Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from Lidl:

Lidl Employee Reviews for Customer Assistant

Customer Assistant277 reviews
The company itself pays well and offers a decent amount of holiday days per year, however some management team members are nothing short of useless and unfit for the job.

The same applies for fellow Customer Assistants. Some work hard and will ensure the job is done to the highest of standards, others cannot be relied upon at all.

Typically the job will involve a variety of roles from till work, to stock checks to cleaning duties. This does not always follow however and sometimes you will be stuck doing the same job (mostly tills) for days on end.

The work/life balance is also atrocious so be prepared to sacrifice weekends, bank holidays and have little time off for Christmas.
Pros
Fair pay, made some friends here
Cons
Long hours, poor work/life balance, some terrible colleagues
New members of staff permanently stuck on checkouts and managers unwilling to listen to anyone saying they were unhappy with this, along with any other criticism or ways to make their work life more enjoyable. Only 3-8 members of staff working at a time in the whole supermarket. I even worked shifts with only 2 of us. "Closing staff" never finished on time because of there never being enough staff scheduled to get jobs done. Very low staff morale and few people I worked with enjoyed being there. Shifts were majority 10 hours, but some frequently worked 11. Poor quality uniform as well as not having enough of it, I had two t-shirts (both with holes in and faded) even though I worked 40 hours. I quit without another job to go to it was that bad, I would rather be unemployed than work there until I had found a better job.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Long hours, mundane tasks, unapproachable managers, frequently under staffed
Working in Lidl messed up my emotional physical and social life. If someone has self respect I will recommend not to work in Lidl then. Wages are Nothing as compared to the amount of insult, embarrassment and stress you have to face in Lidl, it doesn’t worth working in Lidl. Only the people who are not very sensitive to insults they can work in Lidl.
Pros
Cons
Indian Manager
I was a customer assistant, day to day tasks include unpacking deliveries, stocking shelves, serving customers on the tills. General store cleaning, keeping sore tidy. Good time keeping skills are essential, fast paced work environment. Management are helpful and help motivate you. Friendly workplace.
If you want a full on career do not work here. I was there for 9 months and 9 months only due to very bad management and bullying. this Job is too fast paced for anyone and they expect ridiculous standards. Management abused me,as much as everyone else. Plus they time your speed on tills so it’s stressful even on there. Plus they give you a million things to do with no time. BAD MANAGEMENT. DO NOT WORK HERE
Horrible shift managers always busy with stealing and eating !!! They can tell anything at anytime!! No training nothing just put on the till for 8 hours and one hour before shift end manager will send for the break. Such a place of mismanagement, discrimination. Such a shame !!! They wrote in big letters equality !! If you complain you lose your job !! This happened to me !!
In order to maximise profits the company keeps its stores chronically understaffed, which leads to:
-overwhelmed/stressed managers

-overwhelmed/stressed employees

-the inability to carry out important tasks

-short breaks (30 minutes)

-suppression of employee rights

-constant breach of the company's own policies

-constant breach of legality itself
Great place to work if you don't mind hard work. Putting in some overtime shifts boosts your wages, and you get to know your customer's. The more work you do, the easier the job becomes.
Pros
Early finish if you can get on fill shift
Cons
Lates are boring, and could be sat on a till for 8 hours
very stressful at times, if you like to be on the go constantly this is the job for you. Management have a lot to deal with so can be very stressed out as well.
Need more staff per shift. Work load versus staff ratios are unrealistic most of the time. It’s crazy. Fast paced, which you know at interview. Management care about saving hours, not you. They don’t listen, ignore you and don’t answer you at times. Dont like when using your initiative, Even if your doing a job that needs doing.
Favour other staff members over others, so for example your stuck on a till for over 8 hours instead of using your training to do other jobs.

Pay-is above the national average so that’s a plus.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Lidl?
So much backbiting and spiteful behaviour from store management. Heard the current manager from cradley Heath will happily report you behind your back if you get on their bad side, even if you made a honest mistake. Also witnessed inappropriate behaviour from one shift manager who made dirty jokes to staff and has been complained against numerous times I heard them moaning to another staff member about the shifts the store manager out them on and I heard they embarrassed a staff member in front of a load of customers and belittled them badly. The store managers are an absolute disgrace, put heaps of pressure on the poor customer assistants who have to face their wrath when the area manager is not happy with the store performance. No manager in this store knows what they are doing, it's a great wonder as to how they got their jobs here, seriously.
My enjoying part is serving my customers, my worst is seating on that till for 5 hours without moving around . Nobody cares about you if you are Sick. And if you are hospitalise for months, you will never get a call from LIDL or your manager to asked how you are getting on. They care about the services you gives them , not you
The staff were all so helpful and friendly, it's the best environment I've ever worked in. Everyone went out of their way to make sure you were ok and if I had any problems they were kind enough to help.
It’s good paid but should be more if you consider about your physically health. You need to lift heavy things and do a lot of heavy dusty dirty work. They will show you everything and be patient and explain everything nicely, but they definitely need to have more people who work in shop! Should be better organised and set up whole prices and everything correct which is always some problem in . Anyway it’s too exhausting and I wouldn’t recommend
Stuck on till for all of the shift everyday. Staff ok shop floor are the favourites who have been there a long time, management don’t care too many chiefs not enough Indians! 20hr contract doing 4/5 hour shifts any overtime is given to staff who have been there the longest can’t get another job because the shifts are 4/5hrs long spread over 5 days. Good hourly rate though!
Go there only if you are starving and you need money. Modern slavery on it s own. Dirty messy canteen, nobody tells you when you can have a break, some of those people don t seems like they have anything else but that job. Not organised at all, the manager tells you something and after half hour trlls you something else. Felt like in prison. Avoid no matter what they promise to you.
Fast paced and rewarding company with an understanding of individual needs and requirements. from the moment you walk in the atmosphere gets you ready for the day and encourages you to achieve the best
Hours not as contracted plenty of hours for the favourite colleagues constantly on the till for 8/10 hours don’t expect any weekends off that goes to the faves, spoken to like a child treated like rubbish avoid if you have children no compromise on hours avoid unless you have no respect for your self
Management is an absolute joke, no interpersonal skills and have no idea how to lead a team of people. There is a culture of fear and double standards, as well as absolutely no work life balance. Don't recommend working here unless you want to be bullied and belittled on the daily.
If you're a single person who is entirely career focused then there may be a place in lidl for you, however if you have family at home kids etc then I strongly recommend you pass lidl by as there is zero work family life balance especially for those who only see family of a weekend. You're given a lot of false hope and made plenty of empty promises in the beginning then you're turfed on to a till an forgotten about, your efforts are never really appreciated and as soon as you say no to coming in on your day off or to cancelling plans you had with your family or friends to come in or stay them you're quite often vilified for that.
Awful place to work, managment dont care about the staff. Could be sat on a till all day without any movement. As a female i had to lift heavy petrol lawn mowers on my own which caused me to hurt my back
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.
1.3K