IDEA Services Employee Reviews

Poor unsupportive culture
Mental Health Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington3 October 2018
Good if you are a smoker and like looking at your cellphone whilst gossiping and finding faults in others when they work. Bad if you've got a strong can do attitude, as it won't be rewarded. Repeatative and soul destroying work such as cleaning snot off walls and asking residents to stop masterbating in public whilst giving into demands from service users. But you better ask them nicely as they've got rights and one of the staff smokers may lanch a compliant about you. Work place went through 13 staff in less than two years. The situation is too many service users per staff member, meaning all staff end up doing is cleaning and making meals for residents rather than empowering them and getting them involved with achieving goals.
Pros
Food
Cons
You might go insane Due to the depressing culture created by institutionlization
Staff not supported
Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Hawkes Bay2 September 2018
There are constant ads for new staff while loyal staff are sidelined below the poverty line. Those staff could be used so that they get a living wage (not 15 hours per week). This promotes a toxic environment where staff are reporting each other for small things or false complaints so that they will get the hours.
You may be left on your own with highly volatile people, you may do a sleep over and cannot sleep due to disturbances. Soon as you make a small mistake the management will throw you under a bus or the nearest train.
Best not to join.
Pros
Service Users are great
Cons
Long hours, no life of your own.. split shifts and back to back shifts kill.
Good if you are good
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington20 August 2018
If you are a good genuine person then this job is for you. If you like to help and care about people. Otherwise, you won't have the patience and fortitude to do this job.
Challenging but rewarding workplace
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Lower Hutt City, Wellington10 July 2018
Supporting people with intellectual disabilities to become more independent and having there own life choices. I ran groups like music and football that part of the job was very fun and rewarding. When people have health issues and seeing how hard it can be day today for the families can be hard, but when you see the people happy and thanking for your hard work it is all worth it.
a fun place to work
support worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton East, Waikato10 July 2018
This job has/is a fun place to work. The people we support tho have a variety of physical and intellectual disabilities, can be the most fun loving people you know.

Yes this job can be stressful, especially since i'm working in a high needs house, both with physical and intellectual challenges. I do a lot of personal cares, cooking, house work, paper work,giving medication etc, but also get to plan and enjoy day trips out, just taking them to get a haircut can be a fun outing.

In this role you are are their staff, friend, emotional support, advicat and greatest cheerleader.

Yes it can interfare with your personal life at times, but you are aware of that when you start.

I have found my manager to be very supportive not only with work, but also when i have had personal issues. I have enjoyed my time here.
Interesting
Support worker (Current Employee) –  Auckland2 June 2018
There are a lot of challenges working for this company. The service users are rewarding to work with. There is too muc h paperwork. Watch out for bullying.
Pros
Rewarding work
lonely
Support worker (Former Employee) –  Thames-Coromandel District, Waikato19 May 2018
hard work with looking after special needs clients. shopping for clients, assisting with laundry, cooking dishes and all the aspects of life. Not a difficult job but may be challenging
Pros
Enough work most days
Cons
Not enough support during weekends and holidays, (office closed)
Worst management I've come across in my entire working life.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Idea Hutt9 May 2018
Severe lack of communication between support workers and management . Zero respect from management for the support workers. Underskilled and poorly trained unprofessional support staff often working one on one with vulnerable service users. Back breaking soul destroying DOUBLE SHIFTS (24 hour shifts) called "rollover shifts". Just call them what they are!! A health and safety nightmare!
Changing work environment
Health Advisor (Current Employee) –  Timaru City, Canterbury28 February 2018
National restructuring has bought about disestablishment of many positions including that of Health Advisor and a huge degree of uncertainty and stress
Pros
Persons for whom we provide a service
Cons
No position certainty
One off but has generated more
Cultural Performing Arts Tutor (Former Employee) –  Manukau City, Auckland9 January 2018
The management were open and work specific. This enabled me to deliver their requirements easily without any miscommunication.

This originally was going to be a one off - but has generated more work. Start time yet to be decided by ourselves and the company.
Pros
Shared meals with them
A friendly and rewarding place to work.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Whangarei, Northland3 January 2018
A great place to work and if I was to return to New Zealand I would definitely consider working for them again. I found the job very rewarding and challenging at times. I found I was very quickly welcomed into the family of this organisation.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Split shifts
Loanly but rewarding
Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Petone, Wellington11 December 2017
I did this as a second job so only did about 10 hours per week. I really like the fact I could start early in the morning and then go back to do more time if required after my main job.
Meeting new clients was always hard but once I had meet them I enjoyed the work.
It was hard work but I enjoyed making the connection and gaining his trust so he felt comfortable with me.

Sorry I'm not sure of start and finish dates.
Average
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Porirua, Wellington26 October 2017
Management aren't very supportive of advancing staff in their roles.
Would rather hire casuals than give current staff hours to live on.
Always reviewing staff and services to find ways to save money and pay staff less.
Management make lots of promises but very rarely deliver.
Pros
free meals
Cons
You need to work a lot of hours to survive, quite possible you will be attacked on the job by clients.
Good working place
Caregiver disability (Current Employee) –  Hasting/Napier9 October 2017
I am taxi drivers and I have work with school student.I have done few course in unit Certificate for special needs.I have Four years experience handling special needs.l want to leave taxi driving and do a physical work .
Pros
Cons
9 hours or more
Be paitence
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Manukau City, Auckland13 September 2017
As a support worker my job is to support the person regardless of his or her race gender or culture.Be paitence when you at work .dont be stress which makes life harder for others. Take a break if you need to.
na
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Taupo, Waikato1 August 2017
Most days were very repetitive and change was very difficult to obtain. Management was very challenging and at times (too often) abusive. Too many control freaks in that organisation for my taste and too many rules and regulation which are not necessary.
Pros
Having fun with service users on good days
Cons
management's power control issues
Excellent culture and fantastic employee support
Accounts Payable Officer (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington2 April 2017
I loved working at the head office for Idea Services/IHC. I was encouraged to broaden my skills and take on additional responsibilities with brilliant support from my line manager. The whole office had a relaxed atmosphere but everyone worked exceptionally hard to ensure deadlines were met to the best of our abilities. I would gladly work there again.
Pros
Lots of social events and morning tea's
Difficult, hard and dangerous work with little to no support or reward.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  North Island19 March 2017
Extremely difficult job at the best of times. Bare minimum training, extremely stressful, long shifts. No real organisation, little support for staff (especially in stressful and difficult situations such as when clients become difficult, upset or violent)!

Extremely poor management performance and support; borderline illegal treatment of staff, dangerous work practices and culture of indifference to staff issues or problems.
Pros
Not that i've noticed.
Cons
Pretty much all of it.
hard but rewarding job
Service Support Person (Former Employee) –  Paeroa, Waikato5 March 2017
this job was hard work as the boy in my care was adhd as will as having austism,the rewards to see him grow and come out into the community and able to live,the company itself was not easy as there was no surport of area you could further in the company as they only allowed woman a promotion
Pros
see clients grow
Cons
company not surportive
Good workplace and nice staff
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand13 February 2017
Introduce our client to the community even they had disability.and the management give you a chance to step up and they give the full support to our career.
Pros
free training