Housing New Zealand Employee Reviews

Canterbury Meat Packers Ltd
Pick/Packer (Former Employee) –  Canterbury, Ashburton30 March 2014
In all the past jobs that I worked at I have learnt that I can use different types of skills in the workforce and if I don't have the skills for the job I can pick up the skills in that particular job real fast. But the hardest part of the job that I found was leaving my child in the centre without being there by her side. Now that she is old enough to be at school I can accept that she will be fine while I'm working. The most enjoyable part of the job that I found was when I picked up knew skills that helped me earn bonuses, found friends because I was loyal to the job, and I earned people's respect because I was so good at doing my job and also communicating with people. I learnt how to manage my works hours, and job so that I get a permanent job there at this company, but I didn't get that far because I ended up getting pregnant and moved to Auckland.
Pros
Beef Boning Level 3
Cons
40 hours per week
Housing NZ is a great place to work for. Very warm and friendly atmosphere. Felt like one big happy family.
Debt Specialist (Current Employee) –  Manukau19 March 2014
I learned so much at Housing NZ. I had very supportive managers and was always encouraged to not be afraid to have ag at anything. I had been at Housing NZ or 3 months and was given one of roles of a senior Debt specialists. Dealing with my own port folio. I had a few port folios, but it was a big responsibility having to stay on top of high debtors and also doing daily debt work. I also deal with the legal side. I would be the one to start the prcess of legal action towards a tenant.

I found it hard at first to tell a tenant that if they were not able to keep payents up to date etc or if they had broken any arrangements. Telling them that they were going to lose their home.

All in all, the friendly and supportive environment made me enjoy going to work. Everyone would be willing to help one another. The managers are awesum supportive people. Housing NZ was a great place to work.
Pros
We had employer of the month, I received employer of the month on the 2nd month from when I started with Housng NZ.
Cons
The hours were great. It worked well with my family life.
Proactive and fun workplace
Debt Administrator - Tenancy Services (Former Employee) –  Manukau18 February 2014
I was employed as a Debt Administrator for Tenancy Services Supplementary Team within Housing New Zealand.My main roles include establishing damages, processing / entering bank account details for tenant credits / refunds and also for tenancies across New Zealand.
All of my interaction with tenants is done via telephone conversation.
Working with Housing New Zealand has allowed me to develop strong decision making and problem solving skills. It has also allowed me to work autonomously and within a team to achieve goals and has made me understand the importance of being accountable for my own actions. Also being employed with Housing New Zealand has allowed me to be more professional in hou I conduct myself when dealing with customers and colleagues.
I work sell under pressure using effective time management to achieve deadlines. I am focused on achieving high results through people working together.

I also have gained knowledge ot the debt collection process and also the damage process within Housing New Zealand.

I worked as part of a team of four administrators within the Tenancy Services Supplementary team within Housing New Zealand.
Pros
free lunches
Tenancy Manager Housing New Zealand
Community Group Housing Tenancy Manager (Former Employee) –  Wellington, New Zealand11 January 2014
I was responsible for the complete South Island portfolio of Community Group Housing.

This was an incredibly satisfying role, as we provided housing for people in real need. We also provided people who may not have necessarily had any private space their own bedroom and sense of space.

I tenanted properties and organised reactive maintenance on the properties. I was also part of the group who implemented a more transparent rent subsidy program.
Pros
Sence of acheivement and the real sence of helping people.
Cons
Being so far away from my portfolio.
Great company
January 2014 HR Administrator (Former Employee) –  Wellington, ENG5 December 2013
Variety of work, great culture and management, extremely busy HR department.
Being onto it in the work place dont get distracted
Interior painter to Housing New Zealand (Former Employee) –  everywhere15 October 2013
get to work start getting ready for the job so theres no messing around when we get there so we can go hard!!
i learn alot its hard to put it in words but i show my learning skills in the work i do.
i like to get things done so theres no falling behind i hate to be behind and stress about stuff so i like to keep ahead of things
hardest part of the job well i dunno working isn't easy that's the joy of it and of course no1 can argue that the best part of the day is lunch and the end of the day.
Well managed
Housing Advisor (Former Employee) –  Porirua26 June 2013
This was my first contact centre role and from here I thoroughly enjoyed being part of the team. I was given alot of opportunities to develop and further my skills in becoming a team leader as well as other opportunities in further advancing within the corporation. A typical day consists of answering the phones and meeting targets.
Productive and fun workplace
Administration (Former Employee) –  Wellington, N17 June 2013
I worked with hardworking staff who had lots of experience in the jobs they trained me in.
Pros
morning tea
Cons
abuse from clients
Fun
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Lower Hutt, Wellington3 June 2013
Good environment to work along and also good work mates. The most enjoyable part of this job when we visit tenants properties
Pros
Free teas
Cons
Fix hours
outgoing, fast paced
cleaner (Former Employee) –  albany27 January 2013
daily basis job is to clean 3 houses between 2 or 3 people, hour and a half maximum per house depending on state of dirtiness, I learnt that to get the job done every team player has to be at work or work load is too much for 1 person- there was no hard part about the job, I had adapted to the work load very quickly and I enjoyed that we weren't at the same house everyday but was likely to be in the same area within the week.
Pros
good hourly pay
Cons
no company vechicle
Fun workplace
Office assistant (Former Employee) –  Kilbirnie, Wellington26 December 2012
Housing New Zealand (Kilbirnie) was a fun place to work at and everyone made me feel welcome. They were all very helpful and i enjoyed just having lunch with everyone and hearing their experiences of working at Housing New Zealand.
Team building
Tenancy Manager (Current Employee) –  Mangere, Auckland, New Zealand11 November 2012
Tenancy Manager's Role

I work with different cultures and communities and has an awareness
of their specific needs.
We are working as One Team with integrity to achieve EXCELLENCE.
We are helping New Zealanders in their time of housing need.
Very poor no job training poor management and a job trainer who was not at the job to do the training.
Debt Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lower Hutt27 August 2012
Very poor job training.
The person responsible for job training showed no interest in training.
Did not help. Other staff ignored the new person. One staff member said do not ask other people questions as they have their own work to do. Left to do nothing. The work that one was requried to do was completed by another woman in the Porirua Branch.
The Manager showed no interest in staff training saying there was no time to train and there was no room available to transfer to Porirua. Left staring at the computer and referring at handwritten notes.
Pros
govt job, 40 hour week, good money, the right career path
Cons
no on the job training.
Professional and vibrant atmosphere
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Manukau, Auckland18 July 2012
A typical day at work would be fun, face paced environment and targets and to achieve. What I learned was how to deal with angry customers how to be calm and understanding especially professional. I also learned how to work with pressure and how to speak professionaly with clients and co-workers.

The hardest part of the job would have to be the first day but the most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the last hour of the day when almost everything is done and you feel a real sense of achievement.
Pros
fun professional vibrant co-workers
Great Job
Needs Assessor (Former Employee) –  Henderson18 June 2012
My role as a Needs Assessor was from the first point of contact from housing applicants.

The role was a very intense one that was vital in gaining as much information as possible to make a correct assessment. Applicants spoke about their lives and the information was very personal.

The hardest part of the job was not being able to house people that were in desperate need. I enjoyed working with my peers and learned so much about how New Zealand people really live.

I loved this job and working with people. Unfortunately the role was only a short term contract and with Government cut backs there was no opportunity for an extension.
Pros
great staff, hard work
Cons
not being able to assist every applicant that was eligible.
We make the most of what we can-and enjoy being a close team
Tenancy Advisor (Current Employee) –  Papanui8 June 2012
New role, currently interview up to 21 new housing applicants per week.

Complete all data entry,ensure documents,reports,communication, and personal KPI targets are achieved daily.

Sound RTA knowledge, mediation skills, effective reporting, liasing with other Government and private sector agencies.

Exceptional time management required for this postion and intgrety of a high standard when dealing directly with the customers in a front role position.

Previous role Housing Manager with a portfolio of over 280 properties, delaing in all aspects of property managment, conflict resoultions, Tribunal Hearings, Mediations, property inspections, and liasing with tenants from all social sectors and ethnic backgrounds.
Pros
very supportive team mates
Cons
future progression within the company is limited