Housing New Zealand
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Housing New Zealand Employee Review

fun place to work

10 September 2017
A typical day in the life of a Tenancy Manager with Housing New Zealand differed from day to day, Certain events took priority that was beyond your control for example a dwelling fire, are they okay do we need to rehouse them, is it safe for staff and contractors to enter? is it contaminated with asbestos or meth? If no urgent action required then debt was my number one focus to address early provide early intervention to assist our customers to retain their housing, Our role was highly mobile it had to be.. to manage over 400 properties the tenants and their issues. I loved working and assisting people to provide them with the tools to manage their own circumstances. To instill a sense of pride in their homes. I received training constantly as it is a changing environment and kept up with technology.
The hardest part of the job was commuting from Thames to Hamilton daily the work traffic had increased so much it added another 40 minutes of travel daily. You may ask why I worked in Hamilton? I was happily employed in Thames / Coromandel until a restructure was announced in 2012 staff numbers were reduced at Housing New Zealand so to keep my employment I had to travel, I was lucky vehicle was allocated to my role for business use only
Pros
we were constantly rewarded with food
Cons
commuting from Thames to Hamilton daily made it a long day
5 November 2018
Tenancy Manager (Former Employee) - New Zealand
I have been Case manager for only short time but gained many friends and always remember. great Management but job security not good experience, you will not know when they will cut down jobs . Great place work and lots of fun.
5 April 2017
Tenancy Manager (Former Employee) - Whangarei, Northland
Being flexible and ready for any situation was part of any day @ HNZC - you may have a full diary but you could arrive in the morning and be required to attend to a house fire etc. The best part of this job was being able to help people to improve their situation and share your knowledge with them - win-win situations is what I sought which encompassed much negotiation and listening skills. The ability to work with people from all walks of life including customers, other Government & community agencies, management & fellow staff was also part of the position.
The worst part of the job was ' there's never enough hours in a day' to do justice for everyone and everything that lies in front of you - this corporation supported staff with medical insurance & great annual & special leave packages knowing that it was a high powered, busy job and was answerable to the government of the day. I learned to be patient and a listener and to never take anything or anyone for granted.
Pros
People, people & people
Cons
Never enough hours in a day
13 April 2016
Tenancy Manager (Former Employee) - Mangere, Auckland
A typical day at work would have to be when I walk in and straight away I open up my e-mails to a maintenance complaint, a hit and run situation where a car has gone through a front fence and taken off, stolen goods from an outside shed or if it's been raining through out the week, my typical day will surely start with complaints of roof leaks and flooding.

If there's anything to be learnt in this line of work, it's that you can't judge a book by its cover. A family may show a happy front, but inside their house there are holes in doors and walls that tell a different story.

Making sure that I organise and prioritise my work load each day helps me to manage my day on a daily basis and helps me to multitask where and when needed.

My co-workers are very supportive. We believe in the saying, many hands make light work. I have a lot of trust and faith in my team especially when I'm off work sick or away on annual leave, that my work will be picked up by them in my absence.

The hardest part of my job is trying to get request full home redecorations for houses where people have lived in for over 20 years, only to be told that we do not have enough budget money to spend.

The most enjoyable part of my job is receiving a positive outcome for something that I've been following up and trying to push through for a tenant to be approved.
Pros
Meeting different people from all walks of life.
Cons
Portfolio's are too large for one person to give 100% quality work.