Lidl Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Found 171 reviews matching the search See all 4,381 reviews
Manager did not like her
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VA3 July 2019
The job was not difficult. I was a good paying job but hardly given any hours. The store manager was a pain in the butt. Some days it will be so short staffed but I would recommend to either younger school kids or older folks.
working hard doesn't pay
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Devizes14 June 2019
working hard doesn't pay but good pay rate for the industry, doing your job well is not rewarded at all..... Good benefits, 35 days per year paid holidays but management have a lot to work towards their attitude towards the employees ( talk nicer, show respect....not rudely demanding)
Pros
good rates of pay
Cons
management attitude
Not for the faint hearted
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pickering5 June 2019
I worked for Lidl from 2016-2018
Very unsociable hours
All consuming
Unrealistic expectations
Moody/rude staff
Can be made to sit for 10 hours which is more difficult than it sounds
Have to scan minimum of 30 items a minute
Need to able to heavy lift
Pros
Discount and Good pay
Cons
Not as good an employer as they used to be
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Poole12 May 2019
In recent years working conditions have deteriorated to the point where it has affected many of my colleagues mental health and wages have not kept up to previous levels when compared to the minimum wage.
Donkey work other people don't want to do.
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff1 May 2019
You work the hardest while you watch management swan around and select the easy jobs then offload the ones they don't want to do on to you. No one else wants to know.

Discipline is non existent, too many lazy staff in work here that don't care, constantly phone in sick despite the stores being run on skeleton staff :- leaving a stressful day for everyone else and a big pile of work not done.

Unfairness is rife. Holidays already allocated to everyone else while I was on a day off so had to pay more money to reschedule my plans as I then could not take the week off that I wanted to as others got in before me.

The work is dull, tedious and relentless. The company will not give an ounce of support, if one person is not pulling their weight then it all becomes impossible to achieve. Moral and motivation go down across the store as a result.

Its a no-win situation. I have been at the company for 4.5 years and the only reason I am still here is becouse the job is close to where I live, the hourly rate, the discount card and my three month extended leave that I plan to take after 5 years.

Next year when I come back, I intend to leave this employment as nothing ever changes. The company just want the work done, they are not interested in the standard of employment or work issues.

If you are the type of person that has limitless patience with the above and can tolerate the bad working practices then its worth staying for a while otherwise you simply have to leave.

I'd suggest work here for up to 2 years at the most if you need quick well paid work then move on. No
  more... point in trying to move up here, a shift manager I started with in another store is still trying for deputy manager after 4 years!.

Its a bad dead-end job of the sort your parents warn you about. I am certain I will not be stuck here until my retirement and I will get myself out of it. I will not leave until something better is secured but will eventually if it starts affecting my mental health.

I've dropped my contract down to 25 hrs a week, which is the minimum I can live on for the moment, it is simply not worth it.
Pros
Pay, discount card, holiday entitlement.
Cons
Long hours, no support, selfish management.
hard work, good benefits
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Frome, Somerset24 April 2019
The work at Lidl is hard. Most of a shift will be spent on tills but you are expected to do just about everything around the store. You get off of the tills and go straight on to working the deliveries or tidy the fruit and veg. There is NEVER a dull moment.
Fast paced work environment, salary quite good
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Great Yarmouth16 April 2019
Can be quite stressful at times, and you have to multitask a lot, salary very good if you want to progress further.
Working environment is very fast paced and you have to use your own initiative and think ahead. You are not just allocated to one job and have to work in different areas e.g checkout, shopfloor, chiller, freezer, bakery and checkout.
Pros
Paid holiday and start rate very good
Cons
Long hours, demanding physical and mental work., if you work 10 hours you only get a 30 minute break
Great pay that’s it
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coventry11 April 2019
Worked there a year stated in a great store, busy constantly, got to work on all areas, made loads of friends, friendly customers, then switched to a worse store very quiet, rude customers, worse management hardly got on with staff was awful.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Short breaks for the hours you do, Hours scattered all over the place no work / life balance, Rude Customers
They expect far too much work...the more you work the more they expect. Good benefits...bad work life balance
Store Manager/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wales6 April 2019
Good benefits.
Not bad pay
Far too much expected and known in Germany as a very poor employer.
Not enough staff because they are tight fisted.
They cut the costs maximally to give customers cheapest possible price...but unfortunately the staff suffer because of this. Whilst customers deserve the cheapest price..they should not sacrifice service and often no one even in store to answer questions and assist customers.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Work pay does not cover stress
Good job for college students
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VA2 April 2019
This job was a good job for college students. It's easy and the environment is comfortable. The pay is reasonable as well, and the people are kind. I would recommend it, especially if you're looking for a simple part-time job.
Productive and Fast Paced
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VA1 April 2019
A typical day at Lidl for me would be coming in at 5:30AM and stocking or what they call it "Packing Out" until 7:30AM or so. My main role at Lidl is working in the Produce section. I work in that section everyday and the main things that I do is stock, quality check items throughout the day,clean around the department, and dispose of any empty boxes. The shift typically ends at 2PM, but depending on the business of the store, or the day of the week, I leave at 2:30PM. I leave at 2:30 mostly on Saturdays because the weekends are the busiest time at the store.
I have learned a lot with my experience at LIdl. I have learned how to work in a fast paced environment, I have learned a lot of organizational skills through this job, and have learned a lot more customer service skills to satisfy a customers needs.
The management is great, they are very friendly people who treat us all fairly. I have never felt as if a manager did not like me or the way I was working.
The hardest part of the job is the business of the store, and the lack of employees on the shift that is very busy. This most of the time puts the store at a disadvantage because this puts us behind on work, and on days when it gets busy, it's hard to work around all of the foot traffic coming through the store.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people and the environment. Everyone that works there knows eachother and everyone is friendly. This is what helps makes the store run better is teamwork and everyone being on the same page and being able to work together.
Pros
Great Hours, Great People, Fast Paced
No hours no advancement horrible communication
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NC18 March 2019
No hours are given started off with 75 hours on a check now it’s more like 27 hours this is less than a part time job I have full availability and still given hardly any hours
Pros
Cons
Inconsistent
Terrible place to work
Store Assistant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Gwynedd16 March 2019
Management talk to you like dirt when there in a mood ,from either personal problems or just being overworked themselves .Management set unrealistic times on when a task should be completed .Health and safety is a joke .Very poor atmosphere at times depending on which manager is on shift .Very poor training .The open day for employees which they go to when they are first employed is nothing at all like reality when you start employment on thereon after . There is a constant shortage of staff due to staff just having enough and leaving or staff phoning in sick .It is hard to imagine how it could be any worse a place to work !!!
Pros
Cons
everything
Great people, Teaches good work ethic
Store Assistant/Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Mirfield27 January 2019
I worked at lidl while at uni and a little while after. They were very accommodating to what hours/ days I could do. the pay is good for a super market store, however you definitely need to be a hard worker. This does however teach you a great work ethic and will keep you fit. If you don't like working either early or late shifts it might not be for you as you can start as early as 5am and as late as 11pm. For me the staff and managers were all lovely, and everyone was pitched in to get the job done. One of the worst things was the customers. Working in customer service is all I've ever known, but I've never experienced a customer service interaction that has been so upsetting, not only to me but a few other colleagues were reduced to tears. This may because the customers don't respond well to the german style of running things. This being said, Lidl has taught me so many skills both personally and professionally and I have made some friends for life, as well as an increased fitness level.
Pros
Company benefits
Cons
Stressful but fun place to work
Store Assistant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hereford and Worcester26 January 2019
I have worked at lidl for almost 2 years now. It can be very stressful and sometimes painful at times. But the team I work with are so fun and keep each other going.

The shifts are very long and sometimes you don’t get a break until about 6/7 hours into your shifts. But the time goes so fast you don’t really notice.

The management are pretty good and any problems I’ve had they’ve been very helpful and changed rotas and things.
Pros
Good management, pay
Cons
Stressful, long hours
very productive
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands23 January 2019
Working in a fast paced energetic environment with others on my department made my job fun and less stressful on a day-to-day basis. Customers was the hardest part of the job with the irrational and pathetic behaviour when an item wasn't in stock - which will be the same in all retail jobs.
Was alight
Store assistant (Former Employee) –  Warminster, Wiltshire23 January 2019
Was alright had it good and bad like most jobs the pay and structure was good work life balance was up and down management was poor

I would do back again
Horrible management. Good people treated badly. Decent pay though
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Swords, County Dublin29 October 2018
I have been working as a store assistant for the last 8 years in lidl. Staff treated badly from the beginning. Most managers are bullies but some are good. Very hard working job. Good pay with good benefits. Not viable long term. Lidl chews you up and spits you out when it suits them. I would advise to stay away. I am currently looking for another job to get out of this place. Met some nice people along the way but generally never in Upper management. Agreements mean nothing to management except when it suits them. Very sly place to work!!!
Pros
Money per hour
Cons
A lot is wrong with this company
it's ok if u need money
Store associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SC10 October 2018
U have to be moving all the time, dealing with costumers and almost running from place to place, it gets tight whit poor managment and communication and sometimes u get shifts with 4 people in the whole store
Good Job
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset30 September 2018
Very good place to work, never boring. Great team of staff.
Recently trained in the Bakery. Hardest part of the job is speed, getting the delivery out in good time. Most enjoyable, serving the regular customers at the till, having great conversations as I quickly scan the items.
Pros
Having a great team to work with.
Cons
possibly waiting a bit too long for a break in busy periods

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K