Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

Lidl Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Retail Sales Associate202 reviews
Fast paced and stressful environment. A lot will be asked of you and you will be expected to give more than you should have to. Company is still figuring out the best methods to use in America.
Job security and advancement
Advancement was only for the crazy and desperate

No socializing unless you are on break.Strictly.

Overall

Lidl is growing too fast to treat people fairly. There are soo many rules and policies that change and make no sense that it becomes impossible to make clear decisions throughout the day especially with the pace that was expected. Not worth the stress over groceries..
Do you enjoy working extremely erratic hours? Do you enjoy being treated like a real prisoner? Enjoy working long hours from early at 3.30am until evening and only leaving when told to, regardless of your set hours? Never receiving your overtime owed, break your spirit and say goodbye to your personal life and loved ones, join Lidls they will give you a futuristic slavery experience at your cost, and toss you out in the dirt when you are all burnt out,
Pros
You get a lunch break to rethink your lifes choices.
Cons
Whey to many hidden cons to explain, do not join Lidls, its not fair on you or your family.
Rewarding and enjoyable although a little fast paced during certain times. A workplace where boredom nor repetitive tasks exist. One minute you're stalk taking, cleaning shelves and produce, the next you're on tills. Varied from day to day - the downside is it's part time work - not suited to soneone seeking full time employment.
Pros
Variety and rewarding. A feeling of value.
Cons
Part time.
I attempted to book time off far in advance (months prior) and was rejected it even though I had been working 35 hour weeks on a 16 hour contract!

The managers were not flexible with schedule at all. I would often finish at 10pm and start work the next day at 6am.
Pros
Pay is above average jobs
Cons
You end up living to work. No balance or flexibility
Management are unfair and don’t treat staff with respect. Store manager at my store was disgusting looked at women as if they were objects. Avoid!!!!!
Pros
Friendly team
Cons
Hard to progress within the company, they don't always give you the chance to progress either, but it's a fun atmosphere. I enjoy working with the people I work with
Would not recommend working here for long period of time. Eventually management turn on employees and force them out of the company some way of another.
Taking responsibility of all duties in store, from stocking products on the shelves to operating checkouts, cleaning the store to providing support in the warehouse and looking after all customers
A very busy atmosphere with supporting colleagues. A lot of opportunities to progress and train. Variable positions are available in stores and more within office roles.
Trash. Waste of time. You can get promoted easily. No one cares about their job and the job doesn’t care back. No satisfaction will be gained by working here.
When I first start lidls I got on great with management and staff. As time progressed new management came in as jew staff and staff who were there longest were been messed around with there hours and contracts it soon came to light managers were hiring friends and giving them all the hours.
A great company to work for but they need to look at their potential employees that have the skill to drive the company farther. I have over 22 years in retail/wholesale. I am looking to advance my career where i left off in this field but they are not looking and willing to train to grow the company and their employees.
Good customer service.
Managers are respectable and responsible.

Good ways to learn and progress within the job. Learn alot about different elements of retail and day to day life with different customers.
I worked part time. Trained out of town for a month. Quickly accrue vacation days. We were opening stores in my area. We were surprised at how quickly our hours went from unlimited to 20. That’s not sustainable. I worked a couple jobs while I worked here to compensate. Management was ever changing. Not a bad job for someone who does not really need a lot of hours.
Working in a supermarket like this is basically a means to an end. You need money to pay bills, but it is far too stressful and fast paced, not in a postive way either.
Working for lidl for 6 years had good and bad days more than not bad. The other staff who had been there years walk round like zombies and as miserable as sin. The management I had to start with was great but they ship them out as soon as you get to know them. The salary is compensation for having no work life balance and they preach about helping with mental health issues and are the least mental trained as the postman. are the least
Underpaid and under valued for how hard you work. Not enough time to spend with family. Overworked with not enough staff for all the stores. Short notice for you to cover shifts.
Pros
10% staff discount on all in store items. Can progress higher in your career. Jobs are quite secure.
Cons
Overworked in every shift, must be physically fit, and underpaid and undervalued for the work that you do for the low rate of hourly pay you get
Quite possibly the biggest mistake I have ever done. Awful prehistoric management haven't a clue on how to speak or treat people. Workload is not worth the pay can do a lot less for a lot more elsewhere. Sporadic hours to suit management not you so don't fall for that old chestnut.
A fast-paced, demanding environment with very little support offered.
Target-driven across all areas of the business.

Relentless internal cost-cutting adds to pressure upon staff and ultimately undermines their attempts to achieve targets.

Process driven
I worked there for 3 years. I have never been promoted. They waited until I went on maternity leave to promote other associates. They will get every penny from you. You will lift weight over your shoulders. They want pallets unloaded in 30 minutes following lidl line procedures. They don't follow requested time off. Management is snotty and does not listen to doctors notes.