free to ask for help.

The hardest part of the job for me was going on break in the middle of picking an order. I did not want to go on break in the middle of a pick, therefore a solution that came into play was to pick fast and accurately to get through orders before breaks. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was working in a team oriented environment. I loved helping others and contributing to the team to get through the day. Working behind the scenes at a workplace like Hallensteins Distribution Centre is an environment I feel comfortable in and enjoy being in because I
 - more...
Pros
Discounts, working in a team
Cons
Low salary
Was a good workplace with good work mates. Was a positive place most of the time and learnt a lot. Wasn't quite my type of job and wenrt able to fit it in around my rowing as we went away through weekends which is we=hen I worked.
Pros
Friendly work mates and good training program.
Cons
Not many hours and often worked sundays.
good culture within the workplace. fun and enjoyable environment to be in. everyone gets along, everyone has a roll into enhancing the company as a whole.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
fort night payment
loved working with customers. faced pace environment. Loved meeting daily targets. learnt what it takes to work for an awesome company with good discounts on products.
Pros
friendly co workers
My time at Hallensteins was short due to the role being a christmas casual.
I was offered a part time position at the end of my contract but unfortunately had over comments,

I learnt allot of social and sales skills during my time at Hallensteins aswell as loss prevention.

My overall experience at Hallensteins was great and would love to work there again.
Pros
VIbe, People, good hours
Cons
Strict ways of approaching customers, i found that the way we were asked to approach customers could sometimes make them feel awkward.