Harvey Norman Employee Reviews

Getting worse
Admin (Current Employee) –  New Zealand21 August 2019
The people are what makes working at this company worth it. It used to be a great fun place to work but lately it's obvious that management and the company don't really care about the people, you are replaceable.
Pros
The people you work with
Cons
Salary, no appreciation no matter how hard you work
Fast paced and challenging
Regional Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  6 different north island branches14 July 2019
The position itself i love the people and culture is fantastic. The travel is the only reason i am looking anywhere else. I miss not feeling like I have a base as I am constantly moving around the North Island.
Work hard, reap the rewards
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Otago18 March 2019
There's a lot of money to be made at Harvey Norman, but it can come at the cost of selling things you absolutely hate. The focus is to sell products with lots of margin that will make the company the most money, not to look after the customer.
The 4 departments plus Warehouse guarantee you're surrounded by many, many people and you will make friends. There's a bit of casual workplace sexism and racism which is not nipped in the bud though.
Pros
Team oriented so you'll always make friends
Cons
Early morning meetings, after work meetings daily, weekly and monthly, selling your soul for a dollar
Corporate Workplace
Administration Manager (Former Employee) –  Christchurch City, Canterbury25 October 2018
Working in a big company was different than other jobs that I had. Liaising with other Proprietors in different departments has certainly enhanced my communications and management skills. Also dealing with customer occasionally was very enjoyable.
Pros
Being part of management
Cons
Big Hierarchy
good chance to make good money
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui5 April 2018
At Harvey Norman, the wages weren't that great, but the opportunity to earn commission was. Sometimes, it was very difficult, but with the right attitude, you could make very good money.
Monotonous and death by a thousand cuts
Electrical Salesperson (Former Employee) –  New Zealand4 March 2018
I've been at a few stores over 15 years.
Starting in the early 2000's when an Electrical salesperson was getting their 10% share of healthy profits, and able to establish an income of 65-100k+ if you've got the goods and work hard.
Since those year head office found every way to destroy the income and moral of all salespeople.
Using (increasing rebates) behind the cost, whereas the salespeople only have their 10% commision at the front-end which the carve up for you.
Payrises are always met with "sell more" despite you working your butt off.
Red tape making the job painful as possible.
GM (who gets paid a multi-million dollar salary) and other head office staff make more and more while we rot.
Feedback is "NOT" appreciated either constructive or blunt.
The best salespeople are gone or just broken, with exception of a few plodders.
Many great people have worked the and still do but many have been broken along the way, tread carefully.

Oh and forget your weekends, they're not yours anymore
Pros
Ok money if you workhard and have thick skin
Cons
Soul crushing
Very Busy Sales World
Sales (Former Employee) –  Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui18 February 2018
Easy to get into a routine, Harvery norman keeps it's employees constantly on their toes with jobs to do around the store. There's alot more than just sales that goes into this buisness.
Great workplace and loved the pace
Store Manager Furniture Department (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland29 January 2018
Meeting with the Proprietor and plan for the day.
Stock movement.
Sales targets.
Pepare reports.
Stock improvement and make suggestions.
Sell...Sell...Sell
Cons
9am to 9pm
Fun and a constantly learning experience.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wanganui, Manawatu-Wanganui22 January 2018
I worked as a salesperson in two Harvey Norman stores for 3 years. And it was fun.

I met amazing workmates. I don't know about other stores but our team chemistry was awesome.

Great friendly cashiers, photocenter people and amazing admin team that always looked after us.

All we were required to do was to walk-around, talk, uncover what the customers want and deliver on it.
(And know what you're talking about)

And I'm still waiting on my payout. Haha (just a personal note) that could be faster.
Pros
always fun. Good pay. Even better discount. Great people.
Cons
new employees usually don't get trained as much, and we end up hiring a flood of new people closer to Christmas, that makes Christmas and boxing day sales a pain, "I have my own sales haha I can't do all 3 of your new GE Applications"
Fun workplace, very competitive
Retail Sales Executive for Electrical Department (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland21 January 2018
I was working for Harvey Norman as a sales person for the Electrical department , I was learnt how to meet and greet customers ,how to tell the difference from each product that we are selling ,how to sell the product and give the customers a positive attitude that they will agree to buy it .

Harvey Norman would have competition for the sales people of how to reach their sales target , we were offered free products, Food Voucher or Petrol Voucher for being a top sales person in the department which I achieved all of my targets and were offered with all those free stuffs from the company .

I have learnt from Harvey Norman of how to work as a team member, how to look after our dearest customers , how to sacrifice my days off to help out with Dodo even if I didn't get a paid on that day ,I will Volunteer to help out with short staff .
Pros
Free Lunch, Free products, Free Petrol Voucher
Cons
Long Hours when we have stock take
Good Workplace
Proprietor/Accounts Administrator - Temp (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland15 January 2018
Nice experience overall,
Good Job work/life balance,
Good Salary/Benefits,
Can not comment on Job Security as I was a Temp there,
God Management,
Good Job culture.
Good summer job
Stock helper (Former Employee) –  Botany Downs, Auckland5 January 2018
Worked there during the summer, kind co workers and boss. Was very casual work hours but still engaging enough to not be bored. Had fun making many connections with co workers as they were all friendly.
Work culture
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Nelson, Nelson2 December 2017
The work culture was an amazing sence to this well known company, our manager Brechon Murch at that I was there was absolutely amazing .
Only was he a good manager but he’s also someone you can lead by example .
productive and fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  christchurch new zealand8 November 2017
Harvey norman is a fun and vibrant company to work for. There are loads of opportunity to learn more about the company and to learn new skills each day.
Ok workplace
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ashburton District, Canterbury31 May 2017
A typical day at work was monotonous
My direct manager left a lot to be desired, but the floor managers were for the most part great
The culture was okay but there was a lot of bitchiness
Great Place. Great People.
Storeman (Current Employee) –  Pukekohe, Auckland31 May 2017
Working here is great. The team I'm a part of work really well together. The more experienced members are very helpful and are always on-hand to lend their experience. They're also very encouraging when it comes to letting you find your groove and what works for you without compromising the standard of work produced.
Pros
Staff benefits. Upskilling. Uniforms.
Cons
Salary
Great Place to work
Senior Sales / Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington12 April 2017
Very Competitive sales environment and excellent perks. It's one destination for Buying Electronic and Furniture. It's the biggest retail chain in Australia and New Zealand
Pros
good commision
Not fun
Storeperson (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury10 April 2017
If you like getting paid 16 hr to do hardwork for people that get paid double to do nothing then it's the job for you it's a Australian owned business who only looks after some of there stuff not all
Pros
Nice relaxing hours 8 830 to 530
Cons
Pay rate
work hard play hard paid not so great
Technician, store man, cashier, sales person (Current Employee) –  Dunedin, Otago5 April 2017
For a starter my first Proprietor was great but his successors were not
and the way the business is structured and its culture money and margin comes first not the customer and its staff.
But I learnt so much in Tech Bay, Photo lab, store room and Cashier.
It is a productive and fun place to work.
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Mount Wellington, Auckland9 March 2017
Working at Harvey Norman is fun and fast paced and i get to interact with lot of customers with different attitude and personality and i enjoy working like that.
Pros
Good pay if you are a good salesperson.
Cons
If you cant sell good pay is not much.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harvey Norman. Our community is ready to answer.