Massey University

Massey University Employee Reviews in Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui

4.0Pay & Benefits
Poor management
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui28 January 2020
Lack of discipline in classrooms due to management choosing short term financial gain over long term success. A lot of lip service given but no real support
A good place to work.
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui24 December 2019
I joined Massey as a PhD student and I worked casually since then as a Lab demonstrator and did some other casual jobs including tutoring. I enjoyed working both on my PhD and in helping students.
The research after my PhD had been different and challenging, but I enjoyed most of it.
loved it
Hard but rewarding work, with great pay. Good leadership but was given plenty of opportunity to use initiative. I learnt a lot about the agricultural industry whilst working here.
Excellent instutition and programme of study
Student & Reaseach Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palmerston North, New Zealand13 January 2018
Learnt alot
Professiona outfit
Great support
Environment conducive to successful study
Ample resources freely and easily accessible
Great staff support
Experiência única
Pesquisador Bolsista (Current Employee) –  Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui19 September 2017
A vivencia em uma Universidade internacional é a mais valiosa que qualquer profissional poderia ter.
Acredito que minha experiência com projetos multidisciplinares com comunidades locais e regionais, captação de recursos financeiros, projetos de cunho social educacional, experiência de elaboração de materiais didáticos e apresentações de projetos, além da experiência internacional em sustentabilidade e meio ambiente de 1 ano e 6 meses, bem como com culturas de diversos países, possa ser útil para futuros projetos.
Pros
diversidade de culturas
Cons
dificuldade de adaptação de ritmo de trabalho, diferente do Brasil
Massey ideal
Teaching Technician (Former Employee) –  Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui5 September 2017
Massey is an ideal work environment. The staff support is excellent. The campus at the Turitea location is beautiful and restful. My line managers were always professional, courteous to a fault, watchful of maintaining professionalism and did not micromanage. The acadamic environment had an eye for nurturing self teaching and expression. The work environment left latitude for your own personality to shine through.
Pros
Beautiful location
Cons
rain
Productive and fun
Research Internship (Former Employee) –  Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui20 April 2017
Companies: Massey University (Palmerston North, New Zealand) & Topcon Precision Agriculture
(Livermore, California, USA).
Duty & responsibility:​ Soil mapping, soil sample collection and preservation, field data collection, soil &
crop management control study using go-pro cameras, RTK, Radar, GPS, ArcGIS, SUV driving, quad
driving, working directly with different stakeholders in remote areas of New Zealand and tractors driving
equipped with agricultural sprayer, tillage and seeding equipment.
Outcome:​ I published a report paper on how geospatial technology can be used to improve productivity
and efficiency in the agriculture sector.
very busy place
baker (Former Employee) –  Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui25 February 2017
everyday is a busy day and productive. i learned how to move quickly.good management. workplace is small area. good culture and friendly people. the hardest part of this job is how to finish in exactly time of the orders enjoyable moment, when finish the work .
Pros
free lunch
Cons
busy hours
Please read earlier review
I have mentioned earlier that this was one of the best jobs I have had.

The job allowed me to grow a department from scratch. To do that I had to have sufficient skills, knowledge and experience.
Pros
The job itself
Very good
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui6 October 2016
I am just a research assistant so I go to Massey and do jobs that the professor has set out for me to do. somedays I scan and archive documents, other days I visit farms and progress meeting.
Fun place to work
Meetings with clients
Workshops
Interviews
Prototyping
Requirements
Acceptance Criteria
Working across multiple departments is the hardest part but for me also the most enjoyable area because of the challenges if brings
friendly and productive team and work environment
PhD student (Current Employee) –  Palmerston North, N21 February 2014
The most important task in an everyday life of a PhD student, as any other student, is to conquer obstacles which can arise out of nowhere and make everything seem insuperable. If you are working in a friendly and professional environment with friendly colleagues and supervisors, like I'm, everything will be fine. I learn new things every day and grow with the challenge. The hardest part of the job are the things that go wrong and that are beyond your control. I enjoy my PhD, I enjoy the research and the team I work in which provides great support. It is fun to discover and solve new problems every day.
Pros
diverse group and friendly work environment
A real challenge
PHD assistant (Former Employee) –  Palmerston North18 January 2014
This position was a branch of a front end R&D project consisting of years of research conducted by a PHD student and his colleagues. So after getting an overview of what they were trying to achieve, I was given an assortment of research papers, and left to design a portable design system using my years of experience gained from my degree. It was a real sink or swim opportunity, that I thoroughly enjoyed. Let alone was I able to use my skills, I have learnt an exceptional amount from the position in testing, electrical design, and embedded programming.

As for co-workers, they were very nice, easily approachable and great resources for the problems I faced with the design. It was unbelievable to be working PHD and Lecturer level academics, sharing and debating different solutions and causes to problems.