Maxshop Employee Reviews

Product are pretty average. Get new styles every week. The quality is ok-ish for the price.
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Queenstown17 July 2019
Toxic management, racist. Worst workplace Ever. The manager and her friend staff are racist. They don’t see the good side of the employees. The manager don’t appreciate or see her other staff member talent. Waste of time to work there.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Poor management, toxic environment
Workplace of Horror
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bayfair, Bay of Plenty8 July 2019
I worked at Max for 3 months and can honestly say I have never worked for anywhere that treats their employees as horribly as Max Fashions does. There are no pros about working here- the hierarchy between employees is ridiculous. My manager had absolutely zero managing skills at all. All of the other employees including myself worked between 40-50 hours a week (always overtime) literally working sometimes 10-12 hour days (which is super unnecessary for RETAIL) and never got any recognition for the effort we put in for the company. While our manager, who left at 2:30 or earlier every day for no apparent reason, was praised for doing literally the bare minimum but bringing in one top dollar sale per day. Girls who are on salary are expected to work over time but do not get paid for any overtime they work unless it is approved by the regional manager- which never happens. The regional manager for the north island store is extremely unfair on her employees. A regional manager should be supportive and aware of animosities between managers and employees but she choses to ignore anything and everything that isn’t to do with sales. The discount isn’t worth the mental and emotional stress the job puts you through. Shame on you Max.
Pros
Cons
Literally everything
Literal Workplace of horror
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bayfair, Bay of Plenty6 July 2019
I worked at Max for 3 months and can honestly say I have never worked for anywhere that treats their employees as horribly as Max Fashions does. There are no pros about working here- the hierarchy between employees is ridiculous. My manager had absolutely zero managing skills at all. All of the other employees including myself worked between 40-50 hours a week (always overtime) literally working sometimes 10-12 hour days (which is super unnecessary for RETAIL) and never got any recognition for the effort we put in for the company. While our manager, who left at 2:30 or earlier every day for no apparent reason, was praised for doing literally the bare minimum but bringing in one top dollar sale per day. Girls who are on salary are expected to work over time but do not get paid for any overtime they work unless it is approved by the regional manager- which never happens. The regional manager for the north island store is extremely unfair on her employees. A regional manager should be supportive and aware of animosities between managers and employees but she choses to ignore anything and everything that isn’t to do with sales. At my interview manager asked my expected hourly rate and given my multiple years of sales experience I said no lower than $21/hour. She agreed to this figure then and even wrote it on my interview review page but when I got the job and had already started they said they were only paying me minimum wage and if I didn’t agree to that I would need to resign - I was desperate at the time and thought I needed the job but after working there for the short period  more... that I did I’ve realised what an awful workplace it is. Would not recommend working here.  less
Bad culture, worse management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Auckland6 June 2019
Poor culture, lack of communication and transparency throughout the business, unprofessional and unaccountable regionals that make the position very difficult.
Max does not value any of its employees and the staff turnover rate is extremely high. If regionals were provided with better training and more accountability of their behaviour during store visits, Max would be better off. Managers are expected to work unpaid of up to 10hrs a week, teams are constantly understaffed and no support is provided from HO.
My worst work experience of date, would not recommend joining this business.
Pros
Staff discount.
Cons
Unpaid hours, understaffed, poor and inappropriate upper management
Amazing to start out, then changed over time
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Onehunga, Auckland16 September 2018
I loved working there at the start because I had an amazing supportive manager (well at least I thought I did) until I got injured and everything went downhill, haven't really liked working there since.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Management, company rules, rude attitudes, the list goes on.
Relax and nice collegues
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Queenstown, Otago12 June 2018
the work is pretty relax, a bit boring for me, but people have their own passion. all the collegues are nice and we have a really good manager. the company is very understanding and concern about the life of the staff.
Pros
nice work enviroment
Cons
not enought hours
Fun work enviourment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Queensgate14 January 2018
Fantastic company to work for hours are good and the people are great good pay and staff are well looked after fantastic staff offers and good opportunities within the company.
Pros
The people and customers
Cons
There isnt any
MAX Fashion
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington16 May 2017
I was more confident working at Max. I got on so well with my work mates and it was fun waking up every morning and being excited to go to work. I did learn alot.
customer service, shopfloor
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lambton Quay, Wellington2 May 2017
customer service at max fashion was very professional and all the employees were very friendly and approachable. Being helpful and friendly with customers by approaching them about how their day was made us understand the customer more and get to know what they are there for so it makes it easier and faster for us and them to eave happy with the product. the hardest part of the job was working with customers that struggled with what they wanted to wear for an event, therefore my job was to talk more about the event and what their interest was to understand what they would feel more comfortable in before just suggesting garments which in a way made the job more enjoyable and challenging.
Pros
friendly and lively store
Cons
meeting customers needs with no difficulties
Every customer, every time
Retail Sales, Retail Management (Current Employee) –  Sylvia Park, Auckland20 December 2015
At Max, we are trained to structure our days. There a time in every day for every operation and task to be completed.Above all else customers are our number 1 priority. Every customer deserves an extra ordinary experience as soon as one foot steps in the door. Team work and supportive managing is the key to great customer service every time, and at Max this was something i always thrived on. The only hard part of the job is that i feel there was to much expectations in areas yet not enough training and support. The most enjoyable part of the job is creating a memorable experience for every customer and team member.
Pros
Reasonable pay
Cons
Retail hours
A tough day at Max
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, Auckland11 August 2015
A typical day required a lot of tasks that had to be performed along with helping out customers. I learnt how to manage a team as I was hired for a third-in-charge position, then was put into a second-in-charge position. After that the manager left with no warning and I became the manager of a team on wonderful confident ladies who listened to me and understood what needed to be done. The hardest part of the day was to get any answers out of the Regional Manager as she never seemed to have one direction.
Pros
The team I worked with in store.
Cons
Poor Management, Poor Communication
great
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  city28 June 2015
i loved working here as i got to experience the city life style and the fact i was able to come to work known that i had a bunch of great employees to work with made it fun