IDEA Services
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IDEA Services Employee Reviews

Working for Idea services
I enjoyed the work involved, especially supporting the people in my care. Learning from them, different personalities, but also the opportunity to continue learning and being trained within the company. I would definitely work for Idea again if circumstances allowed.
A friendly and rewarding place to work.
A great place to work and if I was to return to New Zealand I would definitely consider working for them again. I found the job very rewarding and challenging at times. I found I was very quickly welcomed into the family of this organisation.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Split shifts
Loanly but rewarding
I did this as a second job so only did about 10 hours per week. I really like the fact I could start early in the morning and then go back to do more time if required after my main job.
Meeting new clients was always hard but once I had meet them I enjoyed the work.

It was hard work but I enjoyed making the connection and gaining his trust so he felt comfortable with me.

Sorry I'm not sure of start and finish dates.
Average
Management aren't very supportive of advancing staff in their roles.
Would rather hire casuals than give current staff hours to live on.

Always reviewing staff and services to find ways to save money and pay staff less.

Management make lots of promises but very rarely deliver.
Pros
free meals
Cons
You need to work a lot of hours to survive, quite possible you will be attacked on the job by clients.
Good working place
I am taxi drivers and I have work with school student.I have done few course in unit Certificate for special needs.I have Four years experience handling special needs.l want to leave taxi driving and do a physical work .
Pros
Cons
9 hours or more
Be paitence
As a support worker my job is to support the person regardless of his or her race gender or culture.Be paitence when you at work .dont be stress which makes life harder for others. Take a break if you need to.
na
Most days were very repetitive and change was very difficult to obtain. Management was very challenging and at times (too often) abusive. Too many control freaks in that organisation for my taste and too many rules and regulation which are not necessary.
Pros
Having fun with service users on good days
Cons
management's power control issues
Excellent culture and fantastic employee support
I loved working at the head office for Idea Services/IHC. I was encouraged to broaden my skills and take on additional responsibilities with brilliant support from my line manager. The whole office had a relaxed atmosphere but everyone worked exceptionally hard to ensure deadlines were met to the best of our abilities. I would gladly work there again.
Pros
Lots of social events and morning tea's
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at IDEA Services?
Difficult, hard and dangerous work with little to no support or reward.
Extremely difficult job at the best of times. Bare minimum training, extremely stressful, long shifts. No real organisation, little support for staff (especially in stressful and difficult situations such as when clients become difficult, upset or violent)!

Extremely poor management performance and support; borderline illegal treatment of staff, dangerous work practices and culture of indifference to staff issues or problems.
Pros
Not that i've noticed.
Cons
Pretty much all of it.
hard but rewarding job
this job was hard work as the boy in my care was adhd as will as having austism,the rewards to see him grow and come out into the community and able to live,the company itself was not easy as there was no surport of area you could further in the company as they only allowed woman a promotion
Pros
see clients grow
Cons
company not surportive
Good workplace and nice staff
Introduce our client to the community even they had disability.and the management give you a chance to step up and they give the full support to our career.
Pros
free training
Lonely workplace
Not having back up from other staff members and lack of communication.
if you want a part time job it is good.

there is a few trainings you get both on and off the job
Interesting Job
Everyday is different
Treat everyone equal

Management is better now

Multicultural people working

Good team work

Working with different kind of intellectual people
Very rewarding and fulfilling job working with all degrees of disabilities
Especially loved working with children for 10 yrs and seeing them grow and achieve with the love and support of carers. Also the adults attained an excellent quality of life under the professional and empathetic care of support workers
Pros
Self rewarding work
Cons
Sleep overs were sometimes tiring
I enjoyed the Caring side of this job and the work colleagues alongside me which is what explains my longevity.
I didnt like the hypocrisy and politics within the company.There are Support workers and maybe two Managers however who are doing a wonderful job and not being appreciated.
Pros
Being genuinely" in tune" with the people I've supported .
Cons
Long hours and inconsistency
Good work place
You had to stay alert and grow eyes on the back of your head.. keeping the clients at the top of the list.. keeping them happy was the name of the game..
not fun
the person that i worked for was not very helpful. i had do lots of arguing to get what i was needing.i worked with families that had children with special.
Productive Workplace
Daily banking. Reconciling cashbook to bank statements.
Managing debtors and creditors. Working with management to provide monthly financial reports. Pay wages and salaries.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
At first it seems good then it becomes stressful
Busy days sometimes with out a lunch break, a lot of gossiping and assumptions are made, the hardest would be lack of resources. I enjoyed supporting the people with disabilities that was fun doing for those less fortunate then myself and the managers were ok could be better.
Pros
seeing the smiles of the people we supported
Cons
not orginised
Excellent team, shame about the management
The team I work with are excellent, they are what make the job bearable.

Organising relief for support workers who are sick or on annual leave.

Answering the phones and covering sick leave at short notice. Management are not very supportive or open to change.

The hardest part of the job is finding cover for sick leave when there is no one to cover. It is very stressful and hard work. Saturday and Sundays are worked one in every three weeks and some weeks you end up working seven days when you work the weekend.

The best part of the job are the people,
Cons
Rewarding work and enjoyable atmosphere
supporting people with high and complex needs to complete physical activities such as walking, sports, dancing and swimming.
Learned a great deal of patience and understanding of the different needs and abilities of others.

Support from management was great and leave was always given when requested.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the people i supported achieving more than they expected.