Hillstone Restaurant Group

Hillstone Restaurant Group Employee Reviews

2.9Work–Life Balance

Good money - miserable management/upper management

Money is great. Training is extensive as it should be. Managers and executives seem to care less about their employees and just focus on the sales each store is putting out each day. Would be a more enjoyable workplace if there was some employee recognition/appreciation from upper level management. You work your tail-end off, picking up shifts to HELP the managers and they just continue to use & abuse it without giving anything back. If you work here just remember - they will replace you in a heartbeat no matter how much you give to them.

Pros

Money

Cons

Amazing money, but horrible management who is demeaning and rude.

I hated every day that I stepped foot in the door, extremely micromanaged, almost impossible to get time off work. the managers are all teenage girls with nasty attitudes, but noone quits because the truth is you can make six figures there serving burgers and fries.

Pros

Amazing money

Cons

everything there is horrible except the money

Productive work place

Made plenty of money. Hard working environment with plenty of growth opportunities in a well respected restaurant group. Awesome clientele that you will enjoy building relationships with as well.

Terrible management

Terrible management. Expects you to work a double everyday without a break. GM makes decisions based off who she likes. Constant changes to menu and servers are told to not let regulars know.

Can be great

You have the opportunity here to make big money, but the management can really make or break it. Especially the regional managers who can come in and fire you for no reason. They also 100% play favorites so if you're not in the chosen few, don't expect good sections or job security. The will overwork you and will always take a guest's word over yours.

Great money, very poor management

The money is great especially for the hours worked but the management is terrible. FOH managers are constantly quitting from being over worked and the GM makes it clear the employees are not valued or respected.

good place to work

Very nice staff and respectable management. A very good place to work in the restaurant business if you are someone who is looking for a good reliable job with good pay.

Stressful hostile environment

The only thing keeping employees is the money. You make good money but the job itself at time is unbearable. The worst part is management. They don’t care about the employees. You’re constantly called on off days from a manager begging you to cover shifts due to the extremely high turnovers. When you say no they make you feel awful. It’s a good place to work for the money. Everything else, terrible.

Great team, awful management

The team here is wonderful. Managers are horrible. Staff are treated as replaceable and are overworked due to constant understaffing. The turnover is extremely high because the work culture is toxic. Money was mostly good. Hard working co-workers were fired for small reasons, mostly because they didn’t get along with management.

Pros

Great staff, good tips, teamwork

Cons

Awful management, hard to get time off, toxic culture

A waste of time

Working at hillstone is a complete waste of time. They’re so consumed by the guest's perception of their staff rather then the efficiency and the hard work they see IN there staff. They don’t stick up for their staff by ANY means, and are completely ignorant to motivation and recognition for what really matters. They don’t TEACH, I was fired after 2 reviews that were completely distorted and ludicrous. They say you can ask questions but don’t give you room to LEARN. Management is constantly breathing down your back about your image, verbiage, or the way you “circulate” the dining room. You’re constantly walking on eggshells. They don’t treat their staff with respect, and are extremely passive aggressive. They will fire you because you don’t know something that wasn’t even taught to you during training. God forbid you ask your table for a box with 2 bites left!!! I’ve served for 6 years and NEVER worked for a company this awful. Please don’t waste your time. They’re urgently hiring because they can’t keep an employee.

Hard work, great pay

Very specific guidelines for day-to-day. You do more than the typical restaurant. If you like the everyone does everything culture, you'll love it. If you like more independence you won't. It's long hours, all standing, hard work. Expect to close by cleaning your assigned area and leave by 11:30/midnight even though we "close" at 9. No insurance until 1 year from hire date. No time off. Great weekly $ for being a server.

Unnecessarily Stressful

Management breathes down your neck 24/7. It takes months to move to a bigger section. Unfair seating. Long hours. Half the people you work with are lovely, the rest fake. Management are rude and won't be scared to show you this in front of guests. Honestly, still have nightmares.

Fun work place to learn

great people great training and they care about their staff and servers. they feed the staff before both morning and evening shifts. everyone has a great and positive energy.

Extremely strict and inhumane

Money is pretty much the only good thing about this job. The management is extremely strict about everything and the work environment is the most stressful you'll ever have. Personally, even getting paid "good" was NOT worth the amount of stuff they would make you do. NO JOB FLEXIBILITY AT ALL. If you do not intend to work full time or close to full time you shouldn't work here. Shifts are 8-14 hours long and you have to work most days of the week. You don't ever get to go on any sort of break. I would highly recommend putting your time and energy somewhere else.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Everything else

Literally the most toxic work place

I’ve worked in a lot of restaurants in my life. But this place is just insanely toxic. They fire people left and right, then keep on people that should have been fired because they like them. Like, some one ignored an allergy and sent some one to the hospital, wasn’t fired. My son was admitted to the hospital (he was 5) and I got written up for not getting my shift covered (after I TRIED, and talked to the GM about it) the Management had absolutely no sympathy or understanding. They are verbally degrading to employees and very two sided. “If you have a question just ask.” But then if you ask they write you up for not knowing every ingredient in something. Some employees are awesome, but some thrive in the toxic environment and make it even worse. Worst part is, those are the people that are kept on. They money is great there from the tips. But 100% not worth it to work in such a toxic and terrible work environment, you can find better money and a better place to work.

Terrible culture

Do not work here. Managers constantly gaslight you that you could be fired and they talk down to staff and treat everyone terribly.The money is decent for serving. SO that's why people endure the verbal abuse. Honestly, in the end, it's not worth it. Find somewhere else to work.

Pros

Good money for serving

Cons

Terrible toxic culture

Machine overcharged working environment - Easy burnout & toxic environment

Upon being vetted for the position there is a company policy of discrimination which is clearly scensed since day one. There is a disregard for people's time. Once brought onboard for training they have outdated training materials in which they expect to be learned in less than 24hours & you will be tested on the materials. People who train you are often no more than 2 months working there. They speak ill of each other - no healthy team culture. As well as will bad mouth guests. Its completely unprofessional the manner in which they conduct themselves as a supposed high standard company. The amount of demand and expectation is also inhuman. Their drive is to turn everything around like a machine for no regards to their employees. They don't give any breaks, food or even provide you with a glass of water. You are on your feet & expected to be occupied & demonstrating joy the entirety of your shift. Contrary to what they say - there isn't flexibility in their schedules. Even though pay may be good, for the amount of stress, poor character from team members & lack of healthy work culture it makes for a toxic work environment which isn't sustainable. Don't subject yourself to a disfunctional environment.

Good money but environment is too stressful

Coworkers are nice, managers are the most unprofessional people I have ever met. Very hostile environment overall. Didn’t enjoy working there, getting day off is extremely hard

Loved this job as a server but got fired for not living up to the standard.

I was a server at Hillstone for 6 months and genuinely loved my job. I was a top 3 server in the restaurant pulling well over $6000 to $8000 dollars in sales a week. The money was amazing and my coworkers were amazing. However, the management is so out of touch with humanity and what hospitality is all about. Over my 6 months with the company, I've seen so many competent and great servers and bartenders get fired for a guest review or a mistake that they made. The threat of being fired was alway present and that loomed over the job all the time. I thought I wouldn't be fired but I was wrong. I dedicated so much time and even moved to the area for this job, only to be terminated. I will end this by saying this is a great job if you are able to not let the managers or company break you for not following their standards. Just always be ready to leave at a moments notice.

Mentally draining and sets you up for failure.

My time had tremendous ups and downs, and a lot of in-betweens. Hillstone has the best staff, both FOH and BOH. The people there are wonderful and were substantial to making it through a day. The clientele, the revolving door of "spec" policies, and the system of being a server sets you up to fail. You either can do it or you can't, and if you can't immediately after training, expect heavy pressure from management.

Pros

The pay. The people. The food isn't half bad.

Cons

Mentally taxing. Unnecessarily stressful. Varying levels of competency in management..

Fun place to work/over managed

For a restaurant it’s a great place to work. I enjoyed my coworkers and the people I served. Management is too micromanaging. Good job to support in pursuit of other things.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hillstone Restaurant Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Hillstone Restaurant Group