Harvey Norman
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Harvey Norman Management reviews

New Zealand42 reviews
Earned well for my current stage in life, however working management looked out for themselves and earning their own comssion rather than building a team friendly environment
Pros
good commission
Cons
hostile work environment
This company and its management has no respect or appreciation for its employees at all anymore.
There is little communication and zero interest from management to listen to its staff concerns or ideas.
Pros
Literally nothing
Cons
Below average remuneration for the expectations put on you. No communication, no feeling of being valued, no enjoyment.
I worked at Harvey Norman for 6 years and wish I left sooner.

You won’t get anyway in the company unless you know somebody in head office (talking from experience).
Also don’t expect a pay raise ever...

They focus more on the salespeople and provide them commissions but now Forget about the hard working office staff that are the glue to the front end of the business.

If you are an administrator then I would highly recommend looking elsewhere.
I have been working for the company for over 10 years in all honestly I wasn’t expected to stay but some time when your young and dumb you tend to get comfortable in this kinda environment, when I was interviewed I was told company appreciates hard worker and want to get up in the company, I ended my employment with them because I knew I had no future with them if you don’t know someone at head office then you will not get anywhere in that company, the structure of company is great team are great, management I have went through four manager there have been only 2/4 who I considered great people to work with but the last one. He only got the position because he knew someone at head office and managed to the previous manager fired because he Made several complaints against him. If you manager in that company you can hire your wife to be your PA and do what ever you want.

It was very difficult work with a manager who had no business sense most of the time he is in the office watching YouTube videos or not there at all he would be there maybe 2-3 days of the week and most of the day he will leave early with his wife to do launch or shop around the area.

The shot story of this if you want to go up in the company you need to Mary the manager or be his/her Friends with benefits.
The people are what makes working at this company worth it. It used to be a great fun place to work but lately it's obvious that management and the company don't really care about the people, you are replaceable.
Pros
The people you work with
Cons
Salary, no appreciation no matter how hard you work
Working in a big company was different than other jobs that I had. Liaising with other Proprietors in different departments has certainly enhanced my communications and management skills. Also dealing with customer occasionally was very enjoyable.
Pros
Being part of management
Cons
Big Hierarchy
I've been at a few stores over 15 years.
Starting in the early 2000's when an Electrical salesperson was getting their 10% share of healthy profits, and able to establish an income of 65-100k+ if you've got the goods and work hard.

Since those year head office found every way to destroy the income and moral of all salespeople.
Using (increasing rebates) behind the cost, whereas the salespeople only have their 10% commision at the front-end which the carve up for you.

Payrises are always met with "sell more" despite you working your butt off.

Red tape making the job painful as possible.

GM (who gets paid a multi-million dollar salary) and other head office staff make more and more while we rot.

Feedback is "NOT" appreciated either constructive or blunt.

The best salespeople are gone or just broken, with exception of a few plodders.

Many great people have worked the and still do but many have been broken along the way, tread carefully.

Oh and forget your weekends, they're not yours anymore
Pros
Ok money if you workhard and have thick skin
Cons
Soul crushing
Nice experience overall,
Good Job work/life balance,

Good Salary/Benefits,

Can not comment on Job Security as I was a Temp there,

God Management,
Good Job culture.
it was a great team environment and the management team was always there to give you a helping hand it was a hands on training but there is always someone there to help you
Pros
shared lunches, team building every friday
Cons
no cons
a typical day at work was fun,to fulfil the needs and wants of the
customers,with full of enthusiasm.

I learned that,like always that come customers first.

management is an imbalanced management

my co-workers always snatched and encroached on the customers

that I was serving.

the proprietor never respected right or wrong

the most enjoyable part of the job was that when I served the

customers,they always came back to me,and recommended their

family members,relatives and friends,always.
Pros
No free lunches
Cons
Long hours which I can handle
Absolutely loved working here, went through a management change and that shifted the culture of the store which was disappointing.

Best part was the busy atmosphere. There was never a dull moment, especially weekends. Everyone worked as a team, most of the time.

Hardest part was the change in management which caused a high staff turnover.

Too much change effected the working environment in a negative manner
Pros
Work hard, played harder!
Cons
Too much change effected the working environment in a negative manner
A typical day starts off early at 8 30 am with team meeting and review of the previous day.
It is then followed by setting of goals for the day .

Usually the days are really busy with customer flow.

I have learned various things through my experience my harvey norman. Values of customer service, building rapport and ways of closing deals.

The management of the company is smooth and the coworkers are really friendly and supportive.

The hardest part of the job was to balance my personal life due to long hours at work.

the most enjoyable part of the job would have been talking and interacting with customers the whole day and achieving goals that were set in the morning meetings.
Pros
work on commission plus hourly basis.
Cons
less days off
typical day one word FUN
management role plus honest person towards others
management is to be fair with the staff you work with.
not being at work was the hardest to know i have a rostered day off to go back and redo the work from the day before.

to go home knowing you worked well for the company.
Pros
work mates
Great team and management to work for.
Unfortunatley got made redundant from role due to restructure and cost cutting.
I am responsible for the effective management of the administration departments for the 10 south island stores. Accountable to the National Operations Manager and the GM of Finance and Accounting.
Pros
great team culture
Cons
Long hours, extensive travel