IDEA Services Employee Reviews

Good workplace and nice staff
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand13 February 2017
Introduce our client to the community even they had disability.and the management give you a chance to step up and they give the full support to our career.
Pros
free training
Lonely workplace
Support worker (Former Employee) –  Rotorua, Bay of Plenty30 January 2017
Not having back up from other staff members and lack of communication.
if you want a part time job it is good.
there is a few trainings you get both on and off the job
Interesting Job
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Hawkes Bay22 January 2017
Everyday is different
Treat everyone equal
Management is better now
Multicultural people working
Good team work
Working with different kind of intellectual people
Very rewarding and fulfilling job working with all degrees of disabilities
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Hawkes bay, New Zealand16 January 2017
Especially loved working with children for 10 yrs and seeing them grow and achieve with the love and support of carers. Also the adults attained an excellent quality of life under the professional and empathetic care of support workers
Pros
Self rewarding work
Cons
Sleep overs were sometimes tiring
I enjoyed the Caring side of this job and the work colleagues alongside me which is what explains my longevity.
Community Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington10 January 2017
I didnt like the hypocrisy and politics within the company.There are Support workers and maybe two Managers however who are doing a wonderful job and not being appreciated.
Pros
Being genuinely" in tune" with the people I've supported .
Cons
Long hours and inconsistency
Good work place
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Whangarei, Northland19 October 2016
You had to stay alert and grow eyes on the back of your head.. keeping the clients at the top of the list.. keeping them happy was the name of the game..
not fun
Home Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui26 January 2016
the person that i worked for was not very helpful. i had do lots of arguing to get what i was needing.i worked with families that had children with special.
Productive Workplace
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  New Plymouth, N17 January 2016
Daily banking. Reconciling cashbook to bank statements.
Managing debtors and creditors. Working with management to provide monthly financial reports. Pay wages and salaries.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
At first it seems good then it becomes stressful
Community Support Worker- Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Rotorua11 October 2015
Busy days sometimes with out a lunch break, a lot of gossiping and assumptions are made, the hardest would be lack of resources. I enjoyed supporting the people with disabilities that was fun doing for those less fortunate then myself and the managers were ok could be better.
Pros
seeing the smiles of the people we supported
Cons
not orginised
Excellent team, shame about the management
Workforce Facilitator, Shared Services (Current Employee) –  Hamilton1 September 2015
The team I work with are excellent, they are what make the job bearable.

Organising relief for support workers who are sick or on annual leave.
Answering the phones and covering sick leave at short notice. Management are not very supportive or open to change.
The hardest part of the job is finding cover for sick leave when there is no one to cover. It is very stressful and hard work. Saturday and Sundays are worked one in every three weeks and some weeks you end up working seven days when you work the weekend.

The best part of the job are the people,
Cons
Rewarding work and enjoyable atmosphere
Care support worker/sport coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tauranga, N24 August 2015
supporting people with high and complex needs to complete physical activities such as walking, sports, dancing and swimming.
Learned a great deal of patience and understanding of the different needs and abilities of others.
Support from management was great and leave was always given when requested.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the people i supported achieving more than they expected.
Great people to work with
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Paeroa, N19 July 2015
No two days the same.Can be hard work but always enjoyable.Good group of co-workers.Clients given chances to do either volunteer work or part time payed work
Pros
no two days the same
Not a supportive working environment
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton15 June 2015
The management team provided limited advancements within the organisation. There was no support in the kind of work we were doing. We were in a high risk environment and it made working in that environment very stressful everyday. The co-workers were great, we were all supportive of each other and thats what made going into work possible.
Idea Specialist Services had the nationwide contract for behaviour support for people with a disability.
Complex Support Advisor, (Former Employee) –  Kaitaia, Northland23 November 2014
They provided me with very good peer and supervision support as well as enrollment in extra-mural tertiary learning. I always felt supported and encouraged to achieve the best possible results for service users and the company. Unfortunately Idea lost the nationwide contract and so they could not then renew my individual contract.
The days were very busy gathering clinical evidence, talking to individuals and groups, and writing and evaluating reports.
I found this work very challenging and extremely enjoyable because I was really making a difference to the lives of people and their support network.
I learned how to gather the information needed in the most effective and efficient way and present it to a wide cross section of the community in simple language.
Pros
Support
Cons
Job security
Busy and challenging but rewarding
Foster Carer (Current Employee) –  Paraparaumu, N16 March 2014
Wake Foster Son up, Ensure he has his medication.
Help him to prepare for school. Get him off to school. Take him to Counsellor/Psychiatrist/Doctor/Meeting with Teachers etc.

Take care of his holistic needs. Physical, Mental, Spiritual, Whanau.
Pros
Watching him grow and learn and blossom into a fine young man, witnessing his milestones and supporting him through good and bad times.
Cons
The money for this 24/7 job is insufficient, Carers have not had a pay rise in more than 20 years, dealing with difficult and sometimes violent behaviour.
It was good
One on one (Former Employee) –  Whangarei, Northland16 March 2014
I enjoyed the job the people and going every day.
I liked the diversity of our clients and the type of work we done to help maintain their life as best as we could.
Pros
Good friends
Cons
Hard work
It is fun
care giver (Former Employee) –  Petone, Wellington9 December 2013
i loved working with the clients i had challenging clients at times but with means it works out. I met there needs' happy with results from family. Learning too all the time. Co-workers excellent. I was on a holiday programme with the youth very enjoyable. For me the hardest part was the hours as they were getting less hours.
Pros
enjoying having lunch together.
Cons
not enough hours
Good company
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Dunedin21 September 2013
This is a good company to work for the management are easy going and you can talk to them when you need to
Cons
good hours
fun placewith opportunities to progress
community support worker level 3 (Former Employee) –  dunedin city11 October 2012
I enjoyed being part of a team in a house caring for five clients with intellectual disability and some challenging behaviors. the work was enjoyable and self rewarding and one needs to think on their feet, as part of my duties I worked three sleepovers per week. I feel in this line of work it works well if you are part of a strong team that is on the same page and supports each other so to better benefit the service users in our care. I feel their was no hard part to the job as long as peoples are willing to be flexible with extra hours unscheduled to support clients at any appointments that arise.The most enjoyed part of my work was in seeing peoples move forward and progress in idependance and daily living skills
Pros
meals on duty with clients
Cons
unscheduled hours
Having the compassion working along side those that share the same principles that share a common bond. In working with special needs.
Team Leader Level 4 (Former Employee) –  Sth East ,Manukau City, Auckland , New Zealand27 June 2012
To always be positive when you start your day. Having a Plan helps to set your daily schedule in what is required. This brings into mind those that come into contact with you during your employement.
Challenges are always there its about how you deal with the challenges that brings results.

What I have learnt within the Disability Sector is to be Patient, Positive.
As every day is never the same it brings with it new skills, ideas; ,barriers to over come. It makes you focuss on whats ahead and what you can achieve to grow yourself.

I have had the pleasure of working along some great managerial workers who have shared a common bond with many workers including myself. The job can be very challenging in a supportive role to any managerial position. Having the right tools, co-workers that have the eagerness to strive can bring results are a blessing.
Having the ability to effectively communicate together can become challenging at times.. But having the right frame of mind in a professional manner would always bring the end results.

Being a Team Player is very important in any employement role that you share with your co-workers. Having the ability to communicate effectly,respond in a time manner shows commitment to all concerned.
As any Team Player, Co- Worker they want to achieve results, have the support within their working enviroment, personal. This brings results for all concerned.

The hardest part of the job there is many to respond to. But it is how you cope with the issuess thats the challenge. I find challenges to be rewarding. They make you think outside the square,
  more... think beyond. As I belive there is always a solution. You just have to seek out the answer to find the clue. Now thats not hard its just using your common sense.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to know how to laugh along the way even if the road seems all beleek. Share ,find the support that you require before it becomes a burden. Remember to have fun lifes to short to miss.
Pros
being in a family enviroment within a disabilty sector brings rewards, sharing time with them.
Cons
working long hours, the wages