Healthcare NZ Employee Reviews for Support Worker

Extremely bad management in Hamilton
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton East, Waikato30 April 2019
Not at all helpful. You don't have any job security. Selfish coordinators in Hamilton. If you are looking for a company with good management and support then this is absolutely a rubbish place. Only the best part is the co workers. It's my experience from Hamilton only.
Pros
Good co workers
Cons
Rubbish coordinators in Hamilton
productive
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Mount Wellington, Auckland27 October 2018
Good pay, good hours, fairly easy the contact with office staff, very often attends to requests by field workers in good time but lack of progress individually.
Pros
good pay
Cons
a boring job
Respect and dignity, importance
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury12 August 2018
My clients were amazing but my boss was very hard to get a hold of and very unorganized. Always having to.work 24 hour shifts as no one sorted rosters ect.
Pros
Awesome clients
Cons
Unorganized
Good clients
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  South Auckland, Auckland19 July 2018
I find the after hours staff and some of the management personale rather rude and condescending, they refuse to listen and fail to comprehend the most basic forms of communication. They (management) are absolutely quick to reign down authority and to are very quick to let you know that support workers are very replaceable but also wonder why they are short on workers..
HCNZ promise that all employees will be fully trained and receive level 2-3 national certificates, along with pay rises and regular pay reviews which sounds promising but for a the majority of long term employees this is not the reality, if you ask about the certificate after being trained all you get is excuses apon excuses, even from the most senior of management. You are supposed to get paid when a client cancels an appointment ... well what HCNZ say and do can be two entirely different things - my advice "check your pay slip". HCNZ also do not allow enough time between clients so get use to explaining lateness to angry clients... oh and whoever calculates the travel reimbursements clearly has absolutely no idea or even a remote clue about the reality of Auckland traffic or the price of gas yet how to operate a calculator.
Pros
Good clients, good hours.
Cons
Poor management, poor communication skills, uncompromising, unability to listen, comprehension difficulties.
Productive and fun workplace
Full-time Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Mount Maunganui, Bay of Plenty7 May 2018
A typical day at work from 9am to 4.30pm. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and helping them with their daily activities. Very supportive management.
enjoy my work
Advanced Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Blenheim, Marlborough11 April 2018
I love my job looking after the elderly caring for them in either PC or HM getting to know them in their own homes having fun laughter with them and being there for the sad times too. Giving them 100% of my time energy while I'm in their home.
Worked by myself most of the time
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Wanganui, Manawatu-Wanganui20 March 2018
I enjoyed looking after the clients and learning new skills. Having guaranteed hours. I showered most clients in the morning and Meds and safety checks in the evening.
Pros
Free gloves, aprons, guarantee hours
Cons
Lack of communication and support
Fun productive workplace
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Christchurch11 March 2018
Very minimal work
I gained a National Certificate in Health, Disability and Aged Support while an employee. Over my time there I throughly enjoyed being A CSW
What I learned
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Northshore6 February 2018
I learned that life is full of uncertainties. One must enjoy life to the fullest while it lasts. Family and friends are the most important commodity. Forgive and forget and empathy is the biggest virtue.
Pros
Meet people with different diagnosis
Cons
Meet people with different diagnosis
Making a difference
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Auckland19 November 2017
The most enjoyable part of the Job is you meet a lot of new people, see how they live day to day and being able to see the difference you make in their life by being there to assist them through their day. Make them smile and happy to have someone that helps them and cares for them when they need the help.
I have found Healthcare NZ good to work for.
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton East, Waikato27 January 2016
Even though I have received affirmation from the company that I am doing a good job, I have come to recognise that this role is one I am not really comfortable in.
The clients I work with have been wonderful, and it is rewarding to be able to provide the help requested by the company service plan, to the best of my ability.
I find that I personally still desire to work in an administrative situation, but I will continue to do my best to work well, and I appreciate the opportunity to do so until my situation changes.
I find this role can be very isolating, as I am not permitted to create close friendships with my clients, and the opportunity to meet with other support workers for encouragement is very limited.
Pros
There is a lot of flexibility with hours worked.
Cons
It can be quite stressful at times, travelling between clients homes in busy traffic.
flexiable
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, N2 November 2015
its very flexible and time management
travel to clients just a breeze loving clients sometime you lose clients to rest home and sometimes you get more clients and new clients nice to have different client and they are very nice.
Pros
meet new clients all the time
Cons
can be long hours
I like working at one place than visiting alot of places
SUPPORT WORKER (Former Employee) –  Hillside Road Dunedin14 July 2015
It is fun meeting new people.I have learned how to look after elderly and make sure they're safe and sound,also i can work without a supervisor or boss around.The hardest part is to drive to client's places,and the most enjoyable part is when i had to listen to their stories and have a cup of coffee or tea.
Pros
Free coffee or tea
Cons
i like overtime
great company to work for
support worker,caregiver (Current Employee) –  whakatane16 June 2015
a typical day at work can be very busy,not to mention interesting with lots of lovely people to work for and help out.on a daily basis,love the job and the people.I get alot of satisfaction being able to provide support in so many ways,and knowing that i am appreciated for the help im able to provide to my clients.
Pros
lovely clients to help
Cons
can be long hours
not efficient
support worker (Former Employee) –  taupo22 February 2014
unorganised office staff.
clean and shower the elderly, drove from client to client
meet some lovely people
Pros
hours to suit
Cons
not enough hours when requested and pay not great
friendly and caring
community support worker (Former Employee) –  wellington, lower hutt16 November 2013
Its a lovely company to work for, I just need more work now that I have finished studying for the year.
Pros
i get to travel around everywhere
Cons
not enough hours
low self esteem and not many hours
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  manawatu11 November 2013
I have back to back clients with no time for breaks. I work alone with no team back up and no socialisation with other co workers.
Pros
free training when it is offered to us
Cons
no breaks available and inconsisent hours and low pay
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Alexandra21 September 2013
Its a good place to work as you are out and about in the community with your clients do day to day living with them
Pros
good hours
Quiet Productive.
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Auckland, N20 August 2012
It is always a challenge to working around people with special needs knowing that at the end of the day you have achieved to help someone in life. I have leaned to work in an environment of team work and what can be accomplished when there is Team work. Work has been well managed by the effort of everyone in the team. Co-workers very supportive. The hardest part of the job is when you no one to support you. The most enjoyable part is when you have achieved your goals regarding the duties assigned.
Pros
yes free lunches.
Cons
extra hours to do the job.