KiwiRail

KiwiRail Employee Reviews

New Zealand23 reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

There were lots of unhappy people, bad vibes and the project I was on was badly managed, training was really bad, didn't enjoy it.

Quick training explanation by team leader then we 3 were left to figure things out ourselves. No real support from team leader but plenty of criticism if you got things wrong. Because of recent restructuring there were lots of unhappy people, bad vibes and the project I was on was badly managed, training was really bad, didn't enjoy it.

Pros

good morning teas and nice old building to work in

Cons

lack of initial training/support afterwards, project badly managed, no work which was predicted because of lack of communication with different managers.

Slow processes, mostly friendly environment

The process from training school to getting signed off was painfully slow. Infact over 6 weeks on the yard without attaining even 1 sign off of the 60 I needed. Good training pay though but disorganized, or rather not enough trainers available. This was also the case for one of my training school colleagues. Out of 10 I'd give kiwirail a 3

Pros

Double time Sundays

Cons

Shift work

Great pay not the hardest work you will do.

Not that hard of a job and very good pay as the union is so strong. Hard to lose your job. Allowances are almost a second wage. Very repeditive job not much changes and little in the way of perks and most managers are thick or cant speak english or are bus chuckers, but they will only stay a few years then move on.

Pros

Mint wages and Allowances

Cons

Management and not rocket or challenging work altho some people higher up are challenging

Initial working conditions were excellent. Change of management led to disgruntled workers.

Good management were replaced by narcissistic corrupt managers making the working conditions unbearable. Top heavy management recruiting friends into positions they weren’t suitable for. No leadership, bullying and no accountability from managers towards long and medium term staff. Working conditions deteriorated and health & safety compromised.

Pros

Penal rates/crew

Cons

Incompetent management/no accountability/no support

Found all of that in the day to day banter while getting the job done.

Variety of jobs, routes start and finish times. Working to a diary, a timescale and the satisfaction of a job done well. The camaraderie of the staff was excellent and my manager was very approachable and supportive and had an open door policy .

Pros

Variety to the job.

Cons

Shift work and shift patterns.

Very competitive and challenging role

It is important to keep updated with the Company expectations and work in advance as it was base on Career Progressions Plans, working closely with Managers,Team leaders, Contractors and Staff. Keeping updated the records for all the South Island.

Pros

Breakfast at provided by the Company

Cons

Very busy and challenging

Fun place to work

Was an amazing place to work and was very easy to get along with most people. Also learnt a lot about logistics as I had never worked within logistics before I really enjoyed it and would not mind at all doing it again.Most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you have fulfilled your customers wishes and have been able to supply service for them in a reasonable time.

Movies big smoko room bbqs

Would love to work for them again but I'm now in Perth moved here as my second oldest son took his life so was in a dark place the last couple off years but now found balance to

Be honest, own up to your mistakes.

Kiwirail is a great company to work for, safety is number 1, Look out for everyone around you as everyone is entitled to go home safe at the end of the day

great management and team

Great salary great management and work colleagues job safety and career progression Highly recommend. learnt alot about team management and team culture

Choice as!

Loved working here! Mean job, mean boys mean money! Chur! Mean feeds and fun as with all the boys. The travelling was awesome as too got to see some of the country! Chur to that!

Pros

Good Money

Cons

not a good family life balance but was good

Productive and enjoyable Enviroment

I found working for them very rewarding and i was always learning something new all the time.The Management was always easy to approach and talk to you.

Pros

Great bunch of fellow employees and employers to work with

Cons

Early morning starts

Ever changing environment

The company is vast and diverse on many levels. As a graduate track/civil engineer my day to day tasks consisted working with senior engineers and management staff design and managing the projects which we would then release to the sub contractors or field staff to manage once the package was complete and ready for construction.

Pros

Healthy thinking lifestyle

Cons

rapid change and insifficient set standards

Exciting and Productive

No one day is ever the same. People are fantastic; support each other and give each other respect. Culture is very diverse. Be proactive. Hardest part of the job is to say 'no'!

Pros

Lots of activity

Cons

No drinking in the place

Was a fun place to work

Would still be there if the company hadn't focused on a reconstruction on depleting positions which created an environment of work overload for staff. This put a lot of pressure on staff including overtime to complete the tasks given

Pros

Birthdays recognised

Cons

Unexpected completion times

Kiwirail

Our environment at work is energetic, friendly and motivated. I was very fortunately to build experience in most of the department of KiwiRail and also trained staff in every business units within KiwiRail. Everyone is will to assist if you new, the management is very relaxed as long as you do your work in the time you require (8 hours) in flexi hours. We do not only give 8 hour as we happy in our environment and give the company much more. Everyone in the office works as a team. The hardest part about my job is that we do not have coverage if we off on leave or ill. Waking up and knowing I am working to achieve one step closer to the deadlines and is happy being there.

Pros

stability, option of working from home, Flexi hours, offer discounts at certain shops, have updated technology to assist no matter were you are in the country.

Cons

no plan in place for coverage if you gone on leave or sick

Amazing

Great people, excellent pay, thorough training, staff backup. overall I would love to go back. Uniforms are even fitted for you

Pros

Meals, sailing to picton and back

Worked 8 hours a day and attended after hour call backs.

I worked at numerous sites around the country during my 48 years in the rail industry. Worked along side some great people.

Pros

Always plenty of training for new equipment.

Cons

Keeping up with younger staff

Assist transport of public, and business

I Enjoy working in a Job which relevant to my experiences. Working as a team Good management Good Long hours working Good work place

Pros

Good and free food

Cons

Good wages due to the long working hours

Very diverse place to work

There are so many areas within KiwiRail, and as long as your process the drive, initiative and ambition to grow they offer many diverse directions/areas and such.

Pros

big discount on travel

Productive Fun working environment

Love working with people from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures, I have learnt so much and gained qualifications through Interislander as they give you the opportunity to succeed. You get to meet some of the most amazing people and thats what I love about the job because no two days are the same. I guess the only downside for me was getting seasickness but I over come that by keeping myself busy and also the shift work as I have a young family but its all worth it in the end.. The experience for the customers has to be 100% theres never a wrong customer a customers always right. The work environment is outstanding you get along with everyone even the captain.

Pros

Meeting new people

Cons

Shift Work Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at KiwiRail. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• KiwiRail