IDEA Services
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IDEA Services Employee Reviews

New Zealand55 reviews
I enjoyed the work involved, especially supporting the people in my care. Learning from them, different personalities, but also the opportunity to continue learning and being trained within the company. I would definitely work for Idea again if circumstances allowed.
under valued
used and set up to fail

over worked no appreciation from management

quick to find fault

staff are quick to make other staff look weak find fault
Pros
Cons
very long isolated hours
I worked in Timaru branch and managers and staff over there were very helpful and supportive. Also, I experienced the best orientation. Fun loving and caring staff.
I worked in a vocational centre catering for high needs users. This is for largely immobile, non vocal clients. The staff put more time and energy into their own extended lunch breaks than they did client activities. A large percentage of the time they were on their phones or going out for cigarette breaks.Nobody took accountability when incidents occured. If I voiced up I was jumped on.Absolute toxic environment.
Would like to be based in a house close to home enjoy working with people to have standard living in the comunity and assisted with general life style enjoy a challenge to see positive results
Enjoyed working with idea services everything was great infact i didnt feel like i was working more doing something i enjoyed and got satisfaction from. Only thing i could say needed improvement would be staff dynamic..
An ineffective management that don't listen to complaints until someone is hurt (staff or service users) or dies. Not to mention the culture of bullying in the company to staff and service users. Publically, the company talk of improving their lives but in reality this is rarely the case. While service users are given care plans to achieve goals these are often restricted by funds or staff, which the company attempts to reduce at every opportunity.
Work can be meaningful,
management can be hands-off,

usually working alone or with another team mate,

must do cooking a lot of the times,

driving is a must,

easy to take leave but if you'll be excluded from leave-taking if there are already a lot of other people taking leave.
I have mixed feelings about IDEA Services. I loved the interaction with the people we supported and learned a lot about myself by being with them. Where I have issues is the poor support given by the company to provide quality service and also look after its staff. Regularly phoned on days off and begged to work extra hours.
The company has good training programs if you can get on them. Very quick to ply the paperwork onto you. In fact, due to so much paperwork, a lot of activities are not undertaken with the people losing that human factor of wow that's interesting let's go and find out

Initiative and encouraging the Service user to do as much for themselves as possible is not encouraged either meaning a lot of talent is overlooked

In conclusion, would I work with the Service user ...anytime, best party you could ever have, have so much to offer and never forget who you are. IDEA services well they still have a long way to go.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at IDEA Services?
I worked at Idea for 27 years and I experienced bullying and abuse by Managers and area managers who backed each other up with lies. They acted like the Gestapo. They used their 'power's to belittle you and make up complaints to intimidate and threaten your job. If you dare to report them or make a complaint they will make up lies to get rid of you. Worst years of my life working in
i enjoy working with them but job is insecure
you may need to look for new job as they dont help in work permits

otherwise its good

i love working with my residents
My job entailed overall meal preparing toilet cleaning and keeping the clients busy and happy about coming to the big scary building on veronica street in New Lynn

OVERALL I felt sad and loathed coming to work the employees I worked for except one or two were mean and rude to the gentle natured clients that liked coming there

I am very thankful that I got to know some interesting funny out going people to me they wernt dumb just challenged and very mistreated in their overall life.
Pros
No pros
Cons
No cons
Where to begin?
Little to no training, incompetent and ineffectual management, difficult and stressful shifts in situations you'll not have been educated or orientated in or to. Workplace bullying by colleagues, managers and clients.Difficult and dangerous workplaces and roles with no support and little information, however, you will be held responsible for any and all issues, despite your lack of Knowledge or training in these situations. Stressful and long, lonely shifts punctuated by having to clean soiled clients and bouts of physical violence. You may or may not be relived at the end of your 24 hour shift (it's a bit like lotto, but the prize is more sole destroying work)!

It could be a worthy and rewarding role, helping those with a disability live a good and productive life, however, red tape, politically correct bullsh*t and severely limited funds (not to mention a completely incompetent management structure) stifle your ability to do any good at all!

Also, there is a good chance you will assaulted and or injured frequently, so, there's that to look forward to.
The best workplace I have been too. People helping people with special needs. You have a great life ahead of you after taking some time off from work...seeing people with special needs go by is a great thing that gives you inner reward that no money can keep up with.
Pros
Free snacks, coffee and tea.
Cons
difficulty in communicating with service users
Love the service users,but sad for the duty of care they receive from inexperiant staff an dont understand their culture or respect it..thats so wrog
Pros
Service users
Cons
Bad care.
Good if you are a smoker and like looking at your cellphone whilst gossiping and finding faults in others when they work. Bad if you've got a strong can do attitude, as it won't be rewarded. Repeatative and soul destroying work such as cleaning snot off walls and asking residents to stop masterbating in public whilst giving into demands from service users. But you better ask them nicely as they've got rights and one of the staff smokers may lanch a compliant about you. Work place went through 13 staff in less than two years. The situation is too many service users per staff member, meaning all staff end up doing is cleaning and making meals for residents rather than empowering them and getting them involved with achieving goals.
Pros
Food
Cons
You might go insane Due to the depressing culture created by institutionlization
There are constant ads for new staff while loyal staff are sidelined below the poverty line. Those staff could be used so that they get a living wage (not 15 hours per week). This promotes a toxic environment where staff are reporting each other for small things or false complaints so that they will get the hours.
You may be left on your own with highly volatile people, you may do a sleep over and cannot sleep due to disturbances. Soon as you make a small mistake the management will throw you under a bus or the nearest train.

Best not to join.
Pros
Service Users are great
Cons
Long hours, no life of your own.. split shifts and back to back shifts kill.
If you are a good genuine person then this job is for you. If you like to help and care about people. Otherwise, you won't have the patience and fortitude to do this job.
long shifts and lots of vacant hours.lots of perks provide but growth oppurtunities are very less. candidates who are looking for full time positions in caregiving must apply.
Supporting people with intellectual disabilities to become more independent and having there own life choices. I ran groups like music and football that part of the job was very fun and rewarding. When people have health issues and seeing how hard it can be day today for the families can be hard, but when you see the people happy and thanking for your hard work it is all worth it.
This job has/is a fun place to work. The people we support tho have a variety of physical and intellectual disabilities, can be the most fun loving people you know.

Yes this job can be stressful, especially since i'm working in a high needs house, both with physical and intellectual challenges. I do a lot of personal cares, cooking, house work, paper work,giving medication etc, but also get to plan and enjoy day trips out, just taking them to get a haircut can be a fun outing.

In this role you are are their staff, friend, emotional support, advicat and greatest cheerleader.

Yes it can interfare with your personal life at times, but you are aware of that when you start.

I have found my manager to be very supportive not only with work, but also when i have had personal issues. I have enjoyed my time here.