Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Employee Reviews

3.3Work–Life Balance

Showing all 3,850 reviews

Good Work Environment

The people there were very kind and understanding! As a cashier (under 18) I would mainly ring people up for non fabric items and to put away unused fabric. If you are under 18 you cannot cut fabric which is a big part of what people come there for. While it was nice working there, there wasn’t much to do since people were mainly buying fabric.

Pros

Very nice management

Cons

Not very much to do

flexible hours but only ever part time work available

When I was hired on in Nov. 2020 I started at 9 an hour but at part time it doesn't add up to a lot. The turnover is high due to the hours changing and there isn't a consistent schedule. Corporate likes to tell us to cut hours despite already being a skeleton crew and I wouldn't be surprised if the store I'm working at closes from poor management not just on the management of the store, but also the district management. We get told to make due but with rarely any room for current stock, and no accommodations to remedy that, it can feel exhausting. We're grossly understaffed and sometimes I feel like I'm on a sinking ship

Pros

Good employee discount (30% off), flexible hours, creative environment

Cons

no benefits, pretty much part time only, poor pay

The company itself is good in theory, but the location I worked at had terrible management.

The store manager was a terrible person to work for. I worked so hard at that store and never felt appreciated by my manager. The assistant manager was wonderful and supportive, she was a great person to work for.The job itself isn't too bad. Working in a fun, crafty environment was happy, but the management was so toxic that morale was low. The store is so unorganized and poorly run that trying to figure out how to clean up the mess left behind by management was a daily struggle.

Pros

Employee Discount, Friendly Coworkers

Cons

Poorly organized management, Toxic work environment

Find something else.

The only positive I will have is the scheduling. Negatives are the pay and tasks. You are not paid nearly enough for the tasks you’re expected to do. If you have coworkers that are lazy and do nothing, you get to still work hard and be paid poorly, and take on added tasks. Highly unfair environment for a hard working person!The discount isn’t even something to be happy about. You can order with the app and usually get 25% off compared to the employee discount of 30%.

Pros

Scheduling

Cons

Pay, workload, lazy coworkers, management

The pay sucks!

I've been at Joann for a little over a year now and I love my coworkers. They are awesome and funny people. The job isn't bad either, fun sometimes actually, but the pay sucks. I do alot of tasks (e.g., register, cut-counter, unload truck, stocking, planogram resets) but only get paid a little over minimum wage. The expectations for the team members are ridiculous for the amount of pay that you get. Team members can't even get the benefits that the job offers because they are only for full time employees and Joann only hires people for part time.

Pros

Great coworkers, good work environment

Cons

Horrible pay and hours

Fun workplace. Customers always happy to be there making life easier for all. They come to shop where they find thier inspiration.

I have been there for 8.5 years. Due to the minimum wage increase I am now working as a manager for only .25 cents more then regular employees..I lost my dollar. I run the store when the SM is gone for .25 more cents. Unfair wage treatment is causing me to look for a new job.

Always busy

Always plenty of work. Pay is decent. Rotating management makes it difficult sometimes. Only a handful of full time positions available. Most support team members are part time.

Poor work environment with a little incentive to succeed.

Was Hired on the spot, thrown to the wolves without any training. Lowest morale of any job I’ve had. Management couldn’t care less. The company doesn’t really give their employees well being any thought.

Pros

Can’t think of anything

Cons

Expensive benefits, poor culture, extremely rude customers.

Very happy

Satisfied with working here. Everyone was nice and management always helped me whenever I needed help. I was always provided ample resources whenever I needed support.

What can I say

Coworkers are amazing. But favoritism plays a big role here. And doesn't pay enough but has high expectations from corporate and management. They put a lot of stress on the employees and tell you to do one thing then turn around and go back on their policy.

Creative customers and terrible management

It is nice helping customers with their creative needs, but the company has a steady flow of terrible management. They don't require any employees to have any creative talent or knowledge (which is reflected in the terrible pay) but want them to be able to help with all fabric needs (with NO training) and customer questions. Hours are always cut despite a never ending to do list. They will preach about taking breaks but then only have two employees in the store at a time, making breaks next to impossible. Be prepared to not understand their ridiculous and sneaky coupon system and the arguments with customers (who also don't understand).

Pros

Creative customers Employee discount

Cons

Short hours, Management, Lack of training, Inconsistent hours, Low pay, Overpriced products to makeup for coupons

It’s just FINE. Not great not horrible, just fine

No room for advancements because you’re only chance at becoming a key holder is if one of the existing key holders are leaving. Hours were extremely cut and more people were being hired. Sometimes I was scheduled to only one shift (4-5 hours) a week, and the new employees were being scheduled more hours. Be ready to be a punching bag, janitor, and a warehouse worker. Customers get so passionate about their coupons, they’re sometimes ruthless, there’s no designated person to clean the bathrooms and sweep the floors, and if you’re lucky they’ll forget to schedule you at 5 am to unload the truck and unpack everything from the boxes

Pros

You learn a lot because of customers and their projects, 30% employee discount off anything, You work with decent people

Cons

Understaffed, over worked and under paid, You’re constantly asked to cover peoples shifts because the new employees are unreliable, Customers get ANGRY

Love the job but hate corporate management and lack of accountability here.

If you're enthusiastic about crafts/fabric and love a high paced work environment with lots of variety, this place is amazing. I LOVED the job. However there is an INSANE lack of accountability for underperforming members of management who create problems and an uncomfortable work environment. No matter how far up the corporate ladder you go with these complaints, nothing is done about it. I was also expected to work insane amounts and accomplish way more than was reasonable for even a high performing employee. There was never any catching up and it was honestly just a poorly organized, drama filled nightmare. There's a reason that their retention rate is so low. No matter how much you love the job, eventually your back is going to break.

Pros

Learn a ton, super fun job, inclusive work environment

Cons

Extremely low pay, poor management, poor corporate presence, low accountability, understaffing is encouraged

I mean, it's corporate retail

Underpaid, understaffed, soulless corporate retail work. Everyone disappeared to the back when I had a long line. No one answered calls for help over the radio. Management always looked for ways to get out of work, or for reasons to punish underlings. Corporate only cared about the bottom line, eg putting posters all over the back about how it's your job to catch people stealing, time clock fraud, etc. Unpredictable schedule with no flexibility. Terrible pay. Entitled customers. I actually can't think of a single good thing about it.

Pros

some coworkers were alright, one manager was helpful

Cons

everything else

Good place to work/bad corporate people to work for

The store i worked for was amazing and the team i got to work with day after day were like a family they genuinely cared for one another,good work was always seen and mentioned by each other. The only issue is the corporate manager we had. She was the reason not only myself but 4 other team members and leaders left. She sets them up to fail and doesn’t listen to anyone when they ask for help.

Pros

Discount is 30% everything.

Cons

Higher ups do not listen.

pays the bills. minimum wage and worked every holiday

pays the bills. minimum wage and worked every holiday. great for part time job for a college student or after school in high school. my shifts were 5 hours with mandatory clock out 30 min lunch. not sure if it's still like that

Easy job but no hours

At my location there is barely any hours available. The most I’ve worked so far is 10 a week. It’s awful. The job is easy tho. Easy to learn and do. Managers are nice.

Pros

Easy job. Good employee discount

Cons

No hours

Company is not competitive with IT needs of todays market

Huge disconnect between corporate and store level. Even with employee shortages, call offs , the District Manager will not ask for shorten hours, this would allow for safe staffing and improved customer service. Only worried about self and profits. Not enough fair and consistent concern for management, team members and customers.

Pros

Mostly great team members

Cons

Expensive benefits and unrealistic corporate expectations with store level, especially concerning Covid issues

Really great coworkers, fun tasks, but management was questionable.

Fun coworkers and easy tasks. It was not difficult learning all the duties and I was comfortable within 2 weeks of working there. The key holders are awesome and very understanding. Customers were friendly most of the time and it was really fun talking to people who were passionate about their projects. Overall, I never felt overwhelmed by customers or tasks. However, pay is almost nothing and it's hard to come by hours if you are not a favorite. Management was always on certain employees' backs about calling in but favorites would call in all the time without any consequences. This resulted in others constantly being called in on days off. They say they are flexible but many student workers were constantly being scheduled on class days. Additionally, they want you to give a two weeks notice for days off but will forget about your request and schedule you anyways. Management has tried to scare and intimidate their employees.

Pros

Fun coworkers, Key holders are great, Store discount, Meeting passionate people, Time passes by fast

Cons

Pay, Hours, High turnover, Management

Great staff, wonderful discount!

Upper management terrible. They have NO idea how their decisions impact the store teams and the customers. Unrealistic expectations. Absolute minimum payroll hours given. You have to run the register or cutting counter and still try to work on floor sets or sale sets and have only 1 other person in the store with you. On a very very good night you may have 2 people in the store with you.Very little to no support from DM unless you happen to be one of his favorites. Then of course you can do no wrong.If you decide to work here you will be mentally and physically exhausted and stressed to the absolute maximum.

Pros

Great discount!

Cons

See above.

Honestly not a great place.

Unrealistic expectations, no support/guidance/resources. District manager and upwards are so out of touch with how things work at a store level. They can't even see that the expectations they set with the hours given are practically impossible. They also expect high output from people they're barely paying minimum wage to, when other places are hiring well above minimum wage. Wouldn't be an issue if they weren't so rude about it, and consistently did not provide help/support when asked for. Overall, they simply do not care about the lower levels. Difficult to fire incompetent employees. Allows employees to be rude and awful to their teammates without consequence. Been here for 3+ years, I've stayed because I love the customers and teaching.

Pros

I mean, good employee discount.

Cons

No real structure for training, basically learn as you go, People who don't perform adequately pretty much don't have any consequences, Employees are allowed to be awful to other employees without consequence, Expectations vs resources is very much imbalanced.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6