Maxshop
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Maxshop Employee Review

Fun "fashion" environment

11 February 2019
Each day you go over the plan for the day, the sale targets and store focus You share ideas about the store and clothing products before jumping into sales - there is a good team focus because all sales assistants have an active role in the store and work together. The hardest part is that it is mostly females and very specifically female fashion so it can be a bit of an unbalanced work environment for some - on the other hand some actively seek this type of workplace and benefit from an abundance of femininity and female support. Many team members make life long friends.
Pros
Lots of training
3 March 2020
Same role
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) - Newmarket, Auckland
At first I was super excited to start at max because I’m a plus size girl always dreaming of working in the retail/fashion industry. When I started, not only was I body shamed but also told to “don’t worry I’ll have you running around so you’ll lose heaps of weight” because I didn’t fit their clothes the way they wanted it to. The fact that these people felt so comfortable saying this to me was disgusting and degrading. I was also accused of stealing money, clothes and a whole heap of other things. It sucks bcos im not only big but I’m also a person of colour. I couldn’t help but to think that I was being mistreated because of my skin colour. I speak for all women of colour and the plus size sisters out there, I recommend you don’t work here. The environment is so toxic and degrading it’s not worth waking up in the morning and coming to work not knowing what else is going to be said about you. People talk behind your back like it’s their job to. And management, need to fix that up. Max, all I have to say is you need to fix your attitude on the perception of big women in your clothes. You should be encouraging not putting people down. There’s not always bad days at max but the bad days out weigh the good by miles.
8 July 2019
Same role
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) - Bayfair, Bay of Plenty
I worked at Max for 3 months and can honestly say I have never worked for anywhere that treats their employees as horribly as Max Fashions does. There are no pros about working here- the hierarchy between employees is ridiculous. My manager had absolutely zero managing skills at all. All of the other employees including myself worked between 40-50 hours a week (always overtime) literally working sometimes 10-12 hour days (which is super unnecessary for RETAIL) and never got any recognition for the effort we put in for the company. While our manager, who left at 2:30 or earlier every day for no apparent reason, was praised for doing literally the bare minimum but bringing in one top dollar sale per day. Girls who are on salary are expected to work over time but do not get paid for any overtime they work unless it is approved by the regional manager- which never happens. The regional manager for the north island store is extremely unfair on her employees. A regional manager should be supportive and aware of animosities between managers and employees but she choses to ignore anything and everything that isn’t to do with sales. The discount isn’t worth the mental and emotional stress the job puts you through. Shame on you Max.
Pros
Cons
Literally everything
6 June 2019
Same location
Store Manager (Former Employee) - Auckland
Poor culture, lack of communication and transparency throughout the business, unprofessional and unaccountable regionals that make the position very difficult. Max does not value any of its employees and the staff turnover rate is extremely high. If regionals were provided with better training and more accountability of their behaviour during store visits, Max would be better off. Managers are expected to work unpaid of up to 10hrs a week, teams are constantly understaffed and no support is provided from HO. My worst work experience of date, would not recommend joining this business.
Pros
Staff discount.
Cons
Unpaid hours, understaffed, poor and inappropriate upper management
  1. Fun "fashion" environment