KiwiRail
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

KiwiRail Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Was an amazing place to work and was very easy to get along with most people. Also learnt a lot about logistics as I had never worked within logistics before I really enjoyed it and would not mind at all doing it again.Most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you have fulfilled your customers wishes and have been able to supply service for them in a reasonable time.
Movies big smoko room bbqs
Would love to work for them again but I'm now in Perth moved here as my second oldest son took his life so was in a dark place the last couple off years but now found balance to
Be honest, own up to your mistakes.
Kiwirail is a great company to work for, safety is number 1,
Look out for everyone around you as everyone is entitled to go home safe at the end of the day
great management and team
Great salary
great management and work colleagues

job safety and career progression

Highly recommend. learnt alot about team management and team culture
Choice as!
Loved working here! Mean job, mean boys mean money! Chur! Mean feeds and fun as with all the boys. The travelling was awesome as too got to see some of the country! Chur to that!
Pros
Good Money
Cons
not a good family life balance but was good
Productive and enjoyable Enviroment
I found working for them very rewarding and i was always learning something new all the time.The Management was always easy to approach and talk to you.
Pros
Great bunch of fellow employees and employers to work with
Cons
Early morning starts
Ever changing environment
The company is vast and diverse on many levels. As a graduate track/civil engineer my day to day tasks consisted working with senior engineers and management staff design and managing the projects which we would then release to the sub contractors or field staff to manage once the package was complete and ready for construction.
Pros
Healthy thinking lifestyle
Cons
rapid change and insifficient set standards
Exciting and Productive
No one day is ever the same. People are fantastic; support each other and give each other respect.
Culture is very diverse.

Be proactive.

Hardest part of the job is to say 'no'!
Pros
Lots of activity
Cons
No drinking in the place
Was a fun place to work
Would still be there if the company hadn't focused on a reconstruction on depleting positions which created an environment of work overload for staff.
This put a lot of pressure on staff including overtime to complete the tasks given
Pros
Birthdays recognised
Cons
Unexpected completion times
Kiwirail
Our environment at work is energetic, friendly and motivated. I was very fortunately to build experience in most of the department of KiwiRail and also trained staff in every business units within KiwiRail.
Everyone is will to assist if you new, the management is very relaxed as long as you do your work in the time you require (8 hours) in flexi hours. We do not only give 8 hour as we happy in our environment and give the company much more.

Everyone in the office works as a team. The hardest part about my job is that we do not have coverage if we off on leave or ill.

Waking up and knowing I am working to achieve one step closer to the deadlines and is happy being there.
Pros
stability, option of working from home, Flexi hours, offer discounts at certain shops, have updated technology to assist no matter were you are in the country.
Cons
no plan in place for coverage if you gone on leave or sick
Amazing
Great people, excellent pay, thorough training, staff backup. overall I would love to go back. Uniforms are even fitted for you
Pros
Meals, sailing to picton and back
Worked 8 hours a day and attended after hour call backs.
I worked at numerous sites around the country during my 48 years in the rail industry.
Worked along side some great people.
Pros
Always plenty of training for new equipment.
Cons
Keeping up with younger staff
Assist transport of public, and business
I Enjoy working in a Job which relevant to my experiences.

Working as a team

Good management

Good Long hours working

Good work place
Pros
Good and free food
Cons
Good wages due to the long working hours
Very diverse place to work
There are so many areas within KiwiRail, and as long as your process the drive, initiative and ambition to grow they offer many diverse directions/areas and such.
Pros
big discount on travel
Productive Fun working environment
Love working with people from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures, I have learnt so much and gained qualifications through Interislander as they give you the opportunity to succeed. You get to meet some of the most amazing people and thats what I love about the job because no two days are the same. I guess the only downside for me was getting seasickness but I over come that by keeping myself busy and also the shift work as I have a young family but its all worth it in the end.. The experience for the customers has to be 100% theres never a wrong customer a customers always right. The work environment is outstanding you get along with everyone even the captain.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Shift Work Hours
Variable workplace with loads going on
I would describe a typical day at work for me, was reactive. No matter how well planned I was, the first phone call of the day would normally turn my good planning upside down.

The hardest part of the job was no recognition for work well done and as a result no advancement.

The best part of the job, was the Senior and Line Management and staff that I interacted with.
Pros
70% travel discount on trains
Payroll
I currently process timesheets for the pay cycle every fortnight.
This takes 2 days to complete.