Home Instead

New Zealand8 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Found 8 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,573 reviews

No Problems.

A no stress job, I have the freedom to make a difference in other peolpes lives. I feel appreciated for what I am able to accomplish.Duty makes me do things well, love of my job makes me do them beautifully.

Pros

the work is not difficult

Cons

nil

Nothing to say

Loved working for home instead friendly staff and working colleagues if there was any problems the staff were there to get it sorted out I had no problems at all working for the too and half years.

They just dont care

They dont do what they say they will like call you back or keep in touch but god for bid they call you and you dont answer they call you three times text you 4 and email you 5. All in a matter of minutes. They dont go by how well you do or how hard you work or how many years experience you have. Basically your 1

Pros

You meet some nice elderly people

Cons

Work/life balance sucks, they just dont care, you gotta pay for everything

Official response from Home Instead

18 February 2020
We're sorry to hear your employment with this Home Instead franchise office was not as positive as we would like. If you would like to provide more information about your experience with this office, please feel free to contact Toni Schmitt, our Brand Advocate and Ombudsman, at 888-330-8210.

Great job work your own hours

I love the job and it fits me and my time!! Company works around your schedule and gives you clients that match you ! You can work an area close to your home

Cons

You get to help people but management is awful.

I originally took this job because i wanted to be able to help people in need. I started as a care companion so i did not touch the clients (no toileting or bathing). When i was first hired i could choose whether or not to take a paid class to become a personal companion (bathing clients, sponge baths, changing depends, toileting, wiping). They changed that so that you are required to take this class and i believe this is so they can force you to take personal care shifts (it is supposed to be a choice). They messaged me every day with a list of open shifts and it was mandatory to work two weekend days a months meaning if you need those days and only personal care is open then you don't get to say no otherwise you get an unexcused call out. Three call outs and you are fired. No vacation days. No time off. No call out days. Management is a mess. There was NO communication at all. They would cancel shifts on us and wouldn't call to tell us. Once i set off a clients home alarm system. I called management for the code (as were the instructions in the care journal). They didn't know it and hung up on me. texted me, not called, thirty minutes later after the company threatened to call the police believing i had broken in asking if i had figured out the code. Luckily my clients friend was able to supply the code so the police didn't show up. Once i had to pack a clients house, the ENTIRE HOUSE, by myself in three days and management literally told me i was on my own but i had to get it done.

Pros

Helping people. High Pay.

Cons

Literally everything else

Official response from Home Instead

21 February 2019
Thank you for your review and for telling us about your experience with Home Instead Senior Care. We're sorry to hear your experience with this franchise was not as positive as we'd have liked. Your feedback is really important to us and we invite you to contact our Brand Advocate, Toni Schmitt at our corporate office at www.homeinstead.com/contact-us if you'd like to share any other details. Thank you.

Challenging work, with clients needing a wide and varied range of cares

The nature of this business is to Care for clients in their own homes. For a variety of reasons care is required, from calling in to ensure they remember to take medication prescribed, having a sit down and chat to ensure the client is okay right through the range to dealing with terminal cancer patient needing 24 hour care, sleeping in same room and dealing with catheta or other medical equipment. I always had back up on call, but did find some of the extreme cases beyond my experienc and stressful.

Pros

Having the privilege of giving comfort and care

Cons

My lack of experience to take on some of the clients made for a level of stress.

care giver

home instead was very unprofessional and demanding up their needs. They state they're all about their workers and their clients but they are only care about themselves in office not the people out in clients homes.

Very caring company to work for taking into consideration all the needs of the clients.

A typical day at work would involve total care for the client which may involve showering, light housework, preparing a meal or even taking the client out and about as well as grocery shopping.I have learned to foresee and experience the challenges that the elderly have in keeping themselves well and healthy. I have also learnt that as their carer you have to foresee any potential home hazards in the home so as to curtail any potential accidents.There isn't really a hard part to the job except to say there are sometimes tricky communication problems because of misunderstandings or mild dementia experienced by the client.The most enjoyable part of the job is being appreciated for what you do.

Pros

flexible hours

Cons

low pay and very casual hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Instead. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Home Instead Reviews by Job Title