Hamilton City Council
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Hamilton City Council Employee Reviews

New Zealand13 reviews
Great support and mentoring for younger/newer staff. For a massive organisation, most people know of each other. Some areas restricted by budget and a reluctance to change.
Everyday you meet new people as it is so huge.

It is a friendly place to work in.

You can very easily stick in you own environment and not become part of the larger group.

There are so many programs to learn and to find out how they work, thtat there needs to be more indepth teaching.

You have very rearely alot to do with some of the other groups.
Pros
Enjoyable small units to work in
Cons
So many things to learn and people to know it becomes overwhelming
My education is in Tourism and so I jumped at the opportunity to start here in my field. I loved so much from this company and from the management. I have now been taught finances in my time here and now I can take this to my next opportunity.
I currently work two days a week within City Transport at HCC. My day consists of touching base with various stakeholders and planning opportunities for us to share with the public the benefits of active travel; i.e. walking, bussing or cycling. HCC are very proactive in the personal development space affording us the opportunity to attend training courses. Our team has a great culture and is very supportive of each other and its needs. The hardest part about my job is with only working two days, there is a break in continuity and flow. It is difficult to get stuck into a robust project because I'm not there full-time. The best part of my role is the interaction I get from networking and fostering mutual and beneficial relationships.
Pros
Self development courses
Cons
Working part-time
Loved the jobs we done from re staining and removing graffiti off of fences to planting or removing of trees was a good work place this only lasted a year due to the task force green 12month contract HCC had in place at the time
Pros
our team leader was a laugh and easy to get along with
Cons
pity it only lasted a year....
While working at Hamilton City Council I learned that in the world of communications, no two days are the same.

Each day I would complete the organisations media monitoring update and produced the daily staff newsletter. I also monitored the Council's social media platforms and dealt with public comments. Other than those tasks, there was no way to predict what a typical day would include. From writing media releases to copy for the Council's Newspaper 'City News' and writing and executing communications plans, I received a wide range of experience in multiple tasks in this role.

My managers and co-workers were extremely hard-working people who I got along well with. No matter how busy things were, there was always an opportunity to seek support or advice and share a laugh.

The hardest part of the job was balancing multiple tasks while also maintaining a keen eye for detail. The most enjoyable aspect of this job was knowing that you would go to work and have the opportunity to work on various projects and up-skill in different areas each day.
A good employer with some very good systems in place. Supportive with extra training provided if and when required. Opportunities for secondment also available.
Data entry of timesheets and employee information. PAYE Tax payments. Helped IT to update current Payroll system to newer version.

My Manager was a great person to work for. Was very supportive.

Had great team mate two of us to process the pays). We were compatible both for work and friendship.

Hardest part of the job was Christmas time and the extra work needed to ensure staff got paid over the close down periods. Lots of advance pays to process.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people. Made great friends over the 38 years of service. Saw a lot go due to redundancy.
Pros
Workmates, friends
Cons
Upper management not always open and honest like they wanted us to be
A typical day at work would include a high dress requirement. A positive attitude and aptitude to all you come into contact with. A professional approach. To educate and familiarize yourself with your surroundings and to equip oneself of knowledge of the particular industry.
Pros
Meet dignitaries first hand.
Cons
Focus on tasks
I've really injoyed the little work i've done for H.C.C been at the Claudlands show grounds with the grounds men there over in Duke street with the old E.D.T boys, was really happy with the many n.z.q.a skills i had achived, and everywhere i had worked.
Pros
Reasonable meal break times
Cons
Reasonable hours and pay
Excellent team to work with, Management (immediate team leader) very flexible and supportive. I learnt to be supportive of my colleagues and how to deal with each individual borrower with respect and empathy. Each person had their own story and the behaviours varied but with respect and courtesy each person was dealt with respectfully and courteously.
Pros
Team building and team work made for a happy environment
Cons
Having to deal with theives stealing library material
Typical day - 8.30 - 4.30 All customer inquiries relating to water supply
I learned - To listen to customers to understand what their requirements were.

Management - Open door policy, always ready to listen

Co-workers - Great fun at work, with social activities monthly

Hardest part of job - Dealing with awkward customers

Most enjoyable - Exceeding expectations in problem solving for all customers.
Pros
Good superannuation scheme
Cons
None really.
i gained alot of knowlege, and skills. meet alot of awsome people. and achived a landbased skills certificate. work was always hard but fun.
Pros
travel
Cons
rubbish