Hamilton City Council Employee Reviews

Workplace Culture
Asset Engineer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato2 September 2018
Everyday you meet new people as it is so huge.

It is a friendly place to work in.

You can very easily stick in you own environment and not become part of the larger group.

There are so many programs to learn and to find out how they work, thtat there needs to be more indepth teaching.

You have very rearely alot to do with some of the other groups.
Pros
Enjoyable small units to work in
Cons
So many things to learn and people to know it becomes overwhelming
Within the City Transport team, we have a wonderful culture of inclusivesness.
I currently work two days a week within City Transport at HCC. My day consists of touching base with various stakeholders and planning opportunities for us to share with the public the benefits of active travel; i.e. walking, bussing or cycling. HCC are very proactive in the personal development space affording us the opportunity to attend training courses. Our team has a great culture and is very supportive of each other and its needs. The hardest part about my job is with only working two days, there is a break in continuity and flow. It is difficult to get stuck into a robust project because I'm not there full-time. The best part of my role is the interaction I get from networking and fostering mutual and beneficial relationships.
Pros
Self development courses
Cons
Working part-time
well maintained very friendly
skilled labourer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato13 September 2016
Loved the jobs we done from re staining and removing graffiti off of fences to planting or removing of trees was a good work place this only lasted a year due to the task force green 12month contract HCC had in place at the time
Pros
our team leader was a laugh and easy to get along with
Cons
pity it only lasted a year....
A lively and full-on workplace
Communication Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato9 June 2016
While working at Hamilton City Council I learned that in the world of communications, no two days are the same.

Each day I would complete the organisations media monitoring update and produced the daily staff newsletter. I also monitored the Council's social media platforms and dealt with public comments. Other than those tasks, there was no way to predict what a typical day would include. From writing media releases to copy for the Council's Newspaper 'City News' and writing and executing communications plans, I received a wide range of experience in multiple tasks in this role.

My managers and co-workers were extremely hard-working people who I got along well with. No matter how busy things were, there was always an opportunity to seek support or advice and share a laugh.

The hardest part of the job was balancing multiple tasks while also maintaining a keen eye for detail. The most enjoyable aspect of this job was knowing that you would go to work and have the opportunity to work on various projects and up-skill in different areas each day.
Work with a good team who know their jobs very well
ADMINISTRATOR/CUSTOMER SERVICE (Current Employee) –  Newstead, Hamilton28 January 2016
A good employer with some very good systems in place. Supportive with extra training provided if and when required. Opportunities for secondment also available.
Paying 1200(approx.) employees on a weeklt/fortnightly basis and on time
Payroll Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  New Zealand30 November 2015
Data entry of timesheets and employee information. PAYE Tax payments. Helped IT to update current Payroll system to newer version.

My Manager was a great person to work for. Was very supportive.

Had great team mate two of us to process the pays). We were compatible both for work and friendship.

Hardest part of the job was Christmas time and the extra work needed to ensure staff got paid over the close down periods. Lots of advance pays to process.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people. Made great friends over the 38 years of service. Saw a lot go due to redundancy.
Pros
Workmates, friends
Cons
Upper management not always open and honest like they wanted us to be
great
A typical day at work would include a high dress requirement. A positive attitude and aptitude to all you come into contact with. A professional approach. To educate and familiarize yourself with your surroundings and to equip oneself of knowledge of the particular industry.
Pros
Meet dignitaries first hand.
Cons
Focus on tasks
Lots of hard work to do
Mobile Leading Hand Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Duke street Hamilton29 August 2014
I've really injoyed the little work i've done for H.C.C been at the Claudlands show grounds with the grounds men there over in Duke street with the old E.D.T boys, was really happy with the many n.z.q.a skills i had achived, and everywhere i had worked.
Pros
Reasonable meal break times
Cons
Reasonable hours and pay
Diverse with new ideas constantly introduced
Customer Services Representative ( (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, New Zealand27 December 2013
Excellent team to work with, Management (immediate team leader) very flexible and supportive. I learnt to be supportive of my colleagues and how to deal with each individual borrower with respect and empathy. Each person had their own story and the behaviours varied but with respect and courtesy each person was dealt with respectfully and courteously.
Pros
Team building and team work made for a happy environment
Cons
Having to deal with theives stealing library material
Great working environment, fun team.
Water technician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton29 August 2013
Typical day - 8.30 - 4.30 All customer inquiries relating to water supply
I learned - To listen to customers to understand what their requirements were.
Management - Open door policy, always ready to listen
Co-workers - Great fun at work, with social activities monthly
Hardest part of job - Dealing with awkward customers
Most enjoyable - Exceeding expectations in problem solving for all customers.
Pros
Good superannuation scheme
Cons
None really.
challenging and fun
City Parks (Former Employee) –  Hamilton6 August 2012
i gained alot of knowlege, and skills. meet alot of awsome people. and achived a landbased skills certificate. work was always hard but fun.
Pros
travel
Cons
rubbish