Kmart
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Kmart Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

I loved working at kmart it was a great store to work at and a great company. The only down fall is that they were always understaffed on nightshift. Everyone that's works there were great people who were always there for me. They were like my family.
I worked at Kmart over the Christmas period so it was really busy with customers left right and centre. I enjoyed this as I love to keep busy and help people so at the time Kmart was the right place for me as I got to meet a lot of people and help others as well which is what I do.
A Typical day at Kmart starts with a team talk discussing the health and safety focus for the week, everyone's rostered positions and then a little work .
A day at 8203 Porirua does not come without it's challenges. At the end of the day it's not about you but giving the customer a great shopping experience. Team work also
Overall there were great people to work with, but management needed a bit more work. A typical day at work was a busy one but was mainly in the stockroom sorting out loads.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
Unfair hours and mistreated at times
Working for Kmart taught me customer service and the importance of multi-tasking. It was my first experience at everything, working at cash tills, customer service, merchandising to knowing the difference between clothing brands to products etc. It was an amazing experience and every day was busy so I did feel under pressure at times but it was good for me. I learnt fast!
Pros
5% discounts
Cons
N/a
I did learn a bit at kmart however training was very sporadic and limited to short amounts of time .I enjoyed learning about stock and different aspects of this..
Pros
%5 discount
Cons
treated like a number
Dealing with customers on a daily basis helps you deal with many things for example; * fear- if you are not used to talking to people. * communication - how well you communicate to people makes all the difference between making a sale or not. * open mind - helps to be open minded because no 2 days are the same.
Pros
10% off products purchased there
Cons
Long hours and have to work all public holidays !
I think I learned how to hone my customer service skills. There was a family vibe at Kmart, and I still keep in touch with some of them after I had resigned. The management was good, but you did not get a 'formal' training of how things worked (besides induction) especially when its close to seasonal periods ie Christmas where we would be swarmed with customers. Some store managers were better than others. The hours despite long were definitely higher than the minimum wage (before April 2018) so you got paid for your efforts. Hours though, dependent on your own relationship with management.
Pros
Good Hours, Acceptable Starting Wage
Cons
Needs more training of new staff members
I learned kind of Products and how to place it on the shelves.How to work on Teel and know how to calm the customers down when theyre angry about the products that they are gonna buy it
Pros
Discounts on clothes
Cons
N/a
I love working in retail. I’ve met so many new people and I love helping customers when they need assistance. I love meeting new people and talking in front of a crowd.
Its a good experience as i have never worked in retail before also a good feeling helping customers find what they are looking for and if our store does not have the item then we will ring other Kmart's to see if they have the item.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Lots of cleaning
Overall, I enjoyed my time working at Kmart. The managers and team members were friendly and approachable and the job was relatively stress-free with good. There were issues with personal life conflicting with work, where I felt let down by the company, but I believe they are taking steps to be more employee orientated.
Pros
Good pay, friendly team
Cons
Inadequate employee support
Variety of duties. Got on well with other staff. Busy at times. Good selection of clothing. Great management and supervisors. My supervisor was great.
Pros
Big staff room and locker room
Cons
I like my work at Kmart and try my best to enjoy each day I work there. The team works well to get jobs done and always help out each other. Everyone generally is positive and respectful toward eachother. I really enjoy working with others and getting to know people more. Kmart has also helped me to socialize with customers and my confidence is growing and I am beginning to enjoy customers then being shy.
General customer service good interaction with both staff and management. Very easy going environment. every one worked together as a team.
It was first learning in the Auckland, busy checkout operator where I was very comfortable with the supportive team. Co workers were very friendly and supportive.
Pros
busy day
Cons
customer long queues
A typical day in my workplace involves interacting with customers ensuring that they have a great shopping experience, cash handling, sales, stock replenishment, housekeeping, maintaining health and safety at all times, liasing with staff and management and problem solving. I have learnt that the customer is priority in all fields of business. I overcome obstacles should they arise, provide customers with outstanding customer service thereby ensuring their return.
Pros
Effective communication, Regular Breaks and a safe & enjoyable working environment.
I would great my customers with a smile. I learnt to ask my customers questions, this enabled me to help them find what they were looking for faster. I enjoyed working as part of a team, i found my management team very helpful.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
only casuals hours
i did a variety of jobs at Kmart and so a typical day would be having a team huddle before every shift we would do stretches and be told what we are doing for our shift. I learnt a lot at Kmart but the most helpful skill I learnt was how to communicate with the customers. I enjoyed the company of all the kmart co-workers.