IDEA Services Employee Reviews

Challenging but rewarding workplace
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Lower Hutt City, Wellington10 July 2018
Supporting people with intellectual disabilities to become more independent and having there own life choices. I ran groups like music and football that part of the job was very fun and rewarding. When people have health issues and seeing how hard it can be day today for the families can be hard, but when you see the people happy and thanking for your hard work it is all worth it.
Interesting
Support worker (Current Employee) –  Auckland2 June 2018
There are a lot of challenges working for this company. The service users are rewarding to work with. There is too muc h paperwork. Watch out for bullying.
Pros
Rewarding work
lonely
Support worker (Former Employee) –  Thames-Coromandel District, Waikato19 May 2018
hard work with looking after special needs clients. shopping for clients, assisting with laundry, cooking dishes and all the aspects of life. Not a difficult job but may be challenging
Pros
Enough work most days
Cons
Not enough support during weekends and holidays, (office closed)
Worst management I've come across in my entire working life.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Idea Hutt9 May 2018
Severe lack of communication between support workers and management . Zero respect from management for the support workers. Underskilled and poorly trained unprofessional support staff often working one on one with vulnerable service users. Back breaking soul destroying DOUBLE SHIFTS (24 hour shifts) called "rollover shifts". Just call them what they are!! A health and safety nightmare!
Changing work environment
Health Advisor (Current Employee) –  Timaru City, Canterbury28 February 2018
National restructuring has bought about disestablishment of many positions including that of Health Advisor and a huge degree of uncertainty and stress
Pros
Persons for whom we provide a service
Cons
No position certainty
One off but has generated more
Cultural Performing Arts Tutor (Former Employee) –  Manukau City, Auckland9 January 2018
The management were open and work specific. This enabled me to deliver their requirements easily without any miscommunication.

This originally was going to be a one off - but has generated more work. Start time yet to be decided by ourselves and the company.
Pros
Shared meals with them
A friendly and rewarding place to work.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Whangarei, Northland3 January 2018
A great place to work and if I was to return to New Zealand I would definitely consider working for them again. I found the job very rewarding and challenging at times. I found I was very quickly welcomed into the family of this organisation.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Split shifts
Loanly but rewarding
Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Petone, Wellington11 December 2017
I did this as a second job so only did about 10 hours per week. I really like the fact I could start early in the morning and then go back to do more time if required after my main job.
Meeting new clients was always hard but once I had meet them I enjoyed the work.
It was hard work but I enjoyed making the connection and gaining his trust so he felt comfortable with me.

Sorry I'm not sure of start and finish dates.
Average
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Porirua, Wellington26 October 2017
Management aren't very supportive of advancing staff in their roles.
Would rather hire casuals than give current staff hours to live on.
Always reviewing staff and services to find ways to save money and pay staff less.
Management make lots of promises but very rarely deliver.
Pros
free meals
Cons
You need to work a lot of hours to survive, quite possible you will be attacked on the job by clients.
Good working place
Caregiver disability (Current Employee) –  Hasting/Napier9 October 2017
I am taxi drivers and I have work with school student.I have done few course in unit Certificate for special needs.I have Four years experience handling special needs.l want to leave taxi driving and do a physical work .
Pros
Cons
9 hours or more
Be paitence
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Manukau City, Auckland13 September 2017
As a support worker my job is to support the person regardless of his or her race gender or culture.Be paitence when you at work .dont be stress which makes life harder for others. Take a break if you need to.
na
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Taupo, Waikato1 August 2017
Most days were very repetitive and change was very difficult to obtain. Management was very challenging and at times (too often) abusive. Too many control freaks in that organisation for my taste and too many rules and regulation which are not necessary.
Pros
Having fun with service users on good days
Cons
management's power control issues
Excellent culture and fantastic employee support
Accounts Payable Officer (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington2 April 2017
I loved working at the head office for Idea Services/IHC. I was encouraged to broaden my skills and take on additional responsibilities with brilliant support from my line manager. The whole office had a relaxed atmosphere but everyone worked exceptionally hard to ensure deadlines were met to the best of our abilities. I would gladly work there again.
Pros
Lots of social events and morning tea's
Difficult, hard and dangerous work with little to no support or reward.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  North Island19 March 2017
Extremely difficult job at the best of times. Bare minimum training, extremely stressful, long shifts. No real organisation, little support for staff (especially in stressful and difficult situations such as when clients become difficult, upset or violent)!

Extremely poor management performance and support; borderline illegal treatment of staff, dangerous work practices and culture of indifference to staff issues or problems.
Pros
Not that i've noticed.
Cons
Pretty much all of it.
hard but rewarding job
Service Support Person (Former Employee) –  Paeroa, Waikato5 March 2017
this job was hard work as the boy in my care was adhd as will as having austism,the rewards to see him grow and come out into the community and able to live,the company itself was not easy as there was no surport of area you could further in the company as they only allowed woman a promotion
Pros
see clients grow
Cons
company not surportive
Good workplace and nice staff
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand13 February 2017
Introduce our client to the community even they had disability.and the management give you a chance to step up and they give the full support to our career.
Pros
free training
Lonely workplace
Support worker (Former Employee) –  Rotorua, Bay of Plenty30 January 2017
Not having back up from other staff members and lack of communication.
if you want a part time job it is good.
there is a few trainings you get both on and off the job
Interesting Job
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Hawkes Bay22 January 2017
Everyday is different
Treat everyone equal
Management is better now
Multicultural people working
Good team work
Working with different kind of intellectual people
Very rewarding and fulfilling job working with all degrees of disabilities
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Hawkes bay, New Zealand16 January 2017
Especially loved working with children for 10 yrs and seeing them grow and achieve with the love and support of carers. Also the adults attained an excellent quality of life under the professional and empathetic care of support workers
Pros
Self rewarding work
Cons
Sleep overs were sometimes tiring
I enjoyed the Caring side of this job and the work colleagues alongside me which is what explains my longevity.
Community Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington10 January 2017
I didnt like the hypocrisy and politics within the company.There are Support workers and maybe two Managers however who are doing a wonderful job and not being appreciated.
Pros
Being genuinely" in tune" with the people I've supported .
Cons
Long hours and inconsistency