Lidl Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Found 132 reviews matching the search See all 4,373 reviews
Avoid
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gravesend, Kent22 July 2019
You work hard,they will still put more pressure,will be unhappy and finish your contract without a reason.Expectations are very high you have to litteraly run around the shop all day with heavy stock.
Okay place work for
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside14 July 2019
Managers talks down to you , lidi made me feel depressed
My job in Lidi is the shortest time I've ever stayed in job
Very friendly staff at all times
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Bedlington, Northumberland3 July 2019
I always use Lidl i always find the staff are always happy & always happy to help. Would like to work there as its a lovley big shop with some lovley staff in i also love to work in retail.
Productivity
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin17 June 2019
Great work environment with an excellent training program. Leaving you with a full understanding of your job description and what is expected of an employee in a thriving business.
Awful company to me.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees, Durham25 May 2019
Awful manager in store and shouted a lot. Cut hours every week saying stores not doing very good and have to reduce hours ???!!!!

Snooty management not sure who they think they are
Never again
Pros
Cons
Management in store are awful
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Ross, County Wexford24 May 2019
Customer service/ Till operations/ Cash handling

Customer service skills/ Till operations skills/ Communication skills

Good management

Fast paced and productive
Horrible matcho alpha male bullying culture would
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Barnstaple, Devon24 May 2019
Lidl is a horrific place to work. All the targets for working stock etc are unrealistic and you are constantly harassed and bullied if you can't meet them. Its a vile borderline sexist ,racist homophobic, opressive alpha male dominated atmosphere that would have seemed dated in the 1980s!
No interest is given to your qualifications or how you could develop a career& no training like other big companies for progression.
Managers are rude beyond comprehension to the average person and they rely on a culture of fear to motivate people. Disciplinary is a threat every shift for minor things.
I only work there part time luckily and I am actively searching for new employment . Advice to any recent graduates don't bother applying to work here! Its so bad I'm surprised its legal!!
The slightly higher wages aren't worth the stress.
Also promotion internally is based on whether your line manager likes you or not. To have a fair impartial recruitment process ,they would have to treat internal candidates the same as external and base the decision on whether to offer a job/promotion purely on interview. If you already currently work for the company and for example you want to apply for assistant store manager they will contact your current line manager. If you don't get on with your line manager they will have a 'quiet word' with the people conducting the interview and no matter how well you perform in the interview there will be no promotion!!!! I'm sure its against equal opportunities legislation but if you challenge them as a company they just deny it!!
Pros
Taking as much time off as possible
Cons
Everything else
not so fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, Greater London22 May 2019
I worked in the day time at start. The work was alright I managed to complet my task. Later I got moved to the night, much harder and hactic as compared to the day shift as we also had lack of staff, and obviously less time too.

working at lidl I saw true demonstration of team work as in the night the whole team sorted their task and worked like a team.

The management is not really up to the mark.

well if you don't recruit enough staff in the company all the job obviously becomes hard.

the work collegues were very helpful and jolly.
Pros
good salary
Cons
less staff, lot of work
Avoid
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester22 May 2019
Don't be fooled by the hourly rate, yes its generous but you will be expected to work yourself into the ground for it. Very little chance of progression despite what they may say when you apply, always understaffed and security is just a joke! I love variety but it was physically impossible for me to complete all the tasks set out from covering a till to working deliveries, and if it wasnt done by the end of your shift you were made to feel guilty for it!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Lack of consistent hours, workload, atmosphere
Paid Labour
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham17 April 2019
They work you far to hard, expect far to much to be done impossibly fast, within Lidl you have to do all job roles at once which is why you barely see any staff around the store. If the store is busy then you will find all the staff on the tills, this is why a lot of products become off sale because they wont put more than 7 people of shift together to increase money productivity. The management do not care about you, if you have an issue you will be told "that is why we pay you more than any other supermarket and if you do not like it, you are very easily replaceable as you are just a number"
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Awful
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgend18 March 2019
If you want a job where you feel like you're nothing more than a statistic, this is the job for you. Redeemed by having some brilliant statistics working alongside you, some days may be passable
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Topo many to mention
Hard work but rewarding
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pinner11 March 2019
Extremely hard work in London stores, wouldn't recommend if you have young family

worked there as a student for four years, and it was good at the time
Pros
pay
Cons
long long loooonngg hours
sold alchahol to minors
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow28 February 2019
the shop had a bad reputation of selling alchahahol to minors was not a fun place to wark manager was a bully overall not a great place to work dont advise applying
Varied
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Denbigh, Denbighshire26 February 2019
Varied work carried out. Had time pressure to complete tasks in required time. Had test trollies and codes to learn for fruit and veg. Minimum staff on shift.
rubbish and lazy management
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Longton, Staffordshire6 January 2019
I assumed moving from a dirty little store to a brand new store in the same area would change the lazy childish management's attitude to their staff. How wrong I was. cannot wait to leave.
Pros
nothing
Cons
childish management too big for their boots
Small contract, good management, nice people to work with
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire6 January 2019
Well Im pretty surprised to see some of the negative reviews. To be honest I think it all depends on the management and how busy the store is.

I started four months ago on a low contract and never have had a problem. The management are very understanding to my needs etc as I can only work school hours. Ive never been hassled to stay later because they already know I cant stay till after 3pm.

Overall so far I enjoy working there as I only do afew hours over 3 days and usually on the till.

Ive been lucky because the store is very close to school/nursery and home.
Pros
Pay and benefits, good management, nice friendly staff
Cons
Unpaid short break
Worst place ever. Do not work here
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Armagh, County Armagh4 December 2018
Worked here and the staff were awful to me, made me feel stupid & left out, bullies. The work you are expected to do is an absolute joke, yes the pay is good but that’s cause you literally break yourself just to complete the work. You only get a 20 minute break for any shift. Tried to tell the manager whenever I was leaving that I felt uncomfortable in work and he did not care. I left most shifts in tears. The shop itself is so unorganised & laid out awful. Do not work here.
Pros
Money
Cons
Long hours, awful staff, rediculous expectations
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes25 September 2018
The people make the place worth while. The salary is good as well, they pay living wage - the job is not that hard. The hours flexible so you can make it work around you.
Pros
Staff discounts
Wouldn't advise working here
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dorchester24 September 2018
As soon as I joined I didn't feel welcomed by any but one manager and the people who worked the same as me. Didn't get fully trained, and when I did it was one thing after the other for 3 days max, no time to actually take in what I've been shown to learn. Was shown a quick video and was pressured to complete a test in under 10 minutes before being put on tills from then on. Expected to learn and know everything in a month that someone would know after working there half a year. Was never good enough and forced to be fast paced when serving even if the customer was struggling which still wasn't enough. If they don't like you they will find a way to get rid of you. Know a few people that worked here and left for these reasons.
Pros
The pay
Cons
Everything else
Good money for hard work
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Mitcham, Greater London13 September 2018
Great salary benefits, and staff are looked after to a point... it is very hard to advance in this job and does take a while however it is easy to catch on to things such as turn-over and till PLU'S

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K