Harvey Norman
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Harvey Norman Pay & Benefits reviews

New Zealand43 reviews
The people are what makes working at this company worth it. It used to be a great fun place to work but lately it's obvious that management and the company don't really care about the people, you are replaceable.
Pros
The people you work with
Cons
Salary, no appreciation no matter how hard you work
I worked at Harvey Norman for 6 years and wish I left sooner.

You won’t get anyway in the company unless you know somebody in head office (talking from experience).
Also don’t expect a pay raise ever...

They focus more on the salespeople and provide them commissions but now Forget about the hard working office staff that are the glue to the front end of the business.

If you are an administrator then I would highly recommend looking elsewhere.
I have been working for the company for over 10 years in all honestly I wasn’t expected to stay but some time when your young and dumb you tend to get comfortable in this kinda environment, when I was interviewed I was told company appreciates hard worker and want to get up in the company, I ended my employment with them because I knew I had no future with them if you don’t know someone at head office then you will not get anywhere in that company, the structure of company is great team are great, management I have went through four manager there have been only 2/4 who I considered great people to work with but the last one. He only got the position because he knew someone at head office and managed to the previous manager fired because he Made several complaints against him. If you manager in that company you can hire your wife to be your PA and do what ever you want.

It was very difficult work with a manager who had no business sense most of the time he is in the office watching YouTube videos or not there at all he would be there maybe 2-3 days of the week and most of the day he will leave early with his wife to do launch or shop around the area.

The shot story of this if you want to go up in the company you need to Mary the manager or be his/her Friends with benefits.
At Harvey Norman, the wages weren't that great, but the opportunity to earn commission was. Sometimes, it was very difficult, but with the right attitude, you could make very good money.
I've been at a few stores over 15 years.
Starting in the early 2000's when an Electrical salesperson was getting their 10% share of healthy profits, and able to establish an income of 65-100k+ if you've got the goods and work hard.

Since those year head office found every way to destroy the income and moral of all salespeople.

Using (increasing rebates) behind the cost, whereas the salespeople only have their 10% commision at the front-end which the carve up for you.
Payrises are always met with "sell more" despite you working your butt off.

Red tape making the job painful as possible.

GM (who gets paid a multi-million dollar salary) and other head office staff make more and more while we rot.

Feedback is "NOT" appreciated either constructive or blunt.

The best salespeople are gone or just broken, with exception of a few plodders.

Many great people have worked the and still do but many have been broken along the way, tread carefully.

Oh and forget your weekends, they're not yours anymore
Pros
Ok money if you workhard and have thick skin
Cons
Soul crushing
Nice experience overall,
Good Job work/life balance,

Good Salary/Benefits,
Can not comment on Job Security as I was a Temp there,
God Management,

Good Job culture.
Working here is great. The team I'm a part of work really well together. The more experienced members are very helpful and are always on-hand to lend their experience. They're also very encouraging when it comes to letting you find your groove and what works for you without compromising the standard of work produced.
Pros
Staff benefits. Upskilling. Uniforms.
Cons
Salary
If you like getting paid 16 hr to do hardwork for people that get paid double to do nothing then it's the job for you it's a Australian owned business who only looks after some of there stuff not all
Pros
Nice relaxing hours 8 830 to 530
Cons
Pay rate
Working at Harvey Norman is fun and fast paced and i get to interact with lot of customers with different attitude and personality and i enjoy working like that.
Pros
Good pay if you are a good salesperson.
Cons
If you cant sell good pay is not much.
working 6 to 7 days a week with little or no support trying to increase profits with one hand tied behind your back having to work as a social worker with your staff and trying to motivate a staff that only want to do so much.
Pros
salary
Cons
staff issues, head office