IDEA Services
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IDEA Services Employee Reviews for Support Worker

I enjoyed the work involved, especially supporting the people in my care. Learning from them, different personalities, but also the opportunity to continue learning and being trained within the company. I would definitely work for Idea again if circumstances allowed.
under valuedused and set up to failover worked no appreciation from managementquick to find faultstaff are quick to make other staff look weak find fault
Pros
Cons
very long isolated hours
I worked in Timaru branch and managers and staff over there were very helpful and supportive. Also, I experienced the best orientation. Fun loving and caring staff.
I worked in a vocational centre catering for high needs users. This is for largely immobile, non vocal clients. The staff put more time and energy into their own extended lunch breaks than they did client activities. A large percentage of the time they were on their phones or going out for cigarette breaks.Nobody took accountability when incidents occured. If I voiced up I was jumped on.Absolute toxic environment.
Would like to be based in a house close to home enjoy working with people to have standard living in the comunity and assisted with general life style enjoy a challenge to see positive results
Enjoyed working with idea services everything was great infact i didnt feel like i was working more doing something i enjoyed and got satisfaction from. Only thing i could say needed improvement would be staff dynamic..
An ineffective management that don't listen to complaints until someone is hurt (staff or service users) or dies. Not to mention the culture of bullying in the company to staff and service users. Publically, the company talk of improving their lives but in reality this is rarely the case. While service users are given care plans to achieve goals these are often restricted by funds or staff, which the company attempts to reduce at every opportunity.
I worked at Idea for 27 years and I experienced bullying and abuse by Managers and area managers who backed each other up with lies. They acted like the Gestapo. They used their 'power's to belittle you and make up complaints to intimidate and threaten your job. If you dare to report them or make a complaint they will make up lies to get rid of you. Worst years of my life working in
i enjoy working with them but job is insecure you may need to look for new job as they dont help in work permits otherwise its good i love working with my residents
The best workplace I have been too. People helping people with special needs. You have a great life ahead of you after taking some time off from work...seeing people with special needs go by is a great thing that gives you inner reward that no money can keep up with.
Pros
Free snacks, coffee and tea.
Cons
difficulty in communicating with service users
Good if you are a smoker and like looking at your cellphone whilst gossiping and finding faults in others when they work. Bad if you've got a strong can do attitude, as it won't be rewarded. Repeatative and soul destroying work such as cleaning snot off walls and asking residents to stop masterbating in public whilst giving into demands from service users. But you better ask them nicely as they've got rights and one of the staff smokers may lanch a compliant about you. Work place went through 13 staff in less than two years. The situation is too many service users per staff member, meaning all staff end up doing is cleaning and making meals for residents rather than empowering them and getting them involved with achieving goals.
Pros
Food
Cons
You might go insane Due to the depressing culture created by institutionlization
If you are a good genuine person then this job is for you. If you like to help and care about people. Otherwise, you won't have the patience and fortitude to do this job.
long shifts and lots of vacant hours.lots of perks provide but growth oppurtunities are very less. candidates who are looking for full time positions in caregiving must apply.
Supporting people with intellectual disabilities to become more independent and having there own life choices. I ran groups like music and football that part of the job was very fun and rewarding. When people have health issues and seeing how hard it can be day today for the families can be hard, but when you see the people happy and thanking for your hard work it is all worth it.
This job has/is a fun place to work. The people we support tho have a variety of physical and intellectual disabilities, can be the most fun loving people you know. Yes this job can be stressful, especially since i'm working in a high needs house, both with physical and intellectual challenges. I do a lot of personal cares, cooking, house work, paper work,giving medication etc, but also get to plan and enjoy day trips out, just taking them to get a haircut can be a fun outing. In this role you are are their staff, friend, emotional support, advicat and greatest cheerleader. Yes it can interfare with your personal life at times, but you are aware of that when you start. I have found my manager to be very supportive not only with work, but also when i have had personal issues. I have enjoyed my time here.
There are a lot of challenges working for this company. The service users are rewarding to work with. There is too muc h paperwork. Watch out for bullying.
Pros
Rewarding work
hard work with looking after special needs clients. shopping for clients, assisting with laundry, cooking dishes and all the aspects of life. Not a difficult job but may be challenging
Pros
Enough work most days
Cons
Not enough support during weekends and holidays, (office closed)
Severe lack of communication between support workers and management . Zero respect from management for the support workers. Underskilled and poorly trained unprofessional support staff often working one on one with vulnerable service users. Back breaking soul destroying DOUBLE SHIFTS (24 hour shifts) called "rollover shifts". Just call them what they are!! A health and safety nightmare!
Pros
A great place to work and if I was to return to New Zealand I would definitely consider working for them again. I found the job very rewarding and challenging at times. I found I was very quickly welcomed into the family of this organisation.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Split shifts
Management aren't very supportive of advancing staff in their roles. Would rather hire casuals than give current staff hours to live on. Always reviewing staff and services to find ways to save money and pay staff less. Management make lots of promises but very rarely deliver.
Pros
free meals
Cons
You need to work a lot of hours to survive, quite possible you will be attacked on the job by clients.
As a support worker my job is to support the person regardless of his or her race gender or culture.Be paitence when you at work .dont be stress which makes life harder for others. Take a break if you need to.