Lidl Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Found 186 reviews matching the search See all 5,683 reviews
Made me ill
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire14 January 2020
Working for lidl for 6 years had good and bad days more than not bad. The other staff who had been there years walk round like zombies and as miserable as sin. The management I had to start with was great but they ship them out as soon as you get to know them. The salary is compensation for having no work life balance and they preach about helping with mental health issues and are the least mental trained as the postman. are the least
Underpaid and undervalued for how hard you work. Not enough time to spend with family. Overworked with not enough staff for all the stores.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morriston10 January 2020
Underpaid and under valued for how hard you work. Not enough time to spend with family. Overworked with not enough staff for all the stores. Short notice for you to cover shifts.
Pros
10% staff discount on all in store items. Can progress higher in your career. Jobs are quite secure.
Cons
Overworked in every shift, must be physically fit, and underpaid and undervalued for the work that you do for the low rate of hourly pay you get
Awful Company. Terrible Management
Store Assistant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Treorchy, Rhondda Cynon Taff4 January 2020
Quite possibly the biggest mistake I have ever done. Awful prehistoric management haven't a clue on how to speak or treat people. Workload is not worth the pay can do a lot less for a lot more elsewhere. Sporadic hours to suit management not you so don't fall for that old chestnut.
Not the best to work for unless in high mgmt
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GA8 December 2019
I worked there for 3 years. I have never been promoted. They waited until I went on maternity leave to promote other associates. They will get every penny from you. You will lift weight over your shoulders. They want pallets unloaded in 30 minutes following lidl line procedures. They don't follow requested time off. Management is snotty and does not listen to doctors notes.
Lidl's management
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  London2 December 2019
Needs to fix their attitude. I felt management was poor, no one knew how to run the store. We had muitple applicants for Lidl in Woolwich and they were all moved to somewhere else because how out store was being run to the group and I still feel we could do better as a company in woolwich. The hours may be long however it is good pay and I can't argue with that. However I wouldn't get my fix hours a week. So for example I'm on 25 hours per week. I only get 16 hours. That's something I'm not to happy about.
always something new everyday which wouldnt be boring
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea4 November 2019
lidl is a fast paced company. i enjoyed working for the company. a typical day would be early start get all the delivery out fast and make sure we done all checks along the way and rotated stock. the management were always helpful when a problem has arised. customer service was normally good and everyone worked as part of a team which is very important in any job and if everyone works together things would go smoothly and i would enjoy the day instead of it becoming a chore.
Too stressful
Store Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire22 October 2019
We were understaffed and timed in all things, make a mistake however small and you were told about it, all the while, working to tight timescales meant you never got chance to take a breath.
Manager was let down
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pool, Cornwall19 October 2019
Lidl the company are excellent.
It’s the branch that I worked at that was a let down, this is down to the manager, if you’re young and pretty and he had a chance of cheating on his then g/f now wife, you will go far! he would spend most of the day womanising over the store head sets about felmale customers. He has no Control of his staff complete wimp.
fun and fast pace working place
Deputy Store Manger (Current Employee) –  Luton18 October 2019
it is a fast paced work place but does have its benefits of achievement and accomplishment work life balance is a bit difficult special if you are in management. but other wise it is very rewarding
It was ok
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NC17 October 2019
Good pay and great co-workers. Very fun crew. The manager was rude at times. Besides that, it is a pretty good place to work. It gets busy fast you just need to keep up.
Trash
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Lexington, NC10 October 2019
Racist , Sexist , Pricks who could care less whether or not you made enough to survive or not. They depend too much on German systems that don't work for what goes on over here. I mean the air conditioning is even controlled by the German systems.
Pros
It was a job
Cons
I felt like an invaluable object
Fun but hard work
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield24 September 2019
Very early starts for deliveries (4-5am) and expected to sort as much of the delivery as possible onto shelves before 8am opening time. Can be back breaking work rushing against the clock. Team is supportive and fun.
Pros
Discount on shopping
Cons
Early starts
Good place
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Enfield, Greater London20 September 2019
Mixed working on the till and unpacking the stock. Sometimes is hard to move big deliveries. Have a change to learn new skills that can be helpful for your progress in the future.
Lidl
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wales7 September 2019
You are not able to plan anything as the rota gets changed daily. You are meant to have 3 weeks notice of shift changes but the managers seem to think that your life is theirs not your own. The only thing good about this company is the pay tbh.
Two thumbs up
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VA16 July 2019
Very organized group of management, fast paced and family oriented workplace. The most enjoyable part of the job was customer satisfaction, if you're a people's person then this is the job for you.
Manager did not like her
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VA3 July 2019
The job was not difficult. I was a good paying job but hardly given any hours. The store manager was a pain in the butt. Some days it will be so short staffed but I would recommend to either younger school kids or older folks.
working hard doesn't pay
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Devizes14 June 2019
working hard doesn't pay but good pay rate for the industry, doing your job well is not rewarded at all..... Good benefits, 35 days per year paid holidays but management have a lot to work towards their attitude towards the employees ( talk nicer, show respect....not rudely demanding)
Pros
good rates of pay
Cons
management attitude
Not for the faint hearted
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pickering5 June 2019
I worked for Lidl from 2016-2018
Very unsociable hours
All consuming
Unrealistic expectations
Moody/rude staff
Can be made to sit for 10 hours which is more difficult than it sounds
Have to scan minimum of 30 items a minute
Need to able to heavy lift
Pros
Discount and Good pay
Cons
Not as good an employer as they used to be
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Poole12 May 2019
In recent years working conditions have deteriorated to the point where it has affected many of my colleagues mental health and wages have not kept up to previous levels when compared to the minimum wage.
Donkey work other people don't want to do.
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff1 May 2019
You work the hardest while you watch management swan around and select the easy jobs then offload the ones they don't want to do on to you. No one else wants to know.

Discipline is non existent, too many lazy staff in work here that don't care, constantly phone in sick despite the stores being run on skeleton staff :- leaving a stressful day for everyone else and a big pile of work not done.

Unfairness is rife. Holidays already allocated to everyone else while I was on a day off so had to pay more money to reschedule my plans as I then could not take the week off that I wanted to as others got in before me.

The work is dull, tedious and relentless. The company will not give an ounce of support, if one person is not pulling their weight then it all becomes impossible to achieve. Moral and motivation go down across the store as a result.

Its a no-win situation. I have been at the company for 4.5 years and the only reason I am still here is becouse the job is close to where I live, the hourly rate, the discount card and my three month extended leave that I plan to take after 5 years.

Next year when I come back, I intend to leave this employment as nothing ever changes. The company just want the work done, they are not interested in the standard of employment or work issues.

If you are the type of person that has limitless patience with the above and can tolerate the bad working practices then its worth staying for a while otherwise you simply have to leave.

I'd suggest work here for up to 2 years at the most if you need quick well paid work then move on. No
  more... point in trying to move up here, a shift manager I started with in another store is still trying for deputy manager after 4 years!.

Its a bad dead-end job of the sort your parents warn you about. I am certain I will not be stuck here until my retirement and I will get myself out of it. I will not leave until something better is secured but will eventually if it starts affecting my mental health.

I've dropped my contract down to 25 hrs a week, which is the minimum I can live on for the moment, it is simply not worth it.
Pros
Pay, discount card, holiday entitlement.
Cons
Long hours, no support, selfish management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K