Lidl Employee Reviews for Customer Assistant

Found 193 reviews matching the search See all 4,374 reviews
14 years of Experience with Lidl as duty manager and customer assistance
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry18 August 2019
Lidl is great place to Work, I have learned a lot from Lidl, How to deal with people, how to work in different department, Experience as a duty manager, office, cashier, bakery, shop-floor, all general duties, we work as a team, you can workout your shift with the store manager if you’re not happy with your hours, I can’t say Hardest part of the Job because no job is easy, the most enjoyable part of the job when I got 500€ Lidl vouchers
Good pay but not worth it
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom8 August 2019
They pay a good hourly rate but it’s not worth it for the amount of stress/pressure you’re put under on a daily basis. The more you do the more they expect from you which isn’t fair when you’re clearly trying your best and it’s never good enough. Working for lidl has proven to me that money can’t make you happy
Very Good Pay, Totally Unreachable Standards.
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bangor, Gwynedd7 August 2019
I've been working at Lidl for approx. 7 months and I've had several pay rises, from my starting wage of 8.50 to my current wage of 10.26. I am on a 25-hour contract however I have plenty of opportunity for extra hours, as it's very easy to swap shifts with a colleague or to arrange time off with your manager. However, this job is over the top when it comes to workloads, shifts and work to life balance. When I first started, the rota would change almost daily and you'd think you've had a day off and get an angry call from your boss and if you happen to have plans they'll let you know you've let the team down. Other than this, the workplace isn't too bad, certain managers are very nice and certain managers are an absolute nightmare. The store manager at the store I was in is a wonderful person who gets along with their entire team and isn't impossibly strict, that strict attitude mainly comes from their superiors and the people way up the corporate ladder. I've reached a point recently where after 8 hours non-stop on the till (although that is sometimes punctuated with a break or a chance to stand up and stretch the legs) I've come to the conclusion that everything you're asked to do is just impossible given the timeframe they give you. Retail definitely isn't the industry for me, however, this could be the perfect job for someone who doesn't mind sweating heaps to meet very short timeframes in stocking, or being ready to drop everything to sit on the til for however long at a moments notice.
Good and Bad
customer assisstant (Former Employee) –  pembroke dock5 August 2019
although the perks of this job were very good such as pension schemes, holidays and pay rates, Management were not watched close enough and took frustrations out on staff. I found that in this particular branch the line management fostered a environment of fear and not encouragement, such as being rota'd to work hours i couldn't truly commit to because of transport issues even though i had made this clear to the line manager at the time.
The work place culture was toxic and i didnt feel "part of a team" which this company seems to want to pride themselves on, and was made to find cover for my shifts if i was sick even though this was managements job to do so.
Pros
pension scheme, regular breaks, holidays, living wage
Cons
long hours, management, toxic work place culture
Decent place of Employment.
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ipswich31 July 2019
Only thing that kept me here was decent hours given and a good wage per hour also the progression and other job roles you can take on within the store. Other than this always short staffed, they expect you to live and breathe work and sometimes the hours can be up to 10 hours. Earliest start is 5am also.
Pros
Good Salary per Hour, Good Progression Within Job
Cons
Long hours, Always short staffed
Fun workplace Great management
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buckie31 July 2019
Management here is fantastic, they consider your capabilities when making shifts and even come to consult you if they're not sure. The staff make an amazing work space, with great banter, and an easy going relationship with each other.
Pros
Good discount, free lunch, good staff
Cons
Work is extremely physical, hard to keep up at times
Hardship
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ireland30 July 2019
If you're not polish, you're an outsider. Never trained. phone calls and texts everyday to cover shifts from staff that called in 'sick'. Often ignored by managers for days if i didn't cover these shifts. No work life balance as i worked every weekend for several months. Five 5 o'clock morning starts in a row. Transferred me to a different store further away from i live without asking.
Good place to work for
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire29 July 2019
Really good place to work, excellent for gaining experience.
Very friendly and helpful staff, good store managers.
I learned a lot, and my salary is going up twice a year.
Bad
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tidworth29 July 2019
I reviewed Lidl, Tidworth as "GOOD" because of the staff and how they treated you. But Lidl itself (Company) is absolutely bad. They really don't care for you, and really expect you to do certain jobs in unrealistic times with three staff in the whole shop. If I could, I would give -1 Star but i can't.
Pros
Food Inside the Shop
Love lidl.
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dublin29 July 2019
Lidl is a great place to work I’ve worked there for the past year. Pay is very good. It’s a fast paste job you need to have some strength to lift heavy boxes and pull big pallets and it’s a very early start.
Dont do it!!!
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Droitwich, Worcestershire28 July 2019
Nothing good about this place, managers just try and push you around and don't like it if you answer back.
Targets are not realistic.
Spoken down to all the time.
Have witnessed bullying by managers to female staff.
Advice - don't take the job they will destroy you.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Bad clueless managers.
Great team
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Driffield, East Riding of Yorkshire23 July 2019
Management work really hard, so count on each staff member to do there bit in the team. The job is hard but they do tell you that right from the start. It's like a little family, everyone is so welcoming. Great place to work :)
Pros
The teamwork
Cons
High stock - I am short!
Great and Professional work place.
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Naas, County Kildare17 July 2019
Really enjoy working for Lidl, great people, great management, also great money, cant complain about hours.. You want part Time or full Time its dosent matter everything is organised well for Your needs.
Highly recomended!
Productive workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bourne13 July 2019
At Lidl you have to have a strong head on your shoulders to cope with all the jobs there are to do. In general, if you want to do a particular skill then the management will do their best to help you achieve that. Some days will be long and some days will be short but each day will be busy.
Bullies
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seaforth12 July 2019
My interview seemed too good to be true and it was! Told i would never work later than 11pm, ended up finishing at 1am-2am most nights as 3 staff are expected to replenish the whole store!! The physical demands are ridiculous! 6ft pallets to be put out in 15 mins?! The management are the most unproffesional i have EVER worked with. Group chats on whatssap were set up for staff to be humiliated if there qork wasn't up to the ridiculous standard that is unrealisticly set. I was swore at my staff and put down. I reported this to the area manager and HQ with evidence and nothing was ever done! I was told it would be looked into and that was that!!! I am not the only member who experienced this. Hours are given to those who are as nasty as management as they get on well. Only plus sides were good money but really not worth it!!!!
Pros
good pay
Cons
too long to list!!
.its not great working for this company
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athy, County Kildare10 July 2019
I don't want to review lidl, terrible at staffing and senior management don't step up, many other companies offer higher wages too. Also it's more of a work your way up to nothing kinda iob, basic contracted hours are only 20hours a week over 7 days .....
Not for me
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Ilford9 July 2019
Money is Really good
Staff member are brilliant and hard working

Management don't respect staff member
No work life balance
No support form higher management
They can change your contract when ever they want
Long hour
You will never finish your shift on time because all the time pupil calling sick because of over work.
Pros
Money
Cons
Because they pay you more they don't give any dam about any employe
Expect too much from you
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ireland9 July 2019
Long shifts , never get out on time , left on tills for 10/12 hours a day not very friendly , great wage is probably the only good thing about working for them
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Long hours, never out on time
Awful
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow6 July 2019
Management are very pushy with speed and you are expected to do the job of about 3 people due to not having enough staff on each shift. The management team are constantly changing stores so no consistency to build a rapport
I love my job!
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birkenhead22 June 2019
2 days are never the same. On and off the shop floor and tills as and when your called for, helping customers, speaking to different people all the time, it's a great place to be. During my interview I was asked what hours would suit me around childcare, then when given the job they accommodated the hours for me which helped alot. Staff welcome you like you've been there for years. Lots of ways on how to progress to the next level and the managers will help you get there. Targets are set in place to company standard which can be difficult but not impossible.
Pros
Decent wage, friendly place, approachable management
Cons
Sometimes you might do an 11 hour shift, but the day does pass quickly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K