Lidl Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Found 179 reviews matching the search See all 5,252 reviews
Too stressful
Store Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire22 October 2019
We were understaffed and timed in all things, make a mistake however small and you were told about it, all the while, working to tight timescales meant you never got chance to take a breath.
Manager was let down
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pool, Cornwall19 October 2019
Lidl the company are excellent.
It’s the branch that I worked at that was a let down, this is down to the manager, if you’re young and pretty and he had a chance of cheating on his then g/f now wife, you will go far! he would spend most of the day womanising over the store head sets about felmale customers. He has no Control of his staff complete wimp.
It was ok
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NC17 October 2019
Good pay and great co-workers. Very fun crew. The manager was rude at times. Besides that, it is a pretty good place to work. It gets busy fast you just need to keep up.
Trash
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Lexington, NC10 October 2019
Racist , Sexist , Pricks who could care less whether or not you made enough to survive or not. They depend too much on German systems that don't work for what goes on over here. I mean the air conditioning is even controlled by the German systems.
Pros
It was a job
Cons
I felt like an invaluable object
Fun but hard work
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield24 September 2019
Very early starts for deliveries (4-5am) and expected to sort as much of the delivery as possible onto shelves before 8am opening time. Can be back breaking work rushing against the clock. Team is supportive and fun.
Pros
Discount on shopping
Cons
Early starts
Good place
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Enfield, Greater London20 September 2019
Mixed working on the till and unpacking the stock. Sometimes is hard to move big deliveries. Have a change to learn new skills that can be helpful for your progress in the future.
Lidl
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wales7 September 2019
You are not able to plan anything as the rota gets changed daily. You are meant to have 3 weeks notice of shift changes but the managers seem to think that your life is theirs not your own. The only thing good about this company is the pay tbh.
Two thumbs up
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VA16 July 2019
Very organized group of management, fast paced and family oriented workplace. The most enjoyable part of the job was customer satisfaction, if you're a people's person then this is the job for you.
Manager did not like her
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VA3 July 2019
The job was not difficult. I was a good paying job but hardly given any hours. The store manager was a pain in the butt. Some days it will be so short staffed but I would recommend to either younger school kids or older folks.
working hard doesn't pay
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Devizes14 June 2019
working hard doesn't pay but good pay rate for the industry, doing your job well is not rewarded at all..... Good benefits, 35 days per year paid holidays but management have a lot to work towards their attitude towards the employees ( talk nicer, show respect....not rudely demanding)
Pros
good rates of pay
Cons
management attitude
Not for the faint hearted
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pickering5 June 2019
I worked for Lidl from 2016-2018
Very unsociable hours
All consuming
Unrealistic expectations
Moody/rude staff
Can be made to sit for 10 hours which is more difficult than it sounds
Have to scan minimum of 30 items a minute
Need to able to heavy lift
Pros
Discount and Good pay
Cons
Not as good an employer as they used to be
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Poole12 May 2019
In recent years working conditions have deteriorated to the point where it has affected many of my colleagues mental health and wages have not kept up to previous levels when compared to the minimum wage.
Donkey work other people don't want to do.
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff1 May 2019
You work the hardest while you watch management swan around and select the easy jobs then offload the ones they don't want to do on to you. No one else wants to know.

Discipline is non existent, too many lazy staff in work here that don't care, constantly phone in sick despite the stores being run on skeleton staff :- leaving a stressful day for everyone else and a big pile of work not done.

Unfairness is rife. Holidays already allocated to everyone else while I was on a day off so had to pay more money to reschedule my plans as I then could not take the week off that I wanted to as others got in before me.

The work is dull, tedious and relentless. The company will not give an ounce of support, if one person is not pulling their weight then it all becomes impossible to achieve. Moral and motivation go down across the store as a result.

Its a no-win situation. I have been at the company for 4.5 years and the only reason I am still here is becouse the job is close to where I live, the hourly rate, the discount card and my three month extended leave that I plan to take after 5 years.

Next year when I come back, I intend to leave this employment as nothing ever changes. The company just want the work done, they are not interested in the standard of employment or work issues.

If you are the type of person that has limitless patience with the above and can tolerate the bad working practices then its worth staying for a while otherwise you simply have to leave.

I'd suggest work here for up to 2 years at the most if you need quick well paid work then move on. No
  more... point in trying to move up here, a shift manager I started with in another store is still trying for deputy manager after 4 years!.

Its a bad dead-end job of the sort your parents warn you about. I am certain I will not be stuck here until my retirement and I will get myself out of it. I will not leave until something better is secured but will eventually if it starts affecting my mental health.

I've dropped my contract down to 25 hrs a week, which is the minimum I can live on for the moment, it is simply not worth it.
Pros
Pay, discount card, holiday entitlement.
Cons
Long hours, no support, selfish management.
hard work, good benefits
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Frome, Somerset24 April 2019
The work at Lidl is hard. Most of a shift will be spent on tills but you are expected to do just about everything around the store. You get off of the tills and go straight on to working the deliveries or tidy the fruit and veg. There is NEVER a dull moment.
Fast paced work environment, salary quite good
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Great Yarmouth16 April 2019
Can be quite stressful at times, and you have to multitask a lot, salary very good if you want to progress further.
Working environment is very fast paced and you have to use your own initiative and think ahead. You are not just allocated to one job and have to work in different areas e.g checkout, shopfloor, chiller, freezer, bakery and checkout.
Pros
Paid holiday and start rate very good
Cons
Long hours, demanding physical and mental work., if you work 10 hours you only get a 30 minute break
Great pay that’s it
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coventry11 April 2019
Worked there a year stated in a great store, busy constantly, got to work on all areas, made loads of friends, friendly customers, then switched to a worse store very quiet, rude customers, worse management hardly got on with staff was awful.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Short breaks for the hours you do, Hours scattered all over the place no work / life balance, Rude Customers
They expect far too much work...the more you work the more they expect. Good benefits...bad work life balance
Store Manager/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wales6 April 2019
Good benefits.
Not bad pay
Far too much expected and known in Germany as a very poor employer.
Not enough staff because they are tight fisted.
They cut the costs maximally to give customers cheapest possible price...but unfortunately the staff suffer because of this. Whilst customers deserve the cheapest price..they should not sacrifice service and often no one even in store to answer questions and assist customers.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Work pay does not cover stress
Good job for college students
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VA2 April 2019
This job was a good job for college students. It's easy and the environment is comfortable. The pay is reasonable as well, and the people are kind. I would recommend it, especially if you're looking for a simple part-time job.
Productive and Fast Paced
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VA1 April 2019
A typical day at Lidl for me would be coming in at 5:30AM and stocking or what they call it "Packing Out" until 7:30AM or so. My main role at Lidl is working in the Produce section. I work in that section everyday and the main things that I do is stock, quality check items throughout the day,clean around the department, and dispose of any empty boxes. The shift typically ends at 2PM, but depending on the business of the store, or the day of the week, I leave at 2:30PM. I leave at 2:30 mostly on Saturdays because the weekends are the busiest time at the store.
I have learned a lot with my experience at LIdl. I have learned how to work in a fast paced environment, I have learned a lot of organizational skills through this job, and have learned a lot more customer service skills to satisfy a customers needs.
The management is great, they are very friendly people who treat us all fairly. I have never felt as if a manager did not like me or the way I was working.
The hardest part of the job is the business of the store, and the lack of employees on the shift that is very busy. This most of the time puts the store at a disadvantage because this puts us behind on work, and on days when it gets busy, it's hard to work around all of the foot traffic coming through the store.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people and the environment. Everyone that works there knows eachother and everyone is friendly. This is what helps makes the store run better is teamwork and everyone being on the same page and being able to work together.
Pros
Great Hours, Great People, Fast Paced
No hours no advancement horrible communication
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NC18 March 2019
No hours are given started off with 75 hours on a check now it’s more like 27 hours this is less than a part time job I have full availability and still given hardly any hours
Pros
Cons
Inconsistent

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K