IDEA Services Employee Reviews

The people you support make the job special
I have mixed feelings about IDEA Services. I loved the interaction with the people we supported and learned a lot about myself by being with them. Where I have issues is the poor support given by the company to provide quality service and also look after its staff. Regularly phoned on days off and begged to work extra hours.
The company has good training programs if you can get on them. Very quick to ply the paperwork onto you. In fact, due to so much paperwork, a lot of activities are not undertaken with the people losing that human factor of wow that's interesting let's go and find out
Initiative and encouraging the Service user to do as much for themselves as possible is not encouraged either meaning a lot of talent is overlooked
In conclusion, would I work with the Service user ...anytime, best party you could ever have, have so much to offer and never forget who you are. IDEA services well they still have a long way to go.
Culture of bullying and abuse
Community support worker (Former Employee) –  North canterbury21 November 2019
I worked at Idea for 27 years and I experienced bullying and abuse by Managers and area managers who backed each other up with lies. They acted like the Gestapo. They used their 'power's to belittle you and make up complaints to intimidate and threaten your job. If you dare to report them or make a complaint they will make up lies to get rid of you. Worst years of my life working in
fun work place
Senior Support worker (Former Employee) –  Tauranga, Bay of Plenty24 September 2019
i enjoy working with them but job is insecure
you may need to look for new job as they dont help in work permits
otherwise its good
i love working with my residents
Events coordinator
Activities coordinator (Former Employee) –  New Lynn, Auckland14 September 2019
My job entailed overall meal preparing toilet cleaning and keeping the clients busy and happy about coming to the big scary building on veronica street in New Lynn

OVERALL I felt sad and loathed coming to work the employees I worked for except one or two were mean and rude to the gentle natured clients that liked coming there

I am very thankful that I got to know some interesting funny out going people to me they wernt dumb just challenged and very mistreated in their overall life.
Pros
No pros
Cons
No cons
It's a nightmare!
Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Wellington11 September 2019
Where to begin?
Little to no training, incompetent and ineffectual management, difficult and stressful shifts in situations you'll not have been educated or orientated in or to. Workplace bullying by colleagues, managers and clients.Difficult and dangerous workplaces and roles with no support and little information, however, you will be held responsible for any and all issues, despite your lack of Knowledge or training in these situations. Stressful and long, lonely shifts punctuated by having to clean soiled clients and bouts of physical violence. You may or may not be relived at the end of your 24 hour shift (it's a bit like lotto, but the prize is more sole destroying work)!

It could be a worthy and rewarding role, helping those with a disability live a good and productive life, however, red tape, politically correct bullsh*t and severely limited funds (not to mention a completely incompetent management structure) stifle your ability to do any good at all!

Also, there is a good chance you will assaulted and or injured frequently, so, there's that to look forward to.
People oriented
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland18 August 2019
The best workplace I have been too. People helping people with special needs. You have a great life ahead of you after taking some time off from work...seeing people with special needs go by is a great thing that gives you inner reward that no money can keep up with.
Pros
Free snacks, coffee and tea.
Cons
difficulty in communicating with service users
Not a good organisation,they dont pratice what they preach.
Support carer for special needs (Former Employee) –  Auckland31 July 2019
Love the service users,but sad for the duty of care they receive from inexperiant staff an dont understand their culture or respect it..thats so wrog
Pros
Service users
Cons
Bad care.
Poor unsupportive culture
Mental Health Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington3 October 2018
Good if you are a smoker and like looking at your cellphone whilst gossiping and finding faults in others when they work. Bad if you've got a strong can do attitude, as it won't be rewarded. Repeatative and soul destroying work such as cleaning snot off walls and asking residents to stop masterbating in public whilst giving into demands from service users. But you better ask them nicely as they've got rights and one of the staff smokers may lanch a compliant about you. Work place went through 13 staff in less than two years. The situation is too many service users per staff member, meaning all staff end up doing is cleaning and making meals for residents rather than empowering them and getting them involved with achieving goals.
Pros
Food
Cons
You might go insane Due to the depressing culture created by institutionlization
Staff not supported
Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Hawkes Bay2 September 2018
There are constant ads for new staff while loyal staff are sidelined below the poverty line. Those staff could be used so that they get a living wage (not 15 hours per week). This promotes a toxic environment where staff are reporting each other for small things or false complaints so that they will get the hours.
You may be left on your own with highly volatile people, you may do a sleep over and cannot sleep due to disturbances. Soon as you make a small mistake the management will throw you under a bus or the nearest train.
Best not to join.
Pros
Service Users are great
Cons
Long hours, no life of your own.. split shifts and back to back shifts kill.
Good if you are good
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington20 August 2018
If you are a good genuine person then this job is for you. If you like to help and care about people. Otherwise, you won't have the patience and fortitude to do this job.
long- draining work
Senior Support Worker (Current Employee) –  North Shore City, Auckland19 August 2018
long shifts and lots of vacant hours.lots of perks provide but growth oppurtunities are very less. candidates who are looking for full time positions in caregiving must apply.
Challenging but rewarding workplace
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Lower Hutt City, Wellington10 July 2018
Supporting people with intellectual disabilities to become more independent and having there own life choices. I ran groups like music and football that part of the job was very fun and rewarding. When people have health issues and seeing how hard it can be day today for the families can be hard, but when you see the people happy and thanking for your hard work it is all worth it.
a fun place to work
support worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton East, Waikato10 July 2018
This job has/is a fun place to work. The people we support tho have a variety of physical and intellectual disabilities, can be the most fun loving people you know.

Yes this job can be stressful, especially since i'm working in a high needs house, both with physical and intellectual challenges. I do a lot of personal cares, cooking, house work, paper work,giving medication etc, but also get to plan and enjoy day trips out, just taking them to get a haircut can be a fun outing.

In this role you are are their staff, friend, emotional support, advicat and greatest cheerleader.

Yes it can interfare with your personal life at times, but you are aware of that when you start.

I have found my manager to be very supportive not only with work, but also when i have had personal issues. I have enjoyed my time here.
Interesting
Support worker (Current Employee) –  Auckland2 June 2018
There are a lot of challenges working for this company. The service users are rewarding to work with. There is too muc h paperwork. Watch out for bullying.
Pros
Rewarding work
lonely
Support worker (Former Employee) –  Thames-Coromandel District, Waikato19 May 2018
hard work with looking after special needs clients. shopping for clients, assisting with laundry, cooking dishes and all the aspects of life. Not a difficult job but may be challenging
Pros
Enough work most days
Cons
Not enough support during weekends and holidays, (office closed)
Worst management I've come across in my entire working life.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Idea Hutt9 May 2018
Severe lack of communication between support workers and management . Zero respect from management for the support workers. Underskilled and poorly trained unprofessional support staff often working one on one with vulnerable service users. Back breaking soul destroying DOUBLE SHIFTS (24 hour shifts) called "rollover shifts". Just call them what they are!! A health and safety nightmare!
Changing work environment
Health Advisor (Current Employee) –  Timaru City, Canterbury28 February 2018
National restructuring has bought about disestablishment of many positions including that of Health Advisor and a huge degree of uncertainty and stress
Pros
Persons for whom we provide a service
Cons
No position certainty
One off but has generated more
Cultural Performing Arts Tutor (Former Employee) –  Manukau City, Auckland9 January 2018
The management were open and work specific. This enabled me to deliver their requirements easily without any miscommunication.

This originally was going to be a one off - but has generated more work. Start time yet to be decided by ourselves and the company.
Pros
Shared meals with them
A friendly and rewarding place to work.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Whangarei, Northland3 January 2018
A great place to work and if I was to return to New Zealand I would definitely consider working for them again. I found the job very rewarding and challenging at times. I found I was very quickly welcomed into the family of this organisation.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Split shifts
Loanly but rewarding
Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Petone, Wellington11 December 2017
I did this as a second job so only did about 10 hours per week. I really like the fact I could start early in the morning and then go back to do more time if required after my main job.
Meeting new clients was always hard but once I had meet them I enjoyed the work.
It was hard work but I enjoyed making the connection and gaining his trust so he felt comfortable with me.

Sorry I'm not sure of start and finish dates.