Maxshop
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Maxshop Employee Review

Bad culture, worse management

6 June 2019
Poor culture, lack of communication and transparency throughout the business, unprofessional and unaccountable regionals that make the position very difficult. Max does not value any of its employees and the staff turnover rate is extremely high. If regionals were provided with better training and more accountability of their behaviour during store visits, Max would be better off. Managers are expected to work unpaid of up to 10hrs a week, teams are constantly understaffed and no support is provided from HO. My worst work experience of date, would not recommend joining this business.
Pros
Staff discount.
Cons
Unpaid hours, understaffed, poor and inappropriate upper management
11 February 2019
Same location
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) - Auckland City, Auckland
Each day you go over the plan for the day, the sale targets and store focus You share ideas about the store and clothing products before jumping into sales - there is a good team focus because all sales assistants have an active role in the store and work together. The hardest part is that it is mostly females and very specifically female fashion so it can be a bit of an unbalanced work environment for some - on the other hand some actively seek this type of workplace and benefit from an abundance of femininity and female support. Many team members make life long friends.
Pros
Lots of training
3 March 2020
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) - Newmarket, Auckland
At first I was super excited to start at max because I’m a plus size girl always dreaming of working in the retail/fashion industry. When I started, not only was I body shamed but also told to “don’t worry I’ll have you running around so you’ll lose heaps of weight” because I didn’t fit their clothes the way they wanted it to. The fact that these people felt so comfortable saying this to me was disgusting and degrading. I was also accused of stealing money, clothes and a whole heap of other things. It sucks bcos im not only big but I’m also a person of colour. I couldn’t help but to think that I was being mistreated because of my skin colour. I speak for all women of colour and the plus size sisters out there, I recommend you don’t work here. The environment is so toxic and degrading it’s not worth waking up in the morning and coming to work not knowing what else is going to be said about you. People talk behind your back like it’s their job to. And management, need to fix that up. Max, all I have to say is you need to fix your attitude on the perception of big women in your clothes. You should be encouraging not putting people down. There’s not always bad days at max but the bad days out weigh the good by miles.
17 July 2019
Staff Member (Former Employee) - Queenstown
Toxic management, racist. Worst workplace Ever. The manager and her friend staff are racist. They don’t see the good side of the employees. The manager don’t appreciate or see her other staff member talent. Waste of time to work there.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Poor management, toxic environment
  1. Bad culture, worse management